Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Compound interest formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compound interest formula

What would the formula be for a savings investment of $750 initially; adding $750 every 6 months, compounded semi-annually for 10 years at 8%.

Thanks

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Compound interest formula

Google led me here.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

I found that as well but wasn't sure about it's application to my situation. After further study, I presume '1' in (1 + r) = 1 year so in my case I would need to change it to '.5'.

Thank you,

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

I'm no expert but the '1' looks like a constant to me. I had a quick look at the website link and have to say they could do with putting in some better explanations. However, the FV = P (1 + r / n)Yn looks like it will do the trick. I have underlined the yn as it is a power but the editor doesn't allow superscript text.

Code:
        FV = Future value
        P= installment value
        r= rate of return (interest rate)
        n= (compound n times per year)
        y= number of years

Therefore

FV= 750(1+0.08/2)[U]10*2[/U]

FV=750(1+0.04)[U]20[/U]

FV= 750*(1.04)[U]20[/U]

FV= 750*2.191123143

FV=$1643.34
        Hope it helps.

Edit: The above doesn't take into account regular contributions like you asked. I will look at one of the other formulas on the link.

Geoff
        Last edited by gmeredith17; 12-09-2008, 06:41 AM. Reason: I picked the wrong formula - It doesn't take into account regular contributions

Comment

There is a FV() function in alpha which might be worth looking at.

Comment

Ken,

Do you know what answer you should get? The script below should work but as I haven't ever worked with compound interest formulas I'm not sure if the end result is correct or not.

Code:
            fvalue=0
            p=750
            y=10
            r=0.08
            n=2

for i=1 to y
            fvalue=((fvalue+p)*(1+r/2)^n)
            next i

ui_msg_box("",fvalue)

Comment

Kenn,

If it is compounded semi-annually, you cannot simply divide the annual rate by 2 for the semi-annual rate. A rate of 4% every six months is equivalent to an annual rate of 8.16%.

A function which takes into account the compounding every six months is shown here.
              Code:
              FUNCTION FV_Semi_Ann(nPymt as N, nInt as N, nYrs as N)
              	dim nFV as N
              	dim nInt2 as N
              	dim nFctr as N

nInt2 = (1+nInt)^(1/2) - 1
              	nFctr = ((1+nInt)^nYrs-1)/(nInt2/(1+nInt2))
              	nFv = nFctr * nPymt

FV_Semi_Ann = nFV
              END FUNCTION
              You would use this function as follows in your case:
              Code:
              Future_Value = FV_Semi_Ann(750,.08,10)
              This function could be expanded to handle other modes (e..g. quarterly, monthly, etc.) but for now is strictly semi-annual. I hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the function.

I plugged Ken's figures into an online calculator (here) which gives a different result to your function.

Do you know why this would occur?

Comment

Geoff,

It could be one of two things. First, did the online calculator assume compounding of interest every six months? If so, the interest rate every six months would be about 3.923%. Notice that (1.03923)*(1.03923)=1.079999.

Secondly, the annuity described by Kenn is an "annuity due" since the payments are at the beginning of every period. That is what my function assumes. Also, there is an "annuity immediate" which would be where the first $750 payment would be made six months from now. To calculate for the annuity immediate, only a small tweak would have to be made to my function. Namely, I would remove the "(1+nInt2)" from the nFctr expression. But since Kenn said "$750 initially", this didn't seem to apply.

I haven't investigated the online calculator yet so I'm not sure what it may be assuming.

Steve

Comment

Geoff,

I did take a look at the online calculator and found that it is not compounding every six months. It does assume that 4% interest is earned every six months which is 8.16% annually if compounded every six months.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to look and explain.

Cheers

Geoff

Comment

Not sure why do you even need a UDF?
                        Alpha's FV() is what you need; however there seems to be a flaw in alpha's FV() or perhaps I am missing something.

See related thread.

Interstingly enough, the amount I am getting matchs the amount given by the website calculator referenced by Geoff.

And threfore, the correct answer to Ken's original question:
                        A periodic investment of $750 every 6 months with annual interest of 8% paid semi annually for 10 years is:

$23,226.90

Alpha gives a different number:
                        Code:
                        ?fv(750,.08/2,20)
                        = 22333.6
                        Again, and as you will see in my comments at the other thread, alpha is giveing the amount at the beggining not the end of the last period.
                        Last edited by G Gabriel; 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X