Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Linking Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Linking Fields

Hi All,

Thank you for a great list! It has been an invaluable reference for a newbie like me.

I have a problem with my first A5V9 app. I traditionally work in Oracle or MySQL with tables that have multiple fields as the primary key. See two examples in the attachment.

I have now created the active link tabs in A5 but cannot seem to find a clear reference to how to create the linking field expression for either of these sets. If I simply say 'Field1+Field2' (probably dum, but worth a shot!), the link does not work in the child browse on the sets default form.

I have tested a restructured version that uses a unique id field in each table and this works well, but I dont particularly like working with such extremely normalised (?) data on a relatively simple app.

Any insights appreciated.

Regards
    Chris

Re: Multiple Linking Fields

Hi,

A followup on my own post.

I note from the A5 Help that sets of the type I am trying to make are not recommended.

The recommendation leans toward a single linking field, of autoincrement type independant of data. If data field linking is required, then multiple sets are recommended.

I presume this means the only option is to introduce an auto increment id and unique contraints on the other field combinations.

Cheers
    Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Alpha.

The best advice all newcomers are given is have a good look at AlphaSports.

It does take some rooting about to get to grips with whats going on, but you sound like the kind of guy that can get the picture with relative ease.

To use an expression in a field that is going to be used as a link to a child table, I have found that it is best to make a new field that is calculated ie 'Field3=Field1+Field2'. Field3 will now be the linking field.

Please bear in mind that most users of Alpha do not come from the same background as yourself, and are therefore not always able to pick up on what you are having difficulty with when you make references to it.

I suggest first doing a search and then asking for help to your actual problem.

Good luck with your Alpha development.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the assistance. Sorry if I was a bit cryptic!

I did study several of the sample apps including AlphaSports, but found all of the sets to be single field links. I was hoping more was possible!

I get your solution but unless I miss my guess, I can only do this with A5 tables. This would leave 2 options:

1. Retructure the external DB to a unique ID and datafields separated into separate tables and then use MySQL views or A5 Mapped Tables for the combined data view.

2. Emulate your solution in MySQL by keeping the existing table structure, but adding a field to each table concatenating the data values to be used in the link. I would then need to write insert triggers in MySQL to do the concatenation each time there is a source field change.

I must admit that as much I have been impressed with A5 so far, their non-traditional approach to database structures seems, although workable, rather odd for someone more used to Oracles or MySQLs powerful simplicity. I guess its the price paid for an efficient codeless development environment, which is a BIG plus.

Thank you again.

Regards
        Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Yes you are correct about only being able to link by a single field.

However, there is a neat little trick you can use. Link the same child table more than once on different fields in the same set.

I'm sure you have also seen that you can also build separate sets, with the same tables but in a different order and with different link settings.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
            Hi Chris,

Yes you are correct about only being able to link by a single field.

However, there is a neat little trick you can use. Link the same child table more than once on different fields in the same set.

I'm sure you have also seen that you can also build separate sets, with the same tables but in a different order and with different link settings.
            Hi Keith,

I have linked the same table twice in the same set with each of the key fields in turn, but so far I get some unacceptable side effects:

1. The child data is not always filtered correctly.
            2. Because a single field (i.e. only one of the two primary keys) is used for the link, you cannot use these child browses to add records to the active link tables. Doing so violates the integrity constraints in MySQL.

I have tried reversing the set, however one immediately strikes the same problem i.e. there are two primary key fields in the linked database. The only thing reversing achieves is to go from a one-to-many to a one-to-one.

I still seem to be left with the two previously mentioned options.

Cheers
            Chris

Comment

I am unclear about the imagined constraint as to linking on only one field. The first choice in any set definition genie for the linking key, parent or child, is <expression>. That expression can involve multiple fields and explicit values. If Alpha can determine a likely linking key based on pairs of same named fields it will suggest that as the linking key bu you can still up arrow to the top of the possible fields to use and find <expression>.

This may not satisfy your sql requirements but is doable. If memory serves it is recommended that if multiple fields are used in the link they should be contiguous in the table structure.

From the help on Create and Restructure sets

Linking fields do not have to have the same name, but they do have to have the same type and length. For example, the Cust_ID field in the Invoice table may match the Cust_NO field in the Customer table.

Note : Linking fields do not have to be a single field. For example, the invoice number in the Invoice table consists of two fields. The first field, Tran_Type, indicates whether the transaction is a sale or refund, and contains the value "S: or "R." The second field, Slip_Num stores an incrementing number (e.g., 001, 002, 003, etc.). The invoice number consists of the first field plus the second field, resulting in invoice numbers that look like: S001, R002, S003, etc. When you link the Invoice table to the Items table, the Items table has just one field to store the invoice number, Inv_NO. To link Invoice to Items, you specify Tran_Type+Slip_Num as the Parent Key and Inv_NO as the Child Key.

Note : Linking fields in parent or child tables cannot be calculated fields.

Note : Linking fields in child tables cannot be auto-sequence fields.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Thanks for straitening me out about using the expression as a link.

I have tried to use this in the past and failed, since then I have never used the expression value as a link.

On the other hand I'm sure that I have used a calculated field as a link, but I could be wrong about that too.

Back to Alpha school for me.
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

In addition to what Stan stated, a linking field can only be a total length of 240 characters. If you run up against this (which I do quite often in Quickbooks!), a simple remedy usually is just to use maybe the first 100 characters per field (in a two field link) or first 50 (in a 4 field link), etc.--whatever is required-- the substr(), left(), word() functions work well for this.
                  Mike

Comment

Stan,
                    I have tried this before and although the set does link properly when the link values are provided Alpha does not automatically fill in the child linking value when an expression is used for the parent.

I made a little test to demonstrate. Inv_set is linked as per the instruction you posted. Inv_set2 is linked on a calculated field in the parent.

When you open up the default form for Inv_set you get the first clue that some thing is different. Normally by default the child linking field is not included in the embedded browse. Try entering some records by supplying only a value for product and you should see that the child key is not supplied. In fact the record 'disappears' on save because the child key is wrong. If you now go into the inv_line table and enter the child key the records will show up fine.

Entering records in the Inv_set2 default form behaves as expected. Which shows that the note about calculated fields not being allowed for the parent linking key is not accurate.

I have found though that you can not use a calculated field in the child table. But you can use an expression using two fields for the child table link (Inv_set4). Hhmmmm, I figured I might as well test that and it seems a calculated field in both tables does work. (at least in this simple test)(Inv_set3)

Ok this may confuse the issue but. In Inv_set6 I have a calculated field as parent link and an expression for the child link. I made the field names the same in the child (inv_line2) as the parent. However, now the records seem to only get linked on the the first field of the parent calculation and the first field of the child expression, (ie Tran_type). Change the name (in any way) of Tran_type in inv_line2 and then the link is forced back to both fileds of the calc/expression.

Don't know what all this proves. Just be careful in what you do I guess.

The fact that Alpha does not automatically provide the linking key when multiple fields are used can be worked around. If you force new child records to be entered in forms rather than in embedded browses you can use the new to v8 function of form.viewlinked(). This allows you to specify multiple fields on which to base the link and the linking values are enforced and not editable in the child form. An added benefit of this function seems to be a much better synchronization with the browse on the parent form. You can see the browse update even before the child form is closed.
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Chris,
                      On a general note. I am about to go the other direction from you. Having learned to use dbf tables and Alpha these last 4 years, I am now looking at getting into SQL in order to use it as a backend for Alpha. One thing I have found in my research to date is that the whole concept of foreign key constraints is very different in the two systems. As you have surmised, in Alpha you use a combination of: linking keys in sets and table validation rules for constraints, both for uniqueness and for validation against a second table.
                      Tim Kiebert
                      Eagle Creek Citrus
                      A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim,

I look forward to investigating your example as time permits. Thanks for your efforts to stretch the boundaries.

I really have no need for dual field expression linking values and have never attempted the same other than a simple test to make sure that they work in some practical form. I just like to clear up misconceptions when they arise
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Ah, the good ole linking multiple fields in a set issue. There is a good workable solution at http://www.learn alpha.com/LinkTwoFi...kTwoFields.htm. I use it all the time, and to date, it has not failed me yet! It does handle two fields, and I have never had the need to link a third field, so sorry don't have an answer for that.

Although I have created lookups to automatically fill in other fields based on the parent. There is an article on my web site at http://www.danblankdatabases.com/PCfields.htm

Have Fun,
                          Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Hi All,

It seems that I now have quite a few potential solutions!

Thank you for all the input. I am travelling at the mo and will try the suggestions tommorrow and post back.

Cheers
                            Chris

Comment

Hi All,

Attached is a database that I am developing as a personal reference. When finished, I hope to have a demo of each of your suggested solutions.

So far I have created a standard set form (f1) that reflects the undesirable effect in which all fields have to be displayed in the child browses for 'new record' creation to work.

The other set form (f2) is modified to use Tims 'form.ViewLinked' method. This is works well, but my ambition is to figure out how to key new records directly into the child browse, without having to display all fields, i.e. the multiple link field values are inherited.

Next I will try Stans Lookup trick and post again later.

Cheers
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X