Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

multi-line text field bonded to variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multi-line text field bonded to variable

Hello everyone.
    Need some quick help now...

How to put multi-line text field bonded to variable on a form.
    I need something like memo field on the form but without the memo field in table. I am constructing form that will be used to insert data to the table and all the input data from users is stored in the variables.

Re: multi-line text field bonded to variable

What seems to be the probem? You can size the variable field on the form as you wish and turn word-wrap on. You just can't use the enter key without it causing you to leave the field.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      You just can't use the enter key without it causing you to leave the field.
      That's the problem.....

Comment

J, the DBF format isn't equipped to accommodate non alpha or non numeric keys in character fields. It's been that way for a long long time. Use a memo field.

Comment

Or, you can use an XDialog box to capture the input data, and then have XBasic enter the data into the record. With XDialog, you can pretty much do whatever you need.
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
            Or, you can use an XDialog box to capture the input data, and then have XBasic enter the data into the record. With XDialog, you can pretty much do whatever you need.
            That sounds like something... but i don't want another window popping-up.
            I know that in V9 you can somehow embed xdialog on the for - but i don;t really know how to do that.
            Some example of embedded xdialog on the form with variables communicating between the form and xdialog will be really appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by JarekZ View Post
              That sounds like something... but i don't want another window popping-up.
              I know that in V9 you can somehow embed xdialog on the for - but i don;t really know how to do that.
              Some example of embedded xdialog on the form with variables communicating between the form and xdialog will be really appreciated!
              It doesn't have to pop up, it can replace the form entirely. I hav en't used embedded xdialog, but suspect it's the same as a modeless dialog just displayed within the window of the form.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

I am not the original poster of this thread, but am after something similar.

I have attached an sample for review. I used an embedded xdialog with the variable bound to a table field. It could be bound to a form var - I think.

What I would like is to get rid of the vertical scroll bar and limit the box to 5 lines, so when the user enters 5 lines or hits enter 5 times, it advances to the next field.

Thanks, Dan
                - Dan Hooley
                - Custom Desktop or Web database development -

Comment

Originally posted by JarekZ View Post
                  I need something like memo field on the form but without the memo field in table. I am constructing form that will be used to insert data to the table and all the input data from users is stored in the variables.
                  Skipping through a lot of responses:
                  1-Put the variable on the form
                  2-Adjust the width to the desired value, most likely it will be a large number to accomodate multi-lines
                  3-Check word wrap
                  4-If you wish to add a hard return within the variable object, use CTRL-Enter

Comment

could you suppress the enter press and return a ctrl-enter instead? Never knew ctrl-enter worked in text boxes, good thing to know.
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aws View Post
                      could you suppress the enter press and return a ctrl-enter instead?
                      I am pretty sure you can. I am afraid I am not able to play with this now and others should be able to provide you with a way to do that. I will give you a pseudo code to get you going:

if pressed button is {Enter} .and. if active object is the text object
                      then
                      send_keys CTRL-Enter
                      end if

Comment

You can catch the enter key being pressed with the form onkey event and then use sys_send_keys to replace it with the ctrl enter that Gabriel suggested.

If your type in field object name is field1 then the following will work. Otherwise you will need to change it to your object name and adjust the 7 to the number of characters of your object name +1 to account for the :

I'm sure there is a better way to reference the object and hopefully one of the more experience members will chip in.

Code:
                        ' Put this in the form onkey event

active_object= current_object()
                        active_object=right(active_object, [COLOR="Red"]7[/COLOR])

IF a_user.key.value = "{ENTER}" .and. active_object = "[COLOR="Blue"]:FIELD1[/COLOR]" THEN

a_user.key.handled = .T.

IF a_user.key.event = "down" THEN
                                sys_send_keys("{ctrl-enter}")
                            END IF
                        END IF
                        For the above code you will either need to turn the tab stop off on all the form objects as it overrides the enter event as a tab. You could turn the tab stop of on all form objects with the onarrive event of field1 and then turn them on again with the on depart. Using this method you would need to trap the tab key when field1 is active and activate a particular object if pressed.

Not sure if the above makes sense but its an idea.

Comment

Thank you guys for pointing me to the right direction,
                          and also for starting other post inside this one ;)

If somebody still care about my (now i know stupid) post i am attaching what i was looking for - multiline textbox bonded with variable (not field form table!)

Comment

4-If you wish to add a hard return within the variable object, use CTRL-Enter
                            What am I missing? CTRL-Enter takes me to the next field unless in change mode, then saves record and goes to new one... same as going to the menu, records and save and enter.

Dan
                            - Dan Hooley
                            - Custom Desktop or Web database development -

Comment

Originally posted by dhooley View Post
                              What am I missing? CTRL-Enter takes me to the next field unless in change mode, then saves record and goes to new one... same as going to the menu, records and save and enter.

Dan
                              What I said was not totally correct. It will add a hard return and moves the cursor over to the next field in the tab order. So, to make it work, in your script trap the enter key, translate it to ctrl-enter, return to the previous object and place the cursor at the end of the text.
                              I wish I had time to play with this, but right now I don't.
                              Alternatively, and taking advantage of the fact that enter will move you over to the next object in the tab order:
                              Place several variables on top of each others and make them look like one object. In fact, you could leave the bottom border and that will make them look like several lines.
                              When you hit enter, it will take you to the next variable.
                              Concatenate all variables to get your desired variable.
                              Just a quick idea.
                              Last edited by G Gabriel; 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X