Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Button OnArrive Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Button OnArrive Event

Button's OnArrive event: cute, doesn't do jack..
    Actually, it does, only once, when you activate the form, or, if for some odd reason you just want to activate the button without pushing it. Have no idea why would anyone want to do that?

I think this is one of those things that alpha has universally for many objects but not really intended for a button.

Just why does a button has to have an OnArrive Event?
    What can an OnArrive do that push can't?
    And how can you "arrive" unless you "push" the button (now I am really getting in questions along the line of the meaning of life)

It's presence is only confusing..

Just one of my idle thoughts..
    Last edited by G Gabriel; 02-12-2009, 05:25 PM.

Re: Button OnArrive Event

If you navigate a form using tab, you will "arrive" to a button.
    Andrew

Comment

Which goes into the same category of questions as the "meaning of life" or "deep thoughts with Jack Handy".

If you activate a tab, you activate the button.
      OK...
      Make the script (that is supposed to run on arriving at the button) run when you activate the tab. What's the point of activating a tab that activates a button that runs a script?

Comment

I'm referring to the TAB key, used to navigate field to field without using the mouse.

Not a TABBED Object on a form.
        Andrew

Comment

G,
          What can an OnArrive do that push can't?
          Given Andrew's example, if the OnArrive event was used when tabbing through fields/buttons and this triggered the color to change when doing so, how else would you be able to code in order to do this? Just curious if there is another way is all...
          Mike

Comment

Is there any reason you can't use ontabchange to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by aschone View Post
              I'm referring to the TAB key, used to navigate field to field without using the mouse.

Not a TABBED Object on a form.
              OK...
              And why do you want to tab to a push button? just for the sake of tabbing? Or do you want to know that you are there and now the button is ready to be pushed around?
              I am a "mouse" person, I don't tab.. But if you want to change the color of the button, put the script on the ondepart event of the preceding object, Voila!

This is not really a big deal in anyway except that I think it's confusing. It has already confused some.
              Last edited by G Gabriel; 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Personally I would prefer to have too many events than too few....a case, for instance, could be brought against having the OnInit event of a form just because you could create your own simply by using a logical field in conjunction with the OnActivate event....I see no reason why more than one event that can be used is a bad thing so long as it serves whatever purpose it is being used for....just my opinion mind you and as is said.....'nuff said! :)
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                  I am a "mouse" person, I don't tab..
                  There is help available for that... ;)

But what about those souls that are - I'm a "tab" person, I don't mouse..

Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD
                  Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                  Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                  When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                  "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                  Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post

I haven't tabbed since the DOS days, so I completely forgot about those tabbers. Everyone is a mouse to some degree, there is so much tabbing you could do. But I did say early on that it works when you activate the button.

It seems to me about the only realistic script to use in such event would be to change the appearance of the button so you know you are there. See a suggestion I made in a related thread which negate this need and applies to all buttons (and all objects for that matter). That other thread is what prompted this idle thoughts anyway. I am not against having the event, but thinking through the other question, it seemed confusing speaking as a mouse-person since you can't arrive unless you push.

Comment

Remember that using the enter key on a form sets the focus to the next object in the tab order. People who are touch typists and have to enter a lot of data can do things much faster with a keyboard than with a mouse.
                      The OnArrive event can prevent the button from being pushed if certain conditions are met (or not met).
                      My two �s worth.
                      Jay Talbott
                      Lexington, KY

Comment

I must admit the thought of somebody tabbing to get to a button didn't even cross my mind! Don't even see how practical that is? but I guess some people still do that. So, if you have a form that has 10, 20, 30 fields and you edited the first field, you just keep on tabbing until you get to a button that says "save"?

If you do, then God bless! Must be an Amish thing. There are mice, track balls, touch screens, joysticks... but some people wouldn't use these evil things!

But then again, it couldn't be an Amish thing, unless a different sect of Amish! You could use a computer, do programming, but don't you dare use that mouse!

Comment

G,

I see where you are coming from and for me it is the same. If I wasn't using the mouse then it would take me an age to get anything done. However, I have met some experienced IT guys who speed around the windows environment just using the keyboard quicker than I can with the mouse. I don't know how they do it but they are fast and have numerous short cut keys memorised. So I guess if a developer has the time and the software is likely to be used heavily by a keyboard operator then it could be a useful feature.

Geoff

Comment

Vell, ve Amish use deisel powered computers. Dat vey ve are not so attached to the English vorld, see? If you vant to learnt more about us now, call my cell phone.

Seriously, I was thinking more straight data entry: filling out all fields when creating records, and if a field was skipped or had info which did not meet a certain criteria, a message box could pop up on arrive and then automatically send the user back to the field needing attention.
                            Jay Talbott
                            Lexington, KY

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                              There is help available for that... ;)

Amen!

All of my heavy data entry people are "tab" people. I'm not talking about people who enter a few orders a day. I'm talking about people who enter orders at the rate of 60 per hour. These people do not like to waste time and they have all found out that shifting from mouse to keyboard to mouse to keyboard to mouse ... is a waste of time. They have all become touch typists and don't like to take their hands off of the keyboard.

In fact, these people - without exception - prefer pushing the F11 key to activate my Find buttons rather than "taking their hand off the keyboard to grab the mouse, moving the cursor until it's on the Find button, clicking the button, and returning their hand to the keyboard".

I've also noticed that most developers are "mousers". Maybe there's a reason for that. I'm kind of in between. I usually prefer the keyboard when possible but don't mind using the mouse - as long as it's not one of those *#$&$ track ball things!

Also, most average/casual users seem to be mousers. These are the people who write e-mails, use a word processor, occasionally use a spreadsheet or enter an order in a database. These are usually not the people whose primary job (or an important part of their job) is to enter a whole lot of orders every day.

I design for my customer - not for myself or for "what everybody else does" and my customers often want the fastest data entry capability possible. Therefore I design my input forms so they can be used without the mouse whenever possible. Of course, those who prefer it can also use the mouse but the person who learns to do it without the mouse will always finish the job faster.

As to the OnActivate event, consider this... Back before Alpha added the OnFlyover events (yes, there was a time when these did not exist), the only way to indicate which button was active was to change the color in either the OnActivate event or the OnPush event. For the "tabbers", the OnActivate event makes more sense. Does it make sense for "mousers" - no. Does it make sense for touch typists doing heavy duty data entry - yes.

As to "tabbing 20-30 times to get to the save button" - that would be poor form design if someone had to do that after filling in the last field. Unfortunately, I've seen it done - usually by someone who is a "mouser" and didn't think about setting the tab sequence. When my customer finishes filling the last field, the next Tab puts him on the Save button - or maybe the Save and Continue button (which probably also starts the next record or starts the Find operation or whatever action is needed next) with one more Tab putting him on the Save and Exit button. Of course, if they are only editing one of the first fields then they will probably use the mouse to click the appropriate Save button - it's all about finding the fastest way to do the job.
                              Last edited by CALocklin; 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X