Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The Client Wants The Copyright, Is there A difference Price For That?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Client Wants The Copyright, Is there A difference Price For That?

A liittle advice pleas.

In the A5 help it states
    "You retain the copyright on your application files. Alpha Software retains the copyright on the Alpha Five Runtime files."

There is an app that I created for a client, now close to the end of the warranty period that I gave, I have been told that they are drafting up a contract for me to review and sign to legally give them the copyright of the app.
    That's not a topic that I have ever given much thought to.
    However I remember hearing hearing a programmer said once, that to give the client copyright of a particular app that he made for them, they would have to pay like $50,000 dollars for it, whereas the original price was $10,000

Is this the usual routine? do you multiply the price in several folds to give the client the copyright?

I have a meeting with them in 3hrs, and I'm not sure how to respond. Would appreciate a bit of guidance on this topic.

Re: The Client Wants The Copyright, Is there A difference Price For That?

Nigel,

I'm not a lawyer (pharmacist, actually) but it seems that if you sell them the copyright on the application you developed that you are giving up your right to ever sell the app again, and they could then sell your app as their own.

Is that what you want?

Bob Arbuthnot

BTW it's possible that any lawyers that frequent this forum would be reluctant to give their opinion on this because they would incur liability in doing so.

Comment

Wow, seems its more delicate than I thought.

I think their reason is they dont want it to reach their competitors hands. I'm lost at:
      1) No, I have the copyright, and may sell it to another company in this industry, or
      2) well you did pay me to create it, and work with me to weed out all the bugs. So you are entitled to this unique custom built app.

I have no idea which angle to approach it from.
      So I'm thinking of a 3rd optin: they are a long time client of miones, and I do want to keep them happy.

How would you aproach such a request? Thanks for your time and assistance.

Comment

Nigel,

As stated, you could never sell the app or in most cases, a similar app to someone else in that type business.

One rule I live by religeously. I retain rights to ownership and sales. Client has the right to use same for a fee.

Another that is just as important: Never sign a contract drawn up by the other party. There are generally too many pitfalls.

Remember, it is generally less money to you when you work with a client to develope an app. It is also, generally accepted that you took less because you feel there would be future rewards when you finished the app.

Also, no 2 companies will want the exact same application. They will want changes. example: I have sold 24 copies of my app and every one of them are a little different. No one is happy with exactly the same as another company.

You are the programmer and business owner. You have the right to any copyrights on the app you develope. You also have the right to sell the app or rights to use it to anyone you want.

This is all a moot point if your agreement was to give them ownership rights when you entered into your original agreement.

You can check with any attorney and I think he will agree.

Now, if the company you are dealing with purchased the developemant app from alpha and you were on payroll, it belongs to them. My opinion. If you did the work with your own developement alpha program at your own desk in you own business/home, it is yours. If you contracted to do certain things for that company, it could be theirs or yours. It depends on the circumstances.

One thing you do not want to do is sign anything that would keep you from working for one of their competitors. You also don't want to sign anything that would keep you from duplicating(different from copying) anything within the app. Partly why I said have YOUR attorney check or write any agreement.

By refusing to sign their agreement, you are safer than agreeing to sign whatever they give you. If you sign it, you could wind up in court for years if they feel you violated the agreement.

If they wanted rights to the app, they should have discussed that up front.

These are my opinions - I am not a judge. Judges don't always agree with the right side of a situation. They don't always agree with each other.

I would simply express my displeasure in a nice way, take the agreement they gave me and have an attorney look it over. Have him either rewrite it or return it as unacceptible. Thatr would depend on your understanding of the agreement. Be careful that you don't get your hands tied up.

This got too long!

In summary - I would simply explain that I never give up a copyright to any app I develope, so any agreement would be a waste of time. If they have a problem with that, they will get over it when they need you again.

These are all opinions of mine and not to be used as anything else. I have dealt with contracts for many years. I have lost a few, but won many more in court. I am not an attorney, but sure have hired a few.

as an aside, all my apps have something in them that is timed and mostly hidden that may explode the app one day. Any other programmer working on the app could get a surprise or two. At the very least, password protect some of you scripts and functions so others will not be able to change them later. If I were having a thought that someone was getting close to replacing me on my app to work more on it, I would imediately password protect my work and more. That is me, but probably not you.

Last edited by DaveM; 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

My suggestion is do not allow yourself to be presented with a "fait accompli". The contract they draft will be written to protect their position and not yours. So get hold of it and read it carefully. Strike out those parts that you do not agree with or do not understand. Insert your own parts that protect your rights. Do not sign anything that prevents you from earning a living designing and developing applications.

Add a paragraph that says, in effect, you are free to use any utilized concept, idea, design element, code, logic or formulae in any other application you develop.

A couple of other tips. As far as practicable put all your Alpha Five code into global scripts and only deliver a compiled application to the user. This makes it much more difficult for anyone other than yourself to reverse-engineer the application or to otherwise dissect and re-use its parts. Some recommend you password protect your scripts too, but I personally do not think this is always necessary.

On your application's "About" screen, state the copyright belongs to you: e.g. "Copyright ABC Software Inc". This is more easily done if you do it right from the outset rather than try to introduce it after the event.

In my experience you should sign away the copyright on an application you have developed only in rare circumstances.

Comment

Like Brett, but see an attorney. Remember, if the rights were not discussed in front, they are your rights. They would not be drafting a contract/agreement is they thought they had a chance.

Compiling is a great idea. Then all your code is in an aex file and not so easily accessible. I password mine, but not everybody does.

In these matters, I have always sopen to the adversary in a very matter of fact and strong language. Not to be rude or out of place. State your position.

In case you did not figure it out, I am very biased to someones rights when they did the sweat.

Case where it was the other way: friend owns a software company with one main program. A programmer managed to take most of it and reproduce the rest. It is copyrighted. He managed to shut the programmers new company down. It took a year, but got done. The programmer started at the company, learned at the company, got paid to work at the company and used company tools. When he left, he purchased his own(identical) tools.

Another case: programmer worked for a well known in the field software company. He worked at home mostly and came in to make sure his portion of the app was working into the main app. When he left, he used a lot of the code(maybe all) he was paid to develope at another competing company. He was taken to court and he won. He had his own tools, worked on his own, and was paid by the piece. The judge said he got paid for what worked and did not get paid for the parts that did not work. The code belonged to him to do whatever he wished.

There was no written agreement in either case.

Nigel, from now on, maybe a contract in fron t is a good idea?

If they offer a monetary sum, you have a decision. It also means they recognize you have rights.

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Ok guys, thanks alot for your guidance.
              I was asking if there should be a different price for signing over the copyright to them, but I realize thats not even a thought that you all entertain, You are saying, dont sign it over, dont sell it, keep it.

So far, this is my second app that I've done for a client, and this topic never came up in the 1st. I didnt want to do anything I wasnt sure of, so I asked for today's meeting to be set for next Tuesday instaed (awaiting your responses).
              Thanks to you all I'm more confident of what my response should be.

We never did discuss ownership of the app untill now some 5 months after the project commenced. when I recieved the email stating that a contract is being drafted. And I did do it at my studio on my computer with my own copy of Alpha.

I will explain to them that unless otherwise agreed to at the time of commencement, I have ownership of the app.

I see where Dave said, "I never give up a copyright to any app I develope"
              Then Brett said "Do not sign anything that prevents you from earning a living designing and developing applications"

With those in mind guys, I ask you not to tell me what I should do, but what you would do, if the client accepts that the ownership is yours but they are willing to negotiate a price to turn over that ownership to them.

Do you find it more feesable to turn down that offer than to up your price?
              I ask this as a new comer to you guys who have experience in that area.

Comment

Nigel,

As I stated:

If they offer a monetary sum, you have a decision. It also means they recognize you have rights.
                If I had a ready market for the app, I will keep the. rights for sure. If the market is slim, I would negotiate. Sometimes they will feel you have more chances to sell the rights than is real. Also, you stated that they do not want their competitors to have it.

No matter what, I would keep rights to reuse the code. Maybe give up rights to sell app to named competitors(for a negotiated fee).

I would NEVER sign anything at a meeting. Always take it home and show it to an attorney.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Ok, thanks dave, I'm set now on all angles.

To take a look at you asid note:
                  you stated "all my apps have something in them that is timed and mostly hidden that may explode the app one day."
                  I understand pretty much how you could set it to crash if someone else tamper with it, but the timed part I dont get. If you set a crash to happen aty a certain time in the future, how to you stop it, or delay it, if all is well?

Comment

You are right (somewhere in this thread), the customer mainly does not want their application to fall in to competitive hands. Here is the relevant language from my contract. You see it divides the copyrightable portions of the product in to several parts. Some I retain, some they get completely, some they get a license for. But get a lawyer who can draft contracts (not all of them can). I only started using this contract recently, operated mostly without prior to that. In most situations, if I wanted to take a product commercial that I built for someone else, I would, even though technically I DO own everything, I work with the client to take it to market. I figure they are due some respect for paying for it (Bob?) and it is good PR in most cases. Most often I want nothing to do with the product after it is done.

NEVER sign a contract provided by the customer unless you have it reviewed by a competent attorney. Have your own, make it part of your standard operating procedure. ALWAYS present your contract as the proper avenue for doing with with your company.

7. Copyright and Ownership of Code
                    Materials delivered under this and subsequent proposals (Agreements?) include five types of program code (where �Code� refers to program code, routines and modules needed for complete generation of the Software):
                    Category 1

a) Generic code already developed by Contractor and used in applications delivered to Customer.
                    b) Generic code developed by Contractor in response to a request by Customer during the creation of applications for Customer, but that is added to Contractor�s standard foundation.
                    c) Custom code developed by Contractor during the creation of application for Customer that may have use in a non-competitive application for another customer of Contractor.
                    d) All code and routines defined as Contractor�s �Template� in Exhibit B � AlphaToGo Desktop and Web Templates.

Category 2

e) Custom code developed by Contractor during the creation of application for Customer that is strictly proprietary to the application that Contractor is developing for Customer and gives Customer a competitive edge.

Category 3

f) A variety of third-party tools and other elements that are the property of a third-party company and used by Contractor for the purpose of development of this application (software?).
                    Contractor retains all copyright and patent rights with respect to materials described in Category 1, and grants to Customer a permanent, non-exclusive license to use and employ such materials within their business. Contractor will include Copyright notice in the Software to indicate ownership of this code.
                    Contractor assigns all copyright and patent rights with respect to materials that fall under Category 2 to Customer upon full payment.
                    Items that fall under Category 3 remain the property of the third-party company, but Contractor will supply Customer with information necessary to license said tools and other elements should Customer desire.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by nigeldude View Post
                      With those in mind guys, I ask you not to tell me what I should do, but what you would do, if the client accepts that the ownership is yours but they are willing to negotiate a price to turn over that ownership to them.

Do you find it more feesable to turn down that offer than to up your price?
                      OK, understood. It's up to you now what price you set and agree upon, but set it on the higher side so you have room to negotiate.

To go to the next stage it is important to understand the reason why your client wants ownership. Perhaps they don't want you to sell the application to a competitor; maybe they don't want you to profit at their perceived expense because they have already funded it; maybe they have a possibly ill-conceived company policy/ IT department/ legal advice that says they must secure the copyright; maybe they just want to secure the data in the application of which you may already have a copy; perhaps they are concerned about protection of company intellectual property that is contained in the application that they don't want competitors to have access to; maybe they want to market and sell the application themselves.

In the case of the data that's not a problem. I always undertake to a client that company specific data incorporated into the application or supplied for testing purposes etc will *never* be disclosed to another party. So that requires no negotiations or payment from them.

I'm sure you will appreciate in the space available here I cannot really go into a lot of detail on the rest of the reasons. The answer may depend on additional factors too. But the point I want to make is that if they go ahead and secure the copyright it may not safeguard their interests and may not fulfill their original reason/s for wishing to act. A non-disclosure agreement may be more appropriate; an on-going support and maintenance agreement; an escrow agreement (where you provide the application source to an independent 3rd party who undertakes to only make available the source to the client in pre-defined extra-ordinary circumstances).

So my question now to the client would therefore be: What do you wish to achieve by securing the application copyright? Then take it from there. Maybe what they want to achieve will not cost you or them anything and you may still own the copyright!

Comment

By the way, someone mentioned timebomb code in their applications. Companys have successfully been sued for damages by the client when they triggered such an event.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hey Steve, I love that excerp from your contract, may I use that? (I have to ask, it may be copyrighted :D)

I'm not sure I'ld want to try the timebomb codes, I like the password protection and the compiling though,

I love the point made by Brett to find out "" what they wish to achieve by securing the application copyright? I'm deffinitly gonna go with that.

I really appreciate all the responses guys, this is a huge topic for me, and without you all, I doubt i could feel as comfortable as I do now, even with a lawyer on my side.

Comment

Hi Nigel,

There is another consideration. You built this application for your client, the fact that they want you to sign the rights to them, indicates they recognize that you own them.

Now, why do they want the rights? Is it simply so that you do not approach a competitor company or, they can see a market potential? If it is the latter, perhaps you should then think about letting them do the marketing and you take a royalty.

How specialized is your client? Are they very big and there is very little chance of another company ever wanting your app? If so then sell them the rights for a big fat fee.

If there is a market potential and you can spend the time and effort in selling your app into that market, then you do not sell the rights.

In fact you make it perfectly clear that Alpha Software own the rights to the software, you own the rights to the application and they have no right to sell or copy the application other than for security and backup.

See thumbnail of Copyright I have on an About button on the Main Menu.

What has not been mentioned is service and support, if you sell them the rights, what happens next? Will that be built into the contract?

See also this thread http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=66518

I trust this has given you some extra things to think about. If you get to the point where contracts need to be signed, get a Lawyer.

Bottom line is Protect Yourself. Good Luck.
                            Last edited by Keith Hubert; 09-20-2008, 01:19 AM. Reason: Added thread
                            Regards
                            Keith Hubert
                            Alpha Guild Member
                            London.
                            KHDB Management Systems
                            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

That's a very nice copyright notice, Keith.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X