Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Linking Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multiple Linking Fields

The link Dan has provided is the method I have used for years.
    I can confirm it works for three fields and see no reason why you could not use 4-5......

A4 handled this transparantly and usually suggested the correct combination of fields.

I remember discussing this with Alpha when A5 came out. The answer at the time was "why would you want to". My answer of course was that A4 did it, why could'nt A5. Other DB's support this, and it is a standard industry practice. I believe this was a misstep by Alpha.

While the solution does work, it comes at a cost.

A change in size or character to any of the concatinated fields means a :( job affecting your entire app. This negates the significant DB advantage of field independance.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John Gamble View Post
      Other DB's support this, and it is a standard industry practice. I believe this was a misstep by Alpha.

John
      Hi John,

I agree you that the lack of support for such fundamental relational concept (at least for users coming from a dbms background) is a bit odd. I guess it is more annoying than fatal though.

Access always fell short for me because it could not do views, triggers or stored procedures. Once you hit the limits of a query, you have to make a fairly large leap into VBA programming to get the effect of a stored procedure. This is where the RDBMSs shine, in the sense that database entities are generated through procedural SQL, which is so close to standard query sql, that it is relatively simple to write and implement views, procedures, triggers, stored procedures etc ... powerful stuff.

I suppose though that in order for Alpha to give us a codeless GUI development environment (which is in itself very powerful) the outcome of entity creation and structure has to be quite predictable. Most Oracle procedures that I have written (more hack than write reallly :o) could never be 'genie-fied'.

But for me this would be the holy grail. A rapid development environment like A5, running an internal db with industry standard entities. One can only dream... :)! Oracle has an Application designer that effectively does this, but its web only (i think) and more expensive to implement. If Microsoft decides to move MS Access and MS Sql Express closer together in terms of the way the Access DB functions, while maintaining Access's other strengths, then Alpha will have some serious competition.

Hopefully, as linking to external DB becomes more popular, A5 will find itself having to adapt its approach to mimic and better integrate with Oracle/MSSQL etc features.

In the mean time, I am thoroughly impressed with Alpha and can see from the reponses on the list that virtually anything is possible if I just apply the grey matter and read the help!

Cheers
      Chris

Comment

Hi All,

Have finally sat and worked in Dans solution into the attached sample.
        The sample has four levels, project->district->area->block.

The database contains both an 'a' and a 'b' group of tables, sets and forms.

Group 'a' uses traditional multiple field linking (as described by Tim, Stan and Mike). There are two forms:

FORM: a_project_to_block_f1
        Default form which requires linking fields to be displayed in child browses so that data entry can work.

FORM: a_project_to_block_f2
        Modified form in which buttons open subforms for new record entry. These forms are linked using the 'form.viewlinked()' function recommended by Tim.

Group 'b' uses calculated fields linking to the tables lower down in the heirachy (as described by Dan). There is one form to illustrate:

FORM: b_project_to_block_f1

The calculated field option is easy set up and the links work well. Unfortunately I seem to have broken the 'Delete Record' functionality in both form types record deletion works intermittently. On most occasions there is no response from the right click->delete record, even on the bottom most child. Any suggestions appreciated.

I have yet to try the LOOKUP solution but will post when done.

Cheers
        Chris

Comment

An once again ... with attachment.:o

Comment

Hi Chris,

That looks and works great. Pity about the crappy title in the dialog box. Is there an option to have your own title?
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith,

Quite right. It can be set with the Caption parameter of the form properties. Will clean up after I put in the last Lookup option.

By the way, does record deletion work?

It is still very inconsistent for me. I am going to try and clean out all the old data and insert from scratch. It may be that some fields are not populated properly.

Cheers
              Chris

Comment

Chris

You may just have ID'd a problem I also have had with deletes since day one.

On certain screens I get a "INEXACT MATCH" when trying to delete. a child record. Have to resort to a single table browse to delete.

Interesting, bug?!

John

Comment

Hi John,

Even odder (if there is such a thing!), is that deletion will also not work consistnently in the standard browse for the 'b_block' table in the sample db.

It sometimes just refuses to delete with the cursor going into the record and settling on one of the fields.

I still think it may have something to do with the data in the sample. For instance, I have spaces in the linked fields of the 'b' table set (i.e. calculated field linking). Still checking though.

Cheers
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X