Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Importing pictures to table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing pictures to table

Hello everyone.
    I'm new here, so a little introduction is in order first.

Up until 10 years ago I worked as an application developer using an application called FilePro Plus (not filemaker) It is a relational database that got it's roots from Tandy/Radio Shack. It was written by a tiny company in NY and was supplied on every computer that Radio Shack sold.
    I worked for a local Fire District and they bought one of these computers and I became their resident computer guy and programmer.

Anyway, in the late 90's, they decided to move from the Unix based system to a Windows enviroment. Filepro was not ready to go GUI. I left the position and moved on to a new career, but kept supporting a few of their dos based applications.

So, here I am, 10 years later, and I'm looking for a windows based database that can do what Filepro did and add ID pictures. After a little research, I see that Alpha 5 can easily do what I'm looking for, but I need some help.

I'm trying to duplicate the application we have now. It is a one table DB that
    imports it's data from a .txt file. So far, I've been able to create the table, import the data, create the forms and reports I need. I've even been able to use xbasic to manipulate data and fields to do what I need.
    =======================================================

Finally, now my question.

I need to add ID pictures to each record. I have added the picture field to the form, and can add a picture to the record by right-clicking the field or using a button. But, I'm looking for the most streamlined and user friendly way to do it.

Does anyone have any suggestion about a paticular camera that plays well with Alpha5 ? Can someone outline for me the best way I should do this. Has someone already done this and can keep me from trying to reinvent the wheel.

I'm thinking about:

1) Taking the picture and putting it into a folder by itself.
    2) Have Alpha look for that only picture at that destination and change the default filename that the camera named it to a new unique number that is assigned to the record.
    3) Once the new filename is assigned, then move the picture to a final folder with all the other uniquely named pictures.

I think this could be done from a button function.
    Problem is , I don't have a clue where to start on this.

Can someone get an "old has-been" going in the right direction.

Boy, I love this stuff

Thanks
    Jim

Re: Importing pictures to table

Jim,

Alpha can do almost anything that you can tell it to do. To tell Alpha to do something you have to be able to define some sort of logical sequence/rule.

1) Taking the picture and putting it into a folder by itself.
    Makes sense so far.

2) Have Alpha look for that only picture at that destination and change the default filename that the camera named it to a new unique number that is assigned to the record.
    How would Alpha determine that a found picture should be associated with a particular number/record? I can understand renaming the picture. How does Alpha understand what record to assign it to? Are you thinking of taking a picture, saving it to a certain directory, then possibly pressing a button on a form and processing the picture based on the currently visible record on the form?

3) Once the new filename is assigned, then move the picture to a final folder with all the other uniquely named pictures.
    No problem here.

If the latter is correct there would be no need to look for "that only picture", it would be the only picture found if step three is completed.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Jim,

How would Alpha determine that a found picture should be associated with a particular number/record? I can understand renaming the picture. How does Alpha understand what record to assign it to? Are you thinking of taking a picture, saving it to a certain directory, then possibly pressing a button on a form and processing the picture based on the currently visible record on the form?
      Yes, exactly.... the record is displayed... press a button.... the picture filename is renamed to the Id number field contained in the table and
      then moved to a final destination folder.

As I think about it, I think I can stumble through it and make it happen, but is this the best way to handle it ?

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Jim,

No problem here.

If the latter is correct there would be no need to look for "that only picture", it would be the only picture found if step three is completed.
      Correct

Comment

Had to look this up, but follow this link and it may really help.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ghlight=images

It sure helped me a lot.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave,

This is a great start. Let me play with it a bit. I may be back later for more advice.
          Thanks
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X