Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mask Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mask Issue

Enclosed is a sample where I created a simple mask that has the different makeups. For the first two masks, typing in the required numbers (6 and 4 only) will produce the mask as requested (444.444h) and (44.44h). However, when I try and do the same for the third field that only has 2 required numbers, I have to hit an additional keystroke for the "h" to show up. (when typing in 44, I only get 4.4 and not 4.4h).

Is there something I am not doing correctly or could this be an Alpha issue?

What I am hoping to do is type in two numbers, say 67 and produce a mask that shows 6.7h.

Thanks
    "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Re: Mask Issue

Well, I played around with this issue some more and it seems that when a mask is created that has only one digit after the period, one needs to add a keystroke of any kind, including tabbing to get the "h" to show. If there are two or more digits beyond the period, this is not the case. The "h" shows after the final digit is entered, with no additional keystroke necessary.

Can anyone else reproduce this? Is this a normal output?

Thanks for looking....

Pete

Comment

Pete

I can't speak for version 9, but I can for version 7 and 8 - it is the same there just as you found that if you have only 1 digit after the period you need to add a keystroke to make the "h" appear.

So it looks like it has been this way for quite some time.

FWIW

Tom Baker

Comment

Thanks, Tom.
        Would you consider this "normal" or a bug. I am hoping to just enter two digits and have the mask format without any additional keystrokes, although I could tab to another field and I think the "h" would then appear (not sure, as I haven't tried it on a form yet). I don't want to send in a bug report if it just me being quirky.

Pete

Comment

Pete

If you search for Mask on this forum you would find many instances of the mask having problems that were determined to be the norm - one that comes to mind is the placeholder character - there was a very long discussion on this board about that and it was finally determined that the placeholder option should not have been there (confirmed in another posting by Selwyn).

So with that in mind, I would say that this is a normal behavior of Alpha in the masking area. You can use characters other than the period (as long as it is not one of the characters used by the mask) and it will do the same thing with only one character after it. Why - who knows. If you can get confirmation from someone running v9 that this is still the case, I would send in a bug report - it will be definitely reproduceable.

And as far as tabbing out of the field, if you have not performed the next keystroke to get the "h" to show, tabbing won't do it either - your left with 4.4 not 4.4h.

I am from the school of thought that says if it is there for your use, then you should be able to use it - Version 7 and 8 are long gone as far as updates so maybe it is time to get Version 9 fixed BEFORE 10 comes out.

If you get confirmation from someone else running v9 - by all means send in a bug report - in fact since it will be reproduceable even in Alphasports - send it in.

Tom Baker

Comment

I sent in a report, so I will see what happens....

Thanks for your input, Tom.

Pete

Comment

I have a tagNo field, which has value 000000000, and I used mask to set it as 000-000-0000, but when i go search this field, it will show no record....Please help with that. Thank you!

Comment

Is the mask placeholder stored in the field or just for display?

If the field holds 000000000, you can't search for 000-000-000 or 000-000-0000.
                There can be only one.

Comment

So that means there is no way if I just search without "-"?

Comment

If the field holds ten characters you can search for any combination of up to 10 characters. You cannot search for 12 characters.

If you want to search for 000-000-0000, then the - characters must be stored in the field.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Ok. I got you mean. I have another question, is there anyway I can search any one middle number? for example, it displays as 000-000-000, but i wanna search xxx-00x-000. is that possible? Thank you!

Comment

If you use query by expression or some other query method you can use the expression (for example)

substr(your_field_name,4,3) = "999"
                        There can be only one.

Comment

1.jpg

Could you take a look at this picture, TagNo is 123-456-789. The search part is depends on user, maybe some user will search xxx-456-xxx. Some user will search x2x-xx6-xxx. there are so many possibilities. Is there any way I can make that out? Thank you very much!

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                          If you use query by expression or some other query method you can use the expression (for example)

substr(your_field_name,4,3) = "999"

Comment

there are so many possibilities
                            It would be easier (instead of trying to allow for all those possibilities) to teach the users how to search or give them 2-3 options. Trying to allow for all possibilities would be a nightmare.
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                            X