Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Browse dynamic_list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Browse dynamic_list

Hi Bill,
    I tried to experiment but there must be something in v9 preventing my doing so with v8 I am using as I cannot edit your form without it crashing Alpha when saving. I wanted to replace your browse Event event code with

Code:
    if topparent:Grouptax_browse:Line_isuselinegl.value =.t.
        topparent:Grouptax_browse:Line_IsUseHeadGL.value = .f.
        topparent:Grouptax_browse:line_taxaccount_number.value = ""
        topparent:Grouptax_browse:line_taxaccount_name.value = ""
    end if
    instead of using "this" as you did.

I also wanted to reduce the number of characters in a couple of fields as that could be confusing Alpha --one differs after 11 characters and the other as seen above differs only after the 17th character. I have read many a post here that this is not a good idea and definitely has caused problems in scripts.....but I could not even save my efforts so maybe something you could try and see.....
    Mike

Comment

Bill,

I had a look and can not explain why that code does not work. You would think it should. I placed a msgbox() within the If section and I can display all three values of the columns you are trying to change when the test value is true.

So, using the syntax you have, the values are able to be read because the script is dropping into the 'IF' code when Line_IsUseLineGL is set to true and the values are being displayed in the msgbox. But the values are not being changed.

I changed to the following and this seems to work
      Code:
      function Line_IsUseLineGL_OnChange as v ()
      'debug(1)
      t = this.table_get()
      if [COLOR=Red]this[/COLOR].Line_IsUseLineGL[COLOR=Red].value[/COLOR] = .t.
          t.Line_IsUseHeadGL = .f.
          t.line_taxaccount_number = ""
          t.line_taxaccount_name = ""
      end if
      End Function
      Probably should change the red this above to t as well, and lose the .value. I left it to see if that syntax was still reading the value.

Mike's syntax below also works. Although I thought the last full colon should be a period but either seems to work
      Code:
      function Line_IsUseLineGL_OnChange as v ()
      'debug(1)
      if topparent:Grouptax_browse:Line_isuselinegl.value =.t.
          topparent:Grouptax_browse:Line_IsUseHeadGL.value = .f.
          topparent:Grouptax_browse:line_taxaccount_number.value = ""
          topparent:Grouptax_browse:line_taxaccount_name.value = ""
      end if
      End Function
      Tim Kiebert
      Eagle Creek Citrus
      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Bill,
        I, as well, could not get the OnChange event code to work in the Browse event script itself. Nor would it work as I usually have it do... which is run a UDF. But interestingly enough, I did get it to work by putting the script on a form button and have the event code push the form button. I don't understand the issue. Maybe report it as a bug? (See attached)
        Mike W

Comment

Tim,
          I had a look and can not explain why that code does not work.
          Isn't it just due to the nature of using "This" as a pointer to whatever is IN focus? Which then makes sense as the browse object that is changed is IN focus, but none of the others receive focus at all--if the "This" pointer did work in this case I would be surprised as then it would mean focus is changing as each browse object is calculated and what would bring the focus back to the original object which am sure it has focus after this event is run?

Just my take on it.... :)
          Mike

Comment

Mike,

In the code 'this' is not a pointer to the actual column. (it would make things easier in some places if it did) Rather, it is a pointer to the browse object. That is why each column name is added to the pointer as a property in order to reference it.
            Tim Kiebert
            Eagle Creek Citrus
            A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I will submit it as a bug the problem of using "this" in the browse event, since all works fine in the event, but does not translate to the ui.

As you showed, it works in the ui if a table pointer is used or if the browse object name is used explicity instead of using the "this" relative pointer.

Bill.

Comment

Tim,
                Am confused I guess....

I get that "This" is referring to the browse as an object due to its being embedded as an object on the form. As "This" is used as a pointer for whatever object is in focus (current object), I think that is where I have a bit of confusion....how can the browse AND the fields of said browse BOTH be in focus at the same time?? Maybe why it does work for the field that is initially in focus that triggers the OnChange browse event?

IOW--if one was to click on a browse field to activate it (give focus?), then what is actually in focus then....the browse object or the field? Maybe this is what Alpha is having problems with.

If "This" actually does work this way for a browse, then when a field of a browse has focus, does it still mean that only the browse has focus as far as Alpha is concerned?

I think maybe part of my confusion is that the fields of a browse "seem" analogous to a form's objects and I am going to have to sort of "unlearn" this in my head!!! :) Which now brings up the point of addressing a browse button---is the button an object of the browse....or an object of the form in which the browse is embedded? :D Sorting this may be something that a good night's sleep is prerequisite!!

LATER:Just dawned on me that the button on a browse is actually xdialog so maybe not the same as a form's button.....or is it.....seem to remember that a lot of Alpha's interface is written via xdialog.....
                Last edited by MikeC; 01-21-2009, 01:15 AM.
                Mike

Comment

This (no pun intended) is the reason I have always used table methods vs. object methods in event programming. For this project I am doing much more object methods in order to have certain processing flow through field rules. It would be really nice if field rules were RULES, and universally enforced. (I think the ui rules could be handled.)

Bill.

Comment

Working...
                  X