Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

creating sets bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creating sets bug?

Hi everyone,

I have three tables:
    1) Contact_information(id, name, phone, email, etc) - this one stores personal data
    2) Organization (id, title, etc) - data about organizations
    3) ConOrg (id_con, id_org) - this table stores data about contact belonging to different organizations (since one contact can participate in several organizations, this is a separate table)

Now I'm trying to create a set that will only show me those contacts who participate in organizations. In order to be able to search contacts by organization parameters I have to connect all three tables in a set.

1) I connect Contact_information to ConOrg requiring Contact_information.Id = ConOrg.id_con, Link_type is One-to_many, Include record from parent table = Only if a matching child record DOES exist. This works great.
    2) I connect ConOrg to Organization requiring ConOrg.id_org = Organization.id, Link type is One-to-One, Include record from parent table = Only if a matching child record DOES exist. If I do that and try to open a set a5 consumes 100% CPU and that's all.

However if I do "Include record from parent table=Always", the set is opening normally.

I want to make "Include record from parent table=Only if a matching child record DOES exist" in order to filter contacts based on information stored in Organization table.

Why doesn't the set work with this settings? Is it a5 bug or I'm doing something incorrectly?

Re: creating sets bug?

Hello, Olga.

I don't have a lot of experience with the "include record from parent table only if a matching child DOES exist" option. It's possible that you have bumped into a bug, but there may be other explanations.

May I suggest you zip a copy of the database and attach it to a reply post in this thread? This will give others a chance to corroborate your findings, or perhaps to explain a different cause.

Later...

I built a two table set, using a one to one link, and don't seem to have any problem with the set design editor, or how a form behaves when based on the set. See the attached example. What's different in your case? For example, do you have no matching child table records?

-- tom
    Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 11-21-2008, 09:21 AM. Reason: To attach example

Comment

Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply!
      I do not have any problems when I connect two tables too... The problem occurs when I connect 3 tables (or more).

I have attached my database example to this post. This example DOES work (because tables ConOrg and Organization are linked with property "Include record from parent table"="Always"). But as soon as this link property is changed to "include record from parent table only if a matching child DOES exist" it is not possible to open a set any more...

Any ideas please?

I would really appreciate any help..

Thank you very much,
      Olga

Comment

Olga, I'll be surprised if that will ever work. Your desired set design gives Alpha Five conflicting instructions.

1) In the first link (between parent and child, one-to-many) you tell Alpha to include all the children that are linked to the parent.

2) in the second link (between child and grandchild, one-to-one) you want to tell Alpha to include only those children that have grandchildren.

Alpha may be hanging because it can't do both things your set design would require it to do.

These are inconsistent and, to my way of thinking, incompatible instructions. However, as I mentioned above I rarely use this option in my set designs. Maybe someone else here will have different ideas on this.

It will help if you tell us what it is that you want to accomplish with the "misbehaving" set. We may be able to suggest alternatives.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your explanations very much. May be you can advise me the better way to construct a set if what I want to do is:

1) I'm going to use this set in a search engine. Example of the search: show the list of contacts who belong to specific organization
          2) Contact_information table should be the main table in this set since I plan to add more tables to it (to search contacts based BOTH on activities they participated in and organizations they belong to).

My general idea was like that:
          When I define a filter for organization table (i.e. organization.title="Hilton") I want to have in ConOrg only those organizations ids that reference to "Hilton" organization. And thus I will have only those contacts, who are attached to this organization... In other words, using this set I wanted to reach a result similar to the following SQL statement:

select distinct contact_information.id_number, contact_information.name
          from contact_information, ConOrg, organization
          where organization.title="Hilton"
          and organization.id_number = ConOrg.id_num_org
          and contact_information.id_number = ConOrg.id_num_con

Is that possible somehow?

Thank you very much for your answers, they are really helpful for me,
          --
          Olga

Comment

My SQL is pretty weak, too <grin>, but I think you'd do it this way in Alpha Five:

Define a new set.
            Make Organization table primary
            Make ConOrg table child, link 1 to many on id_num_org
            Make Contact_Information table grandchild, link 1 to 1 (id_num_con to id_number)

Open the default form for this new set.

Query the form for all Organization records where the "Name" field is "Bank of America".

In the browse object below you'll see only contacts that relate to that Organization.

Does that help?

Later...

If you're unfamiliar with how set based forms work, play with the default form for the set I've just described. Fetch the next Organization record. Notice that the list of linked contacts changes automatically. Fetch the previous, and see that it works both ways. Experiment and have fun. You may find that you don't have to run any queries at all.

-- tom
            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your help!
              But my goal is to be able to search not only using data from "Organization" table, but also from other ones, i.e. also on "Activities", for example to have the list of all contacts who belong to specific organization and participated in specific activity... In this case making "Organizations" table a primary one is not an option from my point of view... : ((

Thanks,
              Olga

Comment

Olga, I guess I misunderstood you when you said:

I'm going to use this set in a search engine. Example of the search: show the list of contacts who belong to specific organization
                The suggested set I described does exactly this.

Since I don't know what your search engine interface will look like, and since I don't know the format of the lists you wish to build, there's little more I can suggest. Good luck with your project.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                X