Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

FTP problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP problems

Anyone *really* understand Windows (XP) security?

I have a customer who has been using the same desktop app and the same web pages - no changes at all for at least 2 months - and the ftp function that worked yesterday won't work today. The function is ftp_put_file_modal().

Note that I did not say "FTP won't work" - only that this A5 function won't work. In fact, none of the FTP functions in Alpha will work anymore. So, my work-around is to use the 3rd party WCL_FTP.exe program to send the same files via FTP. It works first time every time.

I have one other customer who has had the same problem ever since her computer was installed. This latest customer's system was working fine yesterday. She said she hasn't added anything new herself recently but did get an unusual security warning this morning and now the FTP routines in A5 won't work anymore.

She has completely shut down her computer and restarted it with no success. All other internet access works fine.

Any thoughts on what Windows setting might have changed?

Re: FTP problems

I do not have a clue as too why the FTP functions would stop working all of a sudden. Might need to contact Alpha to determine how they functions work behind the scenes. This might be a faster method than to trying to guess at the problem.

Here is what I would try.

Uninstall / Reinstall alpha5 (I assume you already tried this)

Take a look at the event logs, anything there look interesting?
    I saw a way old post about a user having a strange issue and it was related to the windows scripting host being corrupt. Sorry don't remember who it was that posted but Lenny (from alpha) helped solve the problem. I believe a re-installation of the windows scripting could have caused it.

Is the computer part of a domain? Has the computer administrator made any behind the scenes changes?

Firewalls are allowing the ftp to get thru? I would assume yes because you say you can use another ftp client. On the other hand some firewalls block based on the executable file name (this could explain why one ftp client works and another doesn't)

What is the error message? Or is it simply no response no error type of situation.

Can also try running "sfc /scannow" it will verify the integrity of the windows system files.

Is the user administrator of the machine or in a lesser security group?

Microsoft pushed updates out last night, possible one of the updates broke the ftp.

Sorry if these ideas are all over the place, just trying to guess at what I would check first.
    Andrew

Comment

Cal

When I got in this morning and turned on my computer, there was a message that security updates were installed overnight.

When I went into Windows update center and check the status of my updates I noticed that there were five security updates installed via windows update.

I'm not saying that is the cause, but you could check the updates that were installed and remove them through add/remove software and see if it returns to normal.

Just a thought.

Tom Baker

Comment

Cal,

Do they have zone alarm installed? This caused me no end of problems as it kept clashing with windows update and at one point stopped all access to the web.

Comment

Originally posted by gmeredith17 View Post
          Cal,

Do they have zone alarm installed? This caused me no end of problems as it kept clashing with windows update and at one point stopped all access to the web.
          No. And we did shut down their existing firewall but it didn't help.

And, there is no problem with any other web access.

This is now at least the second, and I believe the third, time I've seen this. I'm shocked that apparently nobody else in the whole Alpha world has seen it. Maybe nobody else uses A5's FTP?

Comment

Have you checked the FTP server logs to see if the initial connection is being made?
            Andrew

Comment

Hi Cal,

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
              I'm shocked that apparently nobody else in the whole Alpha world has seen it. Maybe nobody else uses A5's FTP?
              I do use the FTP (mostly for web stats log processing) and can upload and download via FTP, including using ftp_put_file_modal() function in version 8 and updated to current patch a5v9.

Do you want to post some test code, or give some more details of what status messages (if any) you may see prior to it failing?
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                Hi Cal,

I do use the FTP (mostly for web stats log processing) and can upload and download via FTP, including using ftp_put_file_modal() function in version 8 and updated to current patch a5v9.

Do you want to post some test code, or give some more details of what status messages (if any) you may see prior to it failing?
                Cal

I use A5's FTP everyday in automated processes and on demand processes.
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi

probably you have already checked this but are they using a router?
                  The general recommendation is that two firewalls are a bad thing. On my systems I have no software firewall I use the one in my draytek router.

May be that although you have turned of the windows firewall a router issue is causing the problems

cheers

Ian

Comment

Poorly configured firewalls is bad thing.

Having a firewall at the edge of the network, at a division of the network and at the local machine is a good thing.
                    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                      Cal

I use A5's FTP everyday in automated processes and on demand processes.
                      So do I and my other customers. It's only a problem with some of them. (either 2 or 3 - not sure anymore) This latest one that just quit working on the same day there was a Windows update seems to make it more likely that there is something in Windows that's doing it.

I'll try going direct to the modem if I get a chance in the next few days. I don't have a lot of hope - but it is a computer so one never knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X