Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Demo version for potential customers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demo version for potential customers ?

Dear,

How do I go about distributing a demo version for potential customers. I have the Runtime (5 licenses) but I want to distribute the application to about 20 customers with no expiration date. Only the number of features is limited (e.g. the number of records entered).

Kind regards
    Steven

Re: Demo version for potential customers ?

Hello Steven,

Try looking at the threads shown at the bottom of this page. I know some people check the amount of records in a table on the cansave event of a form and if it is over a designated amount cancel() the save.

Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for replying. I guess the question was not really clear.

I have the runtime for 5 licenses (which came with A5 Platinum when I bought the package). How can I distribute the application without breaking the license agreement when I have trial versions of the software ? The Run Time allows only for 5 installations but I need unlimited installations for the trial version of the application.

I haven't played around with the runtime but I guess they need some kind of activation in order to make the software run on a PC.

But maybe it works differently.

Steven

Comment

No idea.

I know Alpha were offering a package with unlimited licenses for a very reasonable price a month or two back. It maybe worth contacting them to see if the deal is still available.

Comment

Steven,

Perhaps you should re-read the license agreement at (removed broken link)

I think you are confusing a 5-user runtime with installing it 5 times. The 5-user refers to concurrent use on a network. You sound like you would like to distribute your demo to many different customers, not one with unlimited users.

Bill
          Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 06-02-2023, 02:04 PM. Reason: removed broken link
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

I have a similar requirement but I would like my application within Alpha to cease running after a period, e.g. 30 days, unless I have been paid in which case I would give the client an activation code to permanently enable it. Any chance Alpha could make a developer version of their activation system available within the software?

Comment

Roland,
              make a developer version of their activation system available within the software
              I would really doubt that they would do this--once you have incorporated an activation system on your demo applications are you going to provide them with the code behind it that explains how it works?

I suppose its possible they would if it was completely tamperproof but don't think it would be that difficult to create your own....I think Cal Locklin may even have one for sale as an add-on if you wanted.

You could add a request to the Wishlist Forum for a way to have this as a feature.
              Mike

Comment

I don't see why I would need to provide them with the code that explains how it works. All I was suggesting was a function within A5 that would enable application layer developers to protect their interests in a similar way to that in which Alpha protects its own interests. Our client buys A5 from the Alpha Website, pays for it and activates it. So A5 works. I then sell an application layer product to them. I let it work for a few days (Alpha allows 45) and then die. When they pay for it the application layer gets activated permanently activated. Just needs a new function in A5 to let developers control their own products. I'll mention it on the wishlist.

Comment

Roland,
                  MikeC was alluding to why would Alpha provide us (customers) with their code for how their security activation system operates. I agree with Mike that an activation sequence should be not to difficult to produce. It sounds like my kind of challenge.....
                  Mike W

Comment

No one is asking Alpha to supply us with their code. Of course they wouldn't let us have that. What I am asking for is a function to use within Alpha that would let an application layer developer lock the application layer until an activation code was granted. Lots of other software is sold with a similar function. Whilst it's relatively straightforward to write something but it would be handy to have it as a built-in function within Alpha since they claim A5 to be a developer's tool.

Comment

Check out Cal Locklin's Addin...

http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/aims_reg.htm

Comment

the unlimited distribution license will let you do what you want.
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Here is more info on the unlimited distribution license

Distributing your desktop applications just got a whole lot easier!

With the new Alpha Five v9 Unlimited Distribution License, once you have built your application in Alpha Five v9 Platinum you can:
                          • Distribute your applications freely with no restrictions
                          • Make an unlimited number of copies of your application, including trial or demo copies
                          • Develop an unlimited number of applications (each with an unlimited number of copies)
                          • Thanks to all of you who completed our survey. (Yes, we really do take this stuff seriously!)

Your feedback told us that you felt that Alpha Five V9 was the ultimate tool for building web and desktop applications. You also told us that that you wanted a low cost, unrestricted and simple way to distribute an unlimited number of custom Alpha Five applications that you create.

As a result of your input, we are delighted to introduce the new Alpha Five v9 Unlimited Distribution License for deploying desktop applications.

For one low price � with the new Alpha Five v9 Unlimited Distribution License, you can distribute as many applications as you like - for as many people as you like. The people to whom you distribute your application do not need to have Alpha Five installed. (It's also ideal for creating demo or trial versions of your commercial software.)

The Unlimited Distribution License works for both SQL and non-SQL desktop applications. It does require that you first develop your application using a copy of Alpha Five V9 Platinum Edition. (If you already have Alpha Five V9 Standard, you can upgrade to V9 Platinum without having to modify anything.)

Features of the Unlimited Distribution License
                          1. Create as many applications as you need. Distribute as many copies as you need.
                          2. Works with both .DBF based and SQL based applications (such as SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, Access and more)
                          3. Includes software for building your own custom installation program.
                          4. Restricts users from editing (and possibly breaking) your application.
                          5. Allows users to create and edit their own reports, labels and letters (if you wish to allow them).
                          6. Create your own custom splash screen that appears when the software starts
                          7. Everything you need to distribute your Alpha Five applications, without paying royalties to Alpha Software.
                          8. Ideal for creating demo or trial versions of your commercial software.

To get this license, Please call sales at: +1 781.229.4500 x1 or send an email to [email protected]

Q: I already own a V9 runtime/run-engine package - can I upgrade to the Unlimited Runtime Distribution license?
                          A: Yes. Please contact sales for pricing (see above).
                          Links of Interest
                          Richard Rabins
                          Co Chairman
                          Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                          X