Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

fast add of records in an embedded browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fast add of records in an embedded browse

Hello,
    I have a form based on a set and am trying to do something I think is simple...but am struggling.

I simply want to get into a heads down data entry mode once I'm in the embedded browse. Something like this:

1) Click a button to add a new record in an embedded browse
    2) enter the data, one column at a time.
    3) After entering the data in the last column and pressing TAB, start a new row and start entering data in the new row WITHOUT having to click the button to add a new record.

Is this possible?

Many thanks,
    Slim

Re: fast add of records in an embedded browse

Originally posted by Ezslim View Post
    Hello,
    I have a form based on a set and am trying to do something I think is simple...but am struggling.

I simply want to get into a heads down data entry mode once I'm in the embedded browse. Something like this:

1) Click a button to add a new record in an embedded browse
    2) enter the data, one column at a time.
    3) After entering the data in the last column and pressing TAB, start a new row and start entering data in the new row WITHOUT having to click the button to add a new record.

Is this possible?

Many thanks,
    Slim
    I think the default for a browse is to do that. Have you found it to be different?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Here is what I did:

1) In Alpha Sports db
      2) New Form on Invoice set
      3) Custom form
      4) Select Invoice number, Customer ID, Invoice Date from the invoice header
      5) Inserted a browse into the form on the 1-to-many link on Invoice Items
      6) Inserted product id, price and quantity into the browse
      7) Saved the form

Now:
      1) run the form.
      2) Click the new record icon on the menu bar
      3) Enter the info into customer id and invoice date. The browse now has focus. Have to click the new record icon again to enter a record into the browse.
      4) Enter the first record. After filling in quantity, the record is saved, focus is on the record in the browse. It does not add a new blank record for me to enter data into.

I would like it to add a new record for me on the next row and allow me to just start entering data on the second line of the browse.

Comment

Using Build 1901_3230 I don't get the results you're reporting. When I enter a quantity and press ENTER or TAB focus shifts to the new record row and I can immediately select a product_id from the drop down list.

Suggest you investigate the properties of your form. Examine restrictions. Is there a check mark by the "Continuous Enters" entry?

Comment

No restrictions are selected.
          Could it be something in the Alpha settings?
          Does the data entry style make a difference (modal vs. modeless)?

Alpha Data Entry is set to Modal, but the data entry style in the form is set to modeless.

If I sent Alpha Data Entry style to Modeless, it works ok. Are the form properties data entry style not working?

I'm on build 1901-3230 also.

Comment

Scott, if I change the database data entry style to "Modal", but set the form's data entry style to "Modeless" I get continuous enters. This is what I'd expect. Seems to be working correctly unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Hmmm,
              As soon as I set Alpha data entry settings to Modal, the form becomes Modal regardless of its properties.

No restrictions are set on the form at all. I created it just like my original posting.

Comment

Sorry, that's not what I'm seeing here.

As a matter of course I leave my database data entry setting to modeless. When I need a modal form I make the layout's data entry style modal. Since most of my forms are intended to be modeless, I leave their data entry style set to "System default". This means they'll be modeless unless I explicitly specify modal. Are you certain you don't have the form's data entry style set to "system default"?

Comment

I'm positive...

Now I installed a previous version and then the latest version and my first test shows that it is working as it should.

Thanks for your help....I'll re-post if it stops working

Comment

ok. It still isn't working right...and I think it is because of the lookup dialog that pops up on the field rules for customer id and/or product id.

1) Alpha data entry setting set to Modal
                    2) Form setting set to Modeless
                    3) Click new record - it appears to be in modeless mode
                    4) As soon as the customer id field causes the lookup dialog box to popup the form goes to modal.

If I remove the fields that have field rule lookups (customer id and product id) the form is modeless (although Alpha is set to modal)

can someone confirm this in their system?

Comment

Working...
                    X