Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is anyone deploying in V9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone deploying in V9?

Have been following this thread

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=76121

regarding problems with V9. Although I own V9 I have yet to deploy it on my one major commercial application or any of my little "own use" apps. I guess the dialogue in the thread above begs the question (for me, anyhow): Has anyone upgraded or deployed a major app in V9?

Are the problems above and elsewhere just the usual growing pains and minor bugs, or are they more? They seem to be more. There are some features of V9 I would like to incorporate into my commercial app, but frankly, to date I'm afraid to go there.

Anyone care to reassure me as to V9?

Bob Arbuthnot

Re: Is anyone deploying in V9?

Originally posted by Bob Arbuthnot View Post
    Have been following this thread

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=76121

regarding problems with V9. Although I own V9 I have yet to deploy it on my one major commercial application or any of my little "own use" apps. I guess the dialogue in the thread above begs the question (for me, anyhow): Has anyone upgraded or deployed a major app in V9?

Are the problems above and elsewhere just the usual growing pains and minor bugs, or are they more? They seem to be more. There are some features of V9 I would like to incorporate into my commercial app, but frankly, to date I'm afraid to go there.

Anyone care to reassure me as to V9?

Bob Arbuthnot
    Bob:
    we've "deployed" 2 major applications in v9 using build
    1581_3193 as we did whatever 'work arounds' were necessary for the applications. We are currently converting 3 other major projects to version 9. We did do some upgrades on our development computers, but rolled back to to newly introduced bugs, problems, etc. We always keep our users on the original build until "all" bugs have been worked out because we know that build works. As we test newer releases, we upgrade after fully testing on our developlment computers.

Comment

Bob,

Like you I have held back and still been using V4.5 Runtimes (Although I purchased all V5, V6, V7 and V8, I skipped these)

I have recently taken the plunge with a complex V4.5 application converted to V9 using the latest build and all seem OK, I cannot fault anything as yet. I am of the opinion that all the minor and major bugs have now been sorted.

Michael

Comment

Try zipping your data base to deploy an upgrade and see if you get error of failing to close files and is unable to zip the data base.

Go to Tools and zip data base.

posted in another thread this problem.

Comment

Bob and others,
          I have to say I haven't seen any particular problems with v9 other than a few small bugs in the newer features (like active link tables), which Alpha has fixed every time I've found one. We've been using v9 for probably half a year on 12 computers; the only one that ever acts up is the one running Windows Vista which occasionally reports an error a button script when it hits a certain table.external_record_content_get() statement. Clickingn the button again makes the script run properly the next time. It's clearly a problem with Vista and some sort of network timing issue, and it's so insignificant and so occasional I haven't bothered to try to come up with a workaround. Our application does a lot of Xdialog, a lot of reporting, some emailing, uses ActiveX controls for scanning, connects to MySQL for some of its data storage -- so I think it overall does a good job of testing v9's capabilities. That said, there's only a couple of forms in the whole application, nearly all the data entry is in Xdialog, so if you're experiencing problems with browses and forms I can't comment on that.

Comment

Hello, Dr. Wayne.

I'm curious why you chose to use xdialogs for nearly all your data entry?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
              I'm just a control freak about data entry. You can completely control data entry with Xdialogs, e.g., you can store the entered data in variables and do whatever sophisticated checking you want to do before saving the record(s). For example, in a typical bill, there's an invoice header and multiple detail items. In a form-based Alpha Five application, the header is saved as soon as focus leaves the last header field, and if the user then backs out of the detail items, there's a childless invoice header saved to the database. With Xdialogs, you can enforce transaction control: you can run consistency verifications ("field rules") on all the detail items as well as the invoice header and then either abandon the entire transaction or save everything at once.
              Even in single-table entry, I think it's easier to control the user with Xdialogs -- controls and buttons can be activated and deactivated easily. And it's easy to incorporate ActiveX controls into Xdialogs.
              - Peter

Comment

Thanks.

Are you using a grid / browse control that you might care to recommend?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                  I don't use browses for data entry at all. We used them for years and it just caused problems - people made typing mistakes and didn't always see them. When I need to do detail entry I pop up an Xdialog with the fields for the detail and we have far fewer errors.
                  - Peter

Comment

Thanks, this is intriguing. Do you use a listbox to display groups of related detail records, or some other control?

I built a phone message / phone log app using only xdialog back with vers 7, and found it to be quite a bit of extra work. I wanted to emulate a form based on a single table, including navigation buttons, enter, edit, delete, save, cancel, and so on. I succeeded and learned a lot in the process, but it was a lot of trouble. Haven't gone beyond that to experiment with multi-pane xdialogs, or cascading dialogs. Haven't tried to use listboxes or other controls within an xdialog. Guess I'll have to get your book out and get busy!

Thanks again.

-- tom

PS. Hope the BoSox fans in your office won't hold a grudge against our Rays, at least not for long!

Comment

We have a moderate-size application -- about 35 tables and same number of sets, 45 forms, numerous operations & scripts, etc. -- which we have deployed to about 45 locations. We started with version 7, upgraded to 8, and then quickly upgraded to verson 9 because problems we were seeing in 8 were fixed in 9. In my opinion, version 9 is by far the best of the three versions. It does not seem to have the parsing errors displayed in version 8, and it is faster than version 7. Once we got people upgraded and got all the indexes properly rebuilt, we have found version 9 to be very stable. I believe that none of the problems called in by our users in the past 30 days were the fault of A5. Instead, they were typically operator and (sometimes) application related errors.

I recommend upgrading to version 9 as quickly as is practical, but the more versions you must upgrade from, the more difficult it probably will be.

-- Dick James

Comment

John & Dick,
                        Good to hear that your apps are functioning well.

Peter, thank you for responding - you're way ahead of those of us that are still wedded to forms and browses! But good to hear you've not experienced problems.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the response here, though. I'm surprised that more haven't responded enthusiastically to forge ahead with V9, but maybe that's just human nature. Cal Locklin just mentioned in another thread that he has 2 V9 apps out working well enough, and a 3rd that's giving him problems.

I think I failed to mention in my initial post that my commercial app was begun in V7 and brought forward into V8 as soon as V8 was released, so I'm not looking at a V5 to V9 jump, just a V8 to V9...

Any others care to chime in?

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

Bob:

I have an older app that I built at a former employer for managing a small warehouse. I recently purchased v9 to resue the app and maybe get it on the web, thinking that the development time would be a bit faster, but I have to say I am not a happy camper.

Bugs have turned up that make this unstable, IMO, and the application I'm running is not that complex. On v6 & v7 it worked perfectly.

On v9:
                          I have the dreaded "A_CASE" bug in the calculated fields. There is a workaround - fix the code then shut down and restart A5 - but WTF?

On all of my lookup dialogs (using action scripting, not Xbasic) I've always had the dialog close after the lookup was done. Now after the lookup, the entire form closes! I have to make the dialogs modeless, which leaves the dialog open. I can just picture what a client would think of that.

My screen blinks like a disco light when A5 is running. It does stop when I restart A5, but a video issue now? BTW, my PC is a Pentium Dual Core, 2GB of ram, and 256 MB of video memory. It's as good as it gets at this level, yet earlier versions of A5 ran better on hardware 1/5 the muscle of this machine.

I'm a long time user of Alpha products, going back to A4 v1 in DOS. Each release of A5 seems to introduce bugs. I'm not a professional developer, so I don't have any more exposure than my own needs, but if this happens on these fairly lightweight apps, then, if I were developing for clients, I would be loathe to install a new version until it was completely vetted.

Yes, I'm writing this and it's late and I'm a bit grumpy, but nothing is exaggerated.
                          Ed Merritt
                          UniversalWorkshop.com

Listen; there's a hell of a good universe next door: let's go.
                          e.e. cummings

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Merritt View Post
                            Bob:
                            My screen blinks like a disco light when A5 is running. It does stop when I restart A5, but a video issue now? BTW, my PC is a Pentium Dual Core, 2GB of ram, and 256 MB of video memory.
                            I recently purchased a copy of v9 for home use. Nothing major, just order tracking and inventory for one of the bowling alley pro-shops in town that I help out in and drill balls, do repairs whatever...but I had the same disco ball problem when I had first installed it. I went and updated the driver for my video card and it seemed to clear it up. Might wanna try that. The system was an AMD(cause theres no other way to be imo) quad core system, with 4GB ram and a 1GB nvidia(also the only way to go imo) vid card. I built the system for gaming mostly but it handles v9 like a champ. Just thought I would chime in about the disco comment. :)
                            Joel Domen
                            Material Resources and Planning Manager
                            NAFCO Industries

Comment

Working...
                            X