Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem of recent db not showing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem of recent db not showing

Anyone have the probelm of a db not showing up in the Select dialog (recent databases) ? If the db is opened then closed it does not show. On the edit list is simply - c:
    The only way to acces it (other than code) is to select 'more databases' then go through the gyrations.

Thanks in Advance

Re: Problem of recent db not showing

Nope.

I've noticed what you describe because the db gets dropped from the list after I change the folder name where the db is stored, or if I move the db to a different drive or folder. However, that's to be expected.

Comment

Even stranger yet, if I open the db on another machine (laptop) it won't even show the - c: - Just nothing. The db appears o.k.. Compacts and all. Another stinking quirk. I'll probably have to delete the db and reconstruct it. There is only one table in it (and one form) so far. So who knows.

Comment

I am also having a problem with one database not showing up in the recent database list. Also, the folder that it is in does not show up in the recent folder list nor does it show up as having been opened when you click on File. My database was created in an earlier version of A5. Can't remember which one.

This occurs on at least two different PCs that I use this database on.

It opens fine when you navigate down to the file location and click on the file.

It also opens fine from a shortcut.

This is the only database that I have this problem. ALL others respond as expected. Some were converted from A4, other created in earlier versions of A5 and others created new.

Comment

Using Vista Home Premium and latest patch, do not see any problems (never had this problem on earlier patches, either). If I open Alpha Five main database and click on Recent Databases, I have 11 listed. If I go to File, 8 are listed. May be something else...
          "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Pete, there's a "setting" for your database that you can use to limit the number of databases displayed by your system.

Choose View from CP
            Choose Settings
            Choose Preferences
            Choose Recent File List

Comment

Hi Tom:
              I am not complaining, just verifying that my "Recent database" selection process does work. I have it set to that number.
              "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

My problem is not that the recent database list is not working but that it does NOT work for one Database that I use. I am running XP Pro SP3 and have the latest update for A5V9 (12/24/2008). I went in and opened the database that is not showing up (Income). Closed it and it was not in the recent list nor under File. I then opened an A5 database that I have not used for a while and closed it. It was now listed in the recent database list and under File. I opened the Income database again, closed it and it was not in either list. Under settings, both are set at 8 and both have 6 showing.

Comment

Victor, thanks for clarifying things (even when they were probably already clear to most readers). I now wonder whether there's something unusual in the names of the folders that that lie along the path to the misbehaving database? Any unsual punctuation, for example?

As others have mentioned above, if the path to the database can't be found (or understood) the previously used database is omitted from the "recent list".

Comment

The full name of the db is C:\CFSNEW\Church Income.adb. It acts the same when I open the file from my backup CD.

Another strange feature. When I click on the Church Income db file name, it opens and works just fine. When I close it and leave A5 open, then click on any of of the icons (create a new db, open a db, recent Databases, help, restore, application server or Exit)) none of them respond. The upper line (File, View, Tools & Help) are active and respond. Under File there is a list of recent dbs except Church Income. If I click on any other db, and close it, everything works as you would expect and there is a list of recent dbs.

Tom, thanks for all your time and effort. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas (or Holiday) and a Happy new Year.

Comment

Victor, the terminology is tricky and easily misconstrued. Pardon me if I misinterpret your post. Two further ideas occur to me.

1) You should not be opening the database by clicking on the ADB file while using Windows Explorer. Either start it from a shortcut that Alpha created, or start Alpha Five, then use File / Open Database. While clicking on the ADB file name worked fine in vers 4, in more recent versions it's no longer the correct method to employ.

2) It's remotely possible the blank space in the name of your database is causing the database to not appear in your list of recently used databases. Throughout Alpha Five it's a mistake to use blank spaces in object, field, table, or set names. Use an underscore instead. "Church_Income" NOT "Church Income".

-- tom

Comment

Tom, normally I use Icons or the recent database list. But since Church Income does not show up there, I sometimes resort to other tricks. Does this also apply to using My Recent Documents in the the Start Button? That's my favorite. And Church Income.adb shows up there and works fine.

As far as the spaces in the db name, I have more dbs with spaces than not. And this is the only one that has this "feature".

I know that when you leave spaces in field names, calculated fields, etc, A5 puts in the underbar. But not for names of tables, sets, reports and all the rest of items on the control pannel. I would have thought that they would do the same if it was essential just for consistancy.

The one issue with this that crys "BUG" is the fact that A5 actually changes the way it responds when you open Church Income as the first db and then close the control panel leaving A5 running.

The window displayed has the banner bar on top with Alpha Five displayed.
                        Next line has File, View, Tools & Help (what is this line called?) which al work
                        Next line is a Tool Bar (correct ?) with several Icons none of which work including the X Exit button.

From every other db that I have, these icons all work after closing the control panel.

In January I will be backing up everything and deleting all records prior to starting recording income for 2009. At that time I will try to rename the db using underscore instead of the blank and see if that eliminates my issue.

Tom, once again thanks for all your time and effort.

Comment

Victor, I suggest you open the database only from within Alpha Five using the File / Open Database menu option. Alternatively, use the Tools menu to create a shortcut to the database, and then open the database from the shortcut. I've never heard of anyone else opening their database from the Windows Start button, using the Recent Documents sub-menu. Perhaps it's fine. Couldn't say. I don't use it. I'm stuck in a rut I guess. -- tom

Comment

Working...
                          X