Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedded browse field goes blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedded browse field goes blank

Could somebody see if you are seeing what I am seeing?
    Browses in form gpa_worksheet is based on a set. Parent in browse1, child in browse2, grandchild in browse3. Select record in browse1, go to browse2 (accounts) with 2 columns. First column is Type Acct. (Income or Expense - simple lookup in field rules). Select a type of account then select account in col. 2. First column goes blank. Or you can just select value for col. 1 then click in col. 2 and same thing happens. 2nd column is lookup into accounts table based on type of account selected in col. 1. I have deleted this browse and re-created it, but still is showing same symptoms. Have gone back to build 3216, but still getting same results. On Code tab of Control panel have a script to zap all the tables in the set. Seems once I get at least one record entered for browse1 and browse2, there is no problem. It's just in trying to get that first record entered into browse2. I created another form (accts_form) based on same set, but it seems to behave Ok.???? I must have something checked or unchecked that is causing this. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Ernie

Re: Embedded browse field goes blank

Took a look. Waste of time.

No sample data included in the zip.

Tried to create sample records but can't enter new record to gpa table because of error in table lookup field rule. Source table for the lookup appears to have been left out of the upload.

Please test your uploads in separate directory or on separate machine prior to uploading. If they don't work for you they won't work for us either.

Thanks.

Comment

Ernie, I took another look. Removed the "Enterprise" field rule from the GPA table and entered a few dummy records.

When entering records to Browse2 (based on the GPA_Accounts table) here's what I found:

a) if the selection from the lookup is made with the mouse the selected field value for the Type_Acct field does not disappear and "sticks".

b) if the user begins typing, Alpha suggests an entry from the lookup list. If the user then presses ENTER to confirm the selection of the suggested field value, the field value for the Type_Acct field does not disappear and "sticks"

c) if the user begins typing, Alpha suggests an entry from the lookup list. If the user then presses TAB to move to the second column, the suggested field value is discarded and the characters typed by the user remain in the Type_Acct field and do not disappear.

d) if the user begins typing, Alpha suggests an entry from the lookup list. If the user then uses the mouse to click the second column, the suggested field value is discarded and the characters typed by the user remain in the Type_Acct field and do not disappear.

This seems to be working as designed. You've defined the "Allow Exceptions" feature of the table lookup field rule to "Allow any value". Alpha is accepting the typed characters as a new field value, as permitted in your field rule specification. It does this because in scenarios (C) and (D), above, the user does not "select" a field value from the drop down list. To force Alpha to insert the "suggested" field value when the user tabs to (or clicks in) the next column change the field rule. "Allow exceptions" should be set to "Force closest match".

If you're still seeing a problem then take the time to furnish keystroke by mouse click directions for others to follow. Saying "Select a type of account then select account in col. 2." is ambiguous since field values can be selected from the lookup table in several different ways.
      Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 01-01-2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Tom,
        Thanks so much for taking the time to look and offer suggestions. I'm out town currently for a couple of more days and will take a look when I get back home. 99% of the time I set the preference to force closest match. I'm going to have to take a look because this has been a grief of mine with a5. I'm used to begin typing, it makes a suggestion, if it's what I want, I tab/enter to the next field and it leaves only what I typed. So will go back an make sure I do have it set to force the entry. I do copy the data / app to a different folder and test before zipping the file. Don't know why the Enterprise table didn't get zipped.
        As far as selecting the fields, I've just used the mouse since the typing thing doesn't work like I thought it should. Thanks for making clear the allow any entry/force closest match. I'm going to go back in and double check those settings. Will do some more testing.
        Thanks again.
        Ernie

Comment

Ok, Ernie. Safe travels.

Let us know what you find after more testing. -- tom

Comment

Tom,
            I've done some more testing. Sorry I didn't get the Enterprise table included in the last zip. This one should work.
            1. Problem only seems to occur when all tables are empty and you're entering the first record in the set. That's why I've got the zap_gpa_set in the code tab.
            2. Also, have to select an Enterprise. If you don't, the browse2 works fine.
            3. Using mouse selections only, the type of account goes blank when you select an account name with the mouse.
            4. No matter what you use to select type account, (mouse or type "e" for expense or "i" for income), if you type in the account name, it sticks. If you select the account name with the mouse, type account goes blank.
            5. Tried the auto popup from field rules for the subacct_id field (Account Name in browse2). Nothing seems to work right there, whether you type in the account name or select with the mouse.
            6. Also with build 1938_3239, I get the attached error when trying to add a record. It occurred a couple of times in trying to add an Enterprise, but mostly in browse2. Have to use Task Manager to shutdown. Ok button on the error popup window gets focus, but evidently has no event set to close it. But guess that's a matter for another time.
            I really appreciate your help in this. It isn't all that urgent. For the time being, I've restricted Enters on browse2 and placed a button to call a form to add the record. Hopefully you can duplicate this and figure out where I've screwed up. In looking at my field rules for gpa_accts, not sure I've got the best way to do the lookup for subacct_id because I decided to store all the subacct data as well as the main accts. data in gpa_accts. This form is used only for testing out different scenarios. Once one is decided on, I have a button to copy all the pertinent data to the main plan tables.
            Thanks again, Tom, for you efforts.
            Ernie

Comment

If you're still seeing a problem then take the time to furnish keystroke by mouse click directions for others to follow.

Comment

1. Open gpa_worksheet. If records in any browse, close window. From Code tab, double click "zap_gpa_set" to empty set records. See #1 from previous post.
                (only use mouse to make field selections - all fields are drop down) (Refer to #3 below)
                2. Enter new Enterprise record. See #2 from previous post.
                3. Enter new Accounts record. Select Type acct. (Only 2 selections - Income or Expense) Select Account Name. See #3, #4 below. If Type Acct. is Income, Income account names will be listed in Account Name column. If Expense selected as Type Acct., Expense account names will be listed in column 2. (as per field rules)
                4. For me, Type Acct. field (column 1 in browse2) goes blank when selecting account name (column 2 in browse2) with mouse. If you start typing in an account name (See #4 below) and it locates the one you want, press tab or enter and it will save/stick. See #3, #4 below. Otherwise, with mouse, as soon as I select an account (column #2, browse2) from the drop down list (with mouse), column 1 goes blank. If I get one record entered, the other entries work fine.
                3. Using mouse selections only, the type of account goes blank when you select an account name with the mouse.
                4. No matter what you use to select type account, (mouse or type "e" for expense or "i" for income), if you type in the account name, it sticks. If you select the account name with the mouse, type account goes blank.

Comment

Ernie, I am not able to help. On my XP SP3 system, using build 1938_3239 (with new browse) the "Type_Acct" field value does not disappear when I choose an "account name" with the mouse. However, a different problem occurs. I get an unwanted and seemingly erroneous error message "Enter Must Begin First". I'm stuck. Maybe someone else can help.

Comment

Tom,
                    Refer to #6 of 2 posts ago.
                    Ernie

Comment

Working...
                    X