Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Novice looking for a point in the right direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novice looking for a point in the right direction

I have been playing around with Alpha Five on and off for a couple years but have never really gotten a good grasp of it. I just upgraded to Version 9 and have decided to get serious with it. I manage a MySQL database for the volunteer fire department I am a member of and want use Alpha Five to develop an application to display some information and run some reports against it.

I have scoured the message board, read the tutorials and user guide, watched the videos, worked through Susan Bush's book, plodded about half way through Peter Wayne's book and still can't seem to be able to do exactly what I want to accomplish. I think I am getting somewhere and I only end up with something that doesn't work quite right or I get more confused.

Here's the scenario;

I have a table (pers) with member info with a key field of 'persid'. There is also a table of incident records (nfirsmain) with key field of 'nfirsmainid'. Next there is a table of attendance records for the incidents (nfirsatt) with linking fields.

We also have a similar table for non-incidents such as meetings, drills, trainings, etc called ni, with attendance records in the table called niatt.

What I want to do is create a form that starts out with a summary of attendance by member, filtered by year through a combo box. Then the user should be able to select either tabs or via conditional objects a detail view of each category, for example on member x summary page it shows him how many incidents he attended, how many drills, meetings etc. and then the detail page (tab) shows him a list (in a browse) of each particular event. I also need to do additional calculations on the count of records to display some conditional items. This all needs to be based on a chosen year.

I started a form (Main) that is partially working but not quite right. The combo box seems to filter the records upon change, but only about 3 or 4 times and then you have to hit F5 to get the browse to refresh. The count of the records does not work at all.

Would somebody please help get me pointed in the right direction. It seems like this should be simple to do but I have been struggling with it for days.

I have attached the database and hope it is clearer upon looking at it.

Re: Novice looking for a point in the right direction

Hi Doug,

Welcome to Alpha.

You say you have been playing around with Alpha for a couple of years but I see this is your first message on this forum, so welcome.

The browse on your Main form as you have it, needs to have a query ran against it to view the number of records for a selected year. The refresh will not do this alone.

I would suggest you keep this a simple as possible to start with and build in the complexity as you get a better understanding of how Alpha works.

Have a good look at AlphaSports.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Keith, I have been reading the message board for those "couple of years" and the amount of help you regular posters give is amazing!

I will take your suggestion of starting simple and building from there.

I'll also look into querying against the browse to filter it. Did it look like I have my set built properly to achieve what I want?

I'm going back to the manuals again but I must say thay are seriously in need of some work. The documentation is not up to date and doesn't match what they are trying to refer to. The code in the documentation doesn't match the code in the application, the manual is from prior versions and hasn't been updated to reflect changes. Many of the replies to new users send them to the manual or Alpha Sports but I find myself spending a lot of time trying to match an old manual against newer code and methods. I could understand the lack of revisions in a printed manual but since this is electronic it would seem like Alpha could easily change something as simple as Alpha Five Version 8 to Alpha Five Version 9 on the title pages.

I'll get off my soapbox now and get back to trying to learn this properly.

Comment

Hi Doug,

I have fixed your filter for the browse to show selected year.
        [quot]Did it look like I have my set built properly to achieve what I want?[/quote]Not for whay you have built so far, but it could be for how tha app develops.

You have the member as the master table, but only show one member on the main form. How ar you going to view/find and select other members?

You have many child tables in the set, tip: Only have the the tables you need in a set for the task in hand.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

My plan is to have a record navigation setup similar to the Customers form in Alpha Sports to select the member.

I designed the set that way because eventually I need to include the NI attendance records in the same form for a summary view. I have gone through many different ideas of how to present the data but for the purposes of this application the two different record sets need to be viewed together.

I tried your fixed form but it is still not working correctly. When the form is first opened it will filter upon selection of the year for about the first 2 or 3 times but then it stops filtering. If you go into design mode and then back to form view it starts working again but only 2 or 3 times. Sometimes pressing F5 will refresh the browse but not always. It was doing that with me also with the way I had the OnChange event. Any ideas?

Comment

Actually this problem is very inconsistant. I just tried it again and thought it was related to a particular year but upon trying it again it works correctly for many tries in one session and then in another session it comes back. Hmmmm.....

Comment

Hi All,

I have looked at this app for Doug and the problem is that the browse does not refresh after the OnChange event of the ComboBox Variable.

The strange thing is, the Browse does work, after a value is selected, the form is put into design mode and then back to view mode.

I would like to understand what needs to be fixed, as I'm sure Doug does.
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I see the behaviour as well. Once the browse seems to stop refreshing try scrolling the browse records and then it starts to refresh again for a couple of times.

After noticing this I changed the OnChange of the vcyear to
                Code:
                topparent:Browse1.fetch_first()
                and it refreshed consistantly.
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Thanks for looking at this.

The browse did refresh but only after the form had been in design mode first.

As soon as you view the form from the CP it stops working.
                  Regards
                  Keith Hubert
                  Alpha Guild Member
                  London.
                  KHDB Management Systems
                  Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Hi,

I have looked around some of my old apps and found the following.

this.resynch()
                    tbl=table.current()
                    tbl.index_primary_put("date1")
                    tbl.fetch_first()
                    browse1.index_set("date1")
                    browse1.resynch()
                    browse1.refresh()

This code was used behind a date variable that was changed by an AxtiveX Calendar. The code was the OnChange Event which refreshed the Browse.

You can see from the code the browse was refreshed from an Index.

Maybe that will give another thought.
                    Regards
                    Keith Hubert
                    Alpha Guild Member
                    London.
                    KHDB Management Systems
                    Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                    X