Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help moving database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help moving database

Hello,

I have a5v9 on my laptop and built an application for my business. I need to move the program to my desktop. I have tried zipping and just copying and the database I built does not show up on my desktop. A5 will be there but not the database that I built. I searched the help files and the message board. Should there not be an easy way to move a newly built database from one computer to another?

Re: Help moving database

After you zip it and make a copy, place the zipped file on your computer and then Unzip the folder into a seperate folder on your desktop computer. Then start A5 and from the start up dialog box select Open an existing database. Navigate your way to the folder where you unzipped your copy and select your database project. You should be good to go.
    Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Dan,

Perhaps the problem lies within "Navigate your way to the folder where you unzipped your copy and select your database project. You should be good to go."

I can't seem to find my database project. I have windows vista on the laptop and windows xp on the desktop. would that be a problem?

I also have a portable hard drive I connected to the laptop and copied the whole program over to that and then connected that to the desktop. That should have copied all files in an exact copy with my database clearly visible but it does no show up.

Comment

Richard, you should be looking for the zip file you created. Use Windows Explorer (My Computer) to find it. Then unzip and extract its contents to a folder you name / create on the XP desktop. Do you need help doing this?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, they are not working. Just for some background, I am computer literate. I have been using computers in my business since 1983 and created an application in alpha 4 in 1993 that I have been using since. So I know a little about copying folders. But alpha 5 does seem to make it more complicated then it needs to be to move your database from one computer to another.

I went back and zipped the entire folder onto my portable hard drive in a new folder. I unzipped it and the database I created does not show up. The alpha 5 program does show up but not the database I created. I cant find it. I can use it on my laptop. It opens by Jobs.adn. that file on the desktop doesn't do anything.

thanks

Comment

Richard, not sure what you mean by the Alpha Five program "does show up"... you should not be zipping, moving, and unzipping the Alpha Five program. You should be "installing" Alpha on the desktop machine. Please confirm that this is what you've done.

Tell us how you're zipping database.

Tell us what folders are involved in the database.

Is there any reason you don't simply copy the database folder to the portable hard drive, and then copy it from there to your desktop?

What you're attempting should be dead easy. It gets more complicated only if your original database is spread across multiple folders. Please confirm that your database is entirely located within a single folder... no subfolders... no external folders.

Comment

It appears that the essential parts of my new database were saved in a different folder. I found them. Looks like it will work. thanks

RB

Comment

Also to add to what Tom said... Your application should not be mixed in with the Alpha Five Software folder.

The A5 Software program should be in its own folder and then in another folder you should have your own application. I have a folder Titled A5_Projects, and in that folder I have sub folders for each database project I am developing. The sub folders are named for the projects I am working on as well as the ones I completed.

To move a project to another machine I just copy that sub folder to the new machine.
                Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Tom,
                  I tried copying the folder from one computer to the other, installing it, zipping it etc. The alpha program moved ok, just my database I created didn't (did not show up in the program)

The problem was that the database I created was saved in a different folder. I searched for it and found it. It looks like it is working now.

I know it should have been easier then it was. I did not realize it was in a different folder. I didn't do that consciously.
                  thanks

Comment

Richard,

Alpha must put your applications in a separate folder than the one that the Alpha program is in. Vista (which you have on your laptop) will not allow programs to alter files in the Program Files directory which is where it installs programs. This is for security reasons.

Comment

Vista will install the program files in "Program Files (x86)" unless they're 64 bit programs.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                        Vista will install the program files in "Program Files (x86)" unless they're 64 bit programs.
                        Vista will install the Alpha 5 program files in "Program Files (x86)" BUT it will not want the Alpha apps that you create there.

Comment

Richard,

one thing that I have found useful for us old-timers (from DOS) is to go ahead an overide the default folder locations and place our files in a folder directly under the C: drive. Windows now likes to use the Program Files folder and the Documents and Settings and My Documents folders. It can get confusing. But if you just type in "C:" when asked where to save your zip file and "C:\DataBase" when setting up your database you'll always be able to find it.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                          X