Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Reports and Check boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reports and Check boxes

I had to do a different thread since the issue is entirely different.

On the report I'm doing, I have check boxes but they look so bad on the report. I have tried all of the radio styles and the main issue is how small it is in relation to my font in addition to the annoying box around it even though I set the border to none and transparent.

Am I missing something or should I be using something different on the report?
    Up and coming Alphaholic ;)

Re: Reports and Check boxes

Hi Elena,
    You could do as I suggested in a recent thread in that an image could be used of the appropriate size and toggled with your logical field....so you would have to find a selected and unselected image to use...using magenta (in Microsoft Paint) as the background as this is what becomes transparent in Alpha. I had used a button in the browse in the last example I gave in the related thread, but an image should work in your report I would think.

The other thread
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=76874
    Mike

Comment

Back again!

Here is a short example on a report...I ended up using a conditional on the report to show two images conditional on the logical value of the laser field.

The form that pops up shows how to do on a form without conditionals. Open up the only report to see how I ended up doing it there.
      Any questions just ask and will try to answer.

Mike

Comment

Hi Elena,

While you can do it with images, I would actually use the Wingdings or other symbol fonts to show either a unchecked or checked box character at a font size you need.
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi Ira,
          I have been tempted to utilize the wingdings font but if an application was to be distributed, any user would have to have this incorporated or it would have to become part of the application--how can it be included if this was wanted??
          Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

If you use a non-standard font, you'd be up the creek if you did not distribute the font as well. However, Wingdings has been in all windows that Alpha 5 can run on. There may be others wingding-type fonts that may be standard in Windows as well, but I have not really investigated which are native.
            Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
            Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
            CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
            CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Thanks Ira, I was not aware that WingDings was a font already included in most Window OS s. Thanks.

Elena, this image may help with the conditional...or hurt as it is a bit busy with lines now that I look at it again.

Mike

Comment

Does anybody else think this is a lot of messing around just to get a box checked on a report. This should have been something available in version 5 IMHO.

Comment

Hi Dennis,

Originally posted by Dennis Mathias View Post
                  Does anybody else think this is a lot of messing around just to get a box checked on a report. This should have been something available in version 5 IMHO.
                  The checkboxes are there, just not Elena's choice. One can argue for better flexibility in the what Alpha Fives allows, and that is for the features wishlist section. There will always be unacceptable aspects to individuals, in this case, checkboxes.

What you should take away from this thread is the ability to manipulate what you do have using alternative techniques as given. These same techniques can be used in 100's of places and make you a better developer.
                  Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                  Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                  CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                  CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Of course the versatility is there--or I wouldn't be a 15? year member of the club (since a4).
                    I remember when it used to come in a box!
                    Anyway, I'd agree except it is easy on forms. It's just there. Reports--not.

Comment

I wasn't concerned as much about using the check boxes that were provided as I was about the fact that they are really unusable in a report because of the box that always appears whether or not the logical value is true which looks really bad on the report.

I also couldn't change the size of the check box to match the font I was using. The box looked tiny beside the font when it showed up. I think it would have worked if the box could be resized and that you could make the box around it invisible.

I've attached a sample of what I'm seeing on my end.
                      Up and coming Alphaholic ;)

Comment

Elena,

In my opinion using calculated fields with the wingding font and characters (which virtually all Windows computers have) is the best way to deal with this. When the value is false you can have either an empty box or nothing at all, and the check marks or "X"'s can be whatever size you want.

Now, your sample makes it unclear as to whether you have already solved this issue, so I am not going to spend time with more details and examples unless you say still would like more help with this issue. Also, it seems to me that detail on this may have already been give on this or the V8 or V7 forum in the past. Try a search, maybe on "wingding" plus always scroll down on a post (i.e., this one) to see if previous related posts are listed.

Ray

Edit: For example: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...light=wingding

Comment

Working...
                        X