Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Drag and drop -- is it a dead issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag and drop -- is it a dead issue?

I understand Alpha Five V9 does not offer drag and drop capabilities with its native controls.

But has anyone else used third party ActiveX controls with drag and drop capabilities with Alpha Five? That is reordering the sequence of browse or tree by selecting a record and moving to where you want.

Drag and drop capabilities have been available in MS Access at least since the 2000 version.

Is there a technical reason why Alpha Five does not support drag and drop or they have simply not made it a priority.

Wouldn't it be cool to see this offered in Version 10? Ok, just dreaming.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh

Re: Drag and drop -- is it a dead issue?

Hi Robert,

I'm not missing what I never had, I have to ask you though, whilst you think this is good feature, how important is it in the great scheme of things when using an application?

What I would like to see with Drag and Drop, is a graphical way to link tables when building sets.

Perhaps these should be in the Wish List?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith,

I, for one, do miss drag and drop. I used it over 8 years ago with a organizational chart built using Microsoft 97, showing who supervises who that was easily maintained simply by dragging a subordinate record and moving it up the tree to promote that person. Such flexibility in reorganizing organizational information or documents is critical in Customer Relationship Management applications in the following ways:

1. Providing insight into key relationships in customer companies
      2. Organizing documents related to multiple proposals to those customers

Here's the link to show you how easily this can be done:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209891

If you have any version of Access since then, I think you can easy this could be with the right control.

I think the wish list for desired improvements for Alpha Five has got the point that they'll be very challenged making a dent in it. So I'm not really expecting them to make any changes to their tree control.

I simply would like the functionality to reorganize hierarchical information on the fly, much like one can do with Windows Explorer.

This is very, very old functionality for Microsoft Access, and my question was whether anyone technically understood whether such external to Alpha Five controls could achieve the same result. Or is there something in Alpha's design that precludes drag and drop.

Bob McGaffic
      Pittsburgh

Comment

I expected to find drag and drop in A5 and was disappointed when I discovered it wasn't there... so used to it in Access. The image controls in A5 aren't very fast so I put in ImageXpress. It supports drag and drop so I was hoping to have a form where I could re-order images by dragging them around... found I couldn't do it.... too bad.

Comment

Just so you don't think others don't share your points of view--I have the drag-drop feature in a 1995 Clarion based software I use and it really is a nice feature. Many will say that it is not necessary and seldom used....all depends upon the software I maintain and it just is an easier way many times to accomplish what has to be worked around using a platform that does not have this capability.

Also, I believe there can be a way to incorporate an emulated version of drag-drop using API calls....If I remember right, I need 2 more to be translated to xbasic for such a thing to become a reality (mousedown/up and some other)---just no time and most likely would have to enlist the aid of Marcel Kollenaar to figure it out as well!!! :)
          Mike

Comment

I think I am naive, but we are able to "drag'ndrop" in reports and in forms.
            So there is some sort of "drag'ndrop".
            I would like that feature with some graphics capabilities.

Comment

Mike,

You are correct. Alpha Five allows you to use drag and drop to build your application.

But Alpha Five does not currently offer native drag and dropping to users of your application.

I'm OK with that provided, that drag and drop works with third party ActiveX controls that permit dragging and dropping. Thus far, I have not been able to get this to work, hence my posting.

Bob McGaffic
              Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

I wonder about ver 10. what are the surprises in the new version.?
                When can we see a peek at it?

Comment

You can fake "drag and drop" w. xbasic on a form. It's not really drag and drop, of course, but a fake that may or may not work for you. I know that you are a purist, Bob, so you probably would not like it.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Keith, Peter
                    Drag and drop is an essential - its 2009 for goodness sake.
                    I am constantly asked by clients if they can drag & drop
                    and they are not impressed when I say it cant be done with Alpha.
                    I have lost several clients for this reason!

Comment

I'm probably making more work for myself here:

D&D can be done with A5. I have a working example. The "buts" are that it's javascript-based, so it gets done via the web apps. Now since you can put these on your desktop I'm not sure that's a drawback any more.

When I get time (ain't gonna be tomorrow) I'll try to put this into a usable, understandable form for ya'll. It's been on my list but other things keep taking priority.
                      -Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply. I need this feature for desktop apps I have developed in A5v5 onwards. The companies I work for would balk if I suggested they need their apps need to be upgraded to a web based app costing a few thousand dollars just for drag and drop - wouldn't you!

Comment

I was hoping V10 would have that addition.
                          Why Alpha has never address this issue?
                          Steve, We know you must have a tough schedule, but would appreciate that sample whenever you can spare the time.
                          I am sure the entire board will benefit from it and Alpha may get a hint and be able to apply within the program.
                          Much thanks in advance.

Comment

Jeff - the "web app" stuff isn't the barrier you seem to think that it is. And the cost is zero. V10 has taken long steps towards being able to use html and javascript right on the desktop. This combines the best of both worlds. You can now, for instance, put a grid on your desktop that doesn't require an A5W server running someplace.

When you think about it, drag & drop is something that is going to take a bit of effort for any developer to implement; you need to define your starting list, your target list, etc. "Native", I guess, is in the eyes of the beholder, but right now I'd say that A5 has the "native" tools to do this.

I know that the guys at Alpha would like to make some more improvements to the desktop side (above what they've done already in V10). That will require replacing a lot of old code, and they'll be doing it with newer tools. This involves javascript, .net etc.

What I said: I'm afraid to post this because it's going to cause me extra work before I really have time.
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Steve - We will all appreciate it as and when you find time.

Maybe this is something that Alpha themselves should provide as an example or possibly pay a skilled developer who knows how but is struggling to find/justify the time over paid jobs:D.

It sure would tick a box if Alpha could boast desktop drag & drop abilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X