Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Paste Excel cell into browse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paste Excel cell into browse?

I don't know if this is a problem with my application or a bug introduced with a recent update, but I used to be able to copy a string value from excel and paste it into my browse.

I wanted to enter some new data into my application yesterday so copied the excel data by pressing CTRL-C went back to Alpha, selected new record navigated to the correct field and pressed CTRL-V to paste, but the data didn't paste into the field as it used to. Instead the new record disappeared and the record selector moved back to the previous record?

Can anyone tell me if they have similar problems, I have searched the message board and haven't found anything so far. I have also checked to see if field rules or events could be preventing this, but there are no form events and no browse events?

It used to be so easy and I don't understand why this has suddenly stopped working?

Re: Paste Excel cell into browse?

Alastair,

Since nobody has answered, I will make a suggestion - try pasting it into Notepad. I say Notepad because if there is any strange character in the string that is not visible, Notepad will replace it with a different strange character. The pasting in Alpha works as expected on the few browses I have tried it on so just wondering if there was something strange about the info you were copying.

Comment

Hi,

PureText is a great free tool that allows you to paste JUST the data, rather than risk having formatting mess up your data (as most MS Office tools are likely to do).

http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/

Andrea

Comment

Doug,

Thanks for your reply, it always used to work straight from excel, however it may be a formatting issue I will try what you suggest, however this is an extra step which slows down the process somewhat.

Comment

Andrea,

Thanks for the link I will take a look at that!

Edit... Just installed this excellent utility (very quick and easy to do) and it works great - I recommend it to anyone else who has a similar problem!

Thanks very much for the info.
          Last edited by Alastair; 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I still can't paste into this browse field, with or without the Pure Text app. If I change to the detail form (I have a browse which contains lots of records and a detail view which just contains the selected record) I can paste into the form field O.K. with no problems, however, I am sure I used to be able to paste into this browse.

Does anyone know if something has changed to prevent this now or if there is a property somewhere to allow/disallow cut & paste into browse fields. I don't think it is the content of the paste buffer that is causing the problem as I have tried to cut & paste between two Alpha Five browse fields.

I sometimes have a filter active when copying & pasting would this make any difference?

Anyone else come across this problem or able to repeat?

Comment

Alastair,
              I have no problem copying an Excel cell and then pasting into an embedded browse using builds 2095, 3264...do you have any entry restrictions on the browse or in any scripts? Just thought I'd ask the obvious....
              Mike

Comment

The version of Excel being used has never been stated. Since A5 cannot import an .xlsx file (Excel 2007), I wonder if that is part of the issue?

Comment

Beware Excel 2007. This version does not support saving as .dbf and thus destroys the ole capability of opening an .xls file, saving as .dbf. and using the resulting table natively.

Part of a ms plot to undermine Alpha no doubt. Why preserve the .csv functionality and not the .dbf?
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Since A5 cannot import an .xlsx file (Excel 2007)
                    From what I understand this is not a true statement unless you do not have the Enterprise version of Alpha. Using AlphaDAO you should be able to import a 2007 Excel file.
                    Mike

Comment

I based this on using "create a database from imported data". It won't import a .xlsx file but it will import a .xls file (which you can create by saving a .xlsx file as a .xls file in Excel 2007.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Sometimes Ctrl-Insert and Shift-Insert works better than Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.
                        I don't know why, but sometimes the 'ancient' Insert-combination does the job where the Ctrl-variant doesn't . . .
                        Regards
                        Andr�

Comment

Sorry folks, I have been away from this board for so long and missed your replies to this thread. I am using the latest version (I think) with the new browse although it didn't work on the previous version with the old browse either. Alpha Five Ver 9 Build 2095/3264

My Excel version is 2000 and I am trying to copy the contents of one cell and paste it into the field in a browse called description. It won't allow the paste into the browse, but if I go to a detail view on a form and paste into the description field in this view it works fine!

The browse and form is similar to the Alphasports example database where they have an Inventory and detail on seperate tabbed pages, so you can select a product on the "Product List" browse and then view more details on the "Detail" tab, I cannot find any events on the browse that are preventing this from working. Although I do have a filter to search the form for items (see screenshot - sorry I have had to blank out a lot of the screen due to confidential data) but the description is just a character field of 55 width.

What I sometimes want to do is add a new record (so the filter isn't normally active anyway) and then paste the description into the description field in the browse using CTRL-V, (it will allow me to type into this field but not paste into it) the Product_ID field is an auto increment field filled in by field rules. Once the Product_Id has been assigned and the description is filled in I normally add the detailed information for the new part in the Details section of the tabbed form.

I hope this answers some of the questions that have been asked by posters and I very much appreciate your efforts to help me with this problem.

Comment

I have Excel 2007, not 2000. I typed a description into a cell, then did a Ctrl-C, went back into a form in A5 build 3264, entered the browse, clicked on <new record> then did a Ctrl-V and it pasted my cell contents. No formatting on the spreadsheet or in the browse.

Comment

Hi David,

Yes I am sure it used to work on mine as well, but it doesn't anymore and I am trying to find out why not, so far no luck!

As soon as I press CTRL-V the new record closes and the focus reverts to the last record in the browse, no error message or any other prompt???

In the field rules the only thing I have found that may cause a problem is "Value must be unique", but surely this applies to the form as well as the browse?
                              Last edited by Alastair; 04-20-2009, 08:53 AM. Reason: more info added

Comment

Working...
                              X