Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Church database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Church database

Hello,
    I have just recently started working
    with A5 again after being away from it for some time.
    So needless to say I am going to be rusty to say
    the least. I am looking for a sample of a church database
    that I can look at for some examples in order to help
    give me a jump start on the project. It will need to
    be able to track the budget/finanacial books of the
    church.

Thanks.

Re: Church database

Glen, welcome back. I don't know of an example accounting program for non-profits (or for for-profits, either). There's a Membership example database in the Templates folder of your Alpha Five program files folder. Maybe that will give you some ideas that will help you get going. Building a complete accounting system from scratch is a huge task. -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
      Glen, welcome back. I don't know of an example accounting program for non-profits (or for for-profits, either). There's a Membership example database in the Templates folder of your Alpha Five program files folder. Maybe that will give you some ideas that will help you get going. Building a complete accounting system from scratch is a huge task. -- tom
      Thanks for the reply,
      I'll take a look at the example databases
      to see if there is anything there that will help.
      Right now I am looking for examples that will help
      speed the learning process. The examples don't
      necessarily need to be from an app specifically
      for a church. They can be other types of accounting
      apps that serve a similar purpose that could be viewed to help get me going in the right direction.

Comment

Hi Glen

The best example to of the many things Alpha can do is the sample application that is shipped with Alpha, called AlphaSports.

Open that up and you will see notes as to how each page was built.

If you need any further questions answered, here is best place.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Originally posted by glen65x View Post
          It will need to be able to track the budget/finanacial books of the church.
          Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
          Building a complete accounting system from scratch is a huge task.
          No offense. Are you really sure that you want to build an accounting package? If so, I suggest you use Quickbooks, or similar, instead. OTOH, if you are an accountant and a skilled programmer, then you must have your reasons and I'm sure you will succeed.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
            No offense. Are you really sure that you want to build an accounting package? If so, I suggest you use Quickbooks, or similar, instead. OTOH, if you are an accountant and a skilled programmer, then you must have your reasons and I'm sure you will succeed.
            I don’t think its going to require something quite as elaborate
            as Quickbooks. The person that will be doing the actual data
            entry was talking about using MS Excel, basically setting it up
            to where they enter dollar amounts (coming in and going out) in columns
            and having it display totals at the bottom of the page. The problem
            is neither of us really have any experience with that program.
            The only program I have experience building apps with is Alpha 5.
            So I told her I would check into building an app with alpha instead.
            Since I am going to have to build another app for myself anyway
            I decided to go ahead and persue it.
            Last edited by glen65x; 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Glen, you (& the end user) may be seriously underestimating the complexity of tracking funds that come in and funds that go out. Do you want to use the system to reconcile bank accounts? Do you want to be able to split receipts among various accounts? Do you want to be able to split payments among various accounts? Do you need to track donors? Are donors individuals or families or households? Do you want to be able to generate a report at year end for each donor? Grouped by account (ministry)? Do you need to keep running balances in restricted accounts? in general operating accounts? Do you need to be able to compare actual with a budget? Will the system require double entry to assure everything balances as you go? What level of security is appropriate? How are changes to be authorized? How about deletions? It gets complicated in a hurry.

Comment

Glen,
                In support of Peter and Tom's thoughts: Building an accounting system using Alpha is a daunting task even for a skilled database programmer. If I were you I'd consider using Alpha to maintain a list of donors and potential donors, and using Quickbooks as your accounting software. As a future task you could consider integrating the info from both systems.
                John

Comment

Glen

For what it's worth, I'm the treasurer for a 501 c3 (non-profit) corporation.

I have a pretty good idea of how to setup an Alpha 5 application...

I use QuickBooks Not-for-profit edition for all of the work that QB's will do and then supplement that with Alpha 5 to do the things that QB doesn't do.

I see no reason to re-invent the wheel for the work that QB will do. And since I don't get paid for the work I do, I do it as efficiently as I can... Even if I spend my own money to get QB to save my time from writing the A5 system that would/could replace QB.

Since I can use QODBC to have Alpha 5 read and write to QB, I can integrate as needed.

That's my nickel's worth of advice....
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD
                  Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                  Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks guys for your input,
                    I am currently speaking with this person
                    about doing it the way you suggested,
                    using Quickbooks in conjunction with A5.
                    One of the other members here says he has
                    a database ap he can show me, I'll look
                    forward to taking a look at it.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X