Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Emailing and Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emailing and Vista

I have an app that works fine in XP but when using that exact same app in Vista everything works except the email options.

The email settings are exactly the same as in the XP version and also exactly the same as what was set up in Outlook. Outlook works in Vista but A5 email doesn't. (And, I've tested it on two systems with the same result.)

Anybody have an idea what might need to be done to fix this?

Since it may be a "generic" problem, I haven't provided any details here but I can if needed. The one thing I can say is that the program - both A5 and the application - have been installed outside of the Program Files folder.

Re: Emailing and Vista

Is there a development system on the Vista PC or a runtime? If dev, could you try a quick app to test the email stuff. Or, create another small app that just does an email function to see if it's A5 or the machine. I've tested the email stuff under development on my PC - running Vista and Outlook 2007 - all ok. Haven't tried it under runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
      Is there a development system on the Vista PC or a runtime? If dev, could you try a quick app to test the email stuff. Or, create another small app that just does an email function to see if it's A5 or the machine. I've tested the email stuff under development on my PC - running Vista and Outlook 2007 - all ok. Haven't tried it under runtime.
      Both. The customer's machine is runtime only. I tested it on my machine with the full version. This is a generic app used by about 8 customers (probably 15-16 total computers) on a daily basis. One customer got a new machine with Vista on it and didn't tell me. After moving everything to his new Vista machine, the e-mail wouldn't work so I tested it on my Vista machine (it's a dual boot system) with the same results.

1. The app has been fully proven on XP.
      2. The e-mail problem occurs in Vista no matter which xbasic method is used and if you attempt to e-mail something from the print preview window. (I used different commands in the various scripts but I don't recall why.)
      3. Outlook works on his system but I've never set up any e-mail in my Vista system other than [unsuccessfully] in A5. And I double checked to make sure the A5 settings matched the ones in Outlook that are working.

In other words, this seems to be a general e-mail failure with Vista rather than a coding issue.

I've had a dual boot system for well over a year but unfortunately (fortunately?) haven't used Vista for more than about 45 minutes total. I suspect there's something I have to do in Vista in order to make it work.

Comment

Vista 64? Here's a link to another report problem but no solution.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ighlight=Vista

What are the errors you're getting?

How are you using A5 email? Can you provide a sample?

Comment

Not Vista 64 as far as I know. Certainly not on my system.

Attached is one error message from the customer. I can't get you one from my system until I shut down and reboot into Vista.

As you can see, this error in the screenshot from the customer was from just clicking the "e-mail as PDF" icon on the Print Preview window. No code to send you in that case.

I've attached a copy of the output from my AIMS App Analyzer. You can see that there are a lot of scripts that use e-mail and even more lines of code (due to various selections within each script) - which is why this is so important to this app. As far as I can tell so far, none of these work and there really isn't anything fancy about calling email_client(). (I'm not sure about the email_client_external() - I presume it works but haven't specifically tested it yet.)

There are also some email_send2() commands and those definitely don't work:
          email_send2( mp, mail_profile, .F., .T. )
          email_send2( emp, "trak-it rpts" )

Since they all work in XP, I'm convinced it's not the code in A5. (On the other hand, I was proven wrong once long ago - I think it was at least 15,273 seconds ago.)

I'm going to copy the A5 program to Program Files and try that.

Comment

I'm running Vista 32 SP1, latest build of A5V9 - build 3264.

The Print Preview email as PDF works fine for both the A5 client and outlook.

Whatever build you have, try a re-install. By the looks of the error message something is really messed up.

Comment

Cal,

This is a long shot, but I have found with certain versions of Vista if the Runtime engine is above the application folder in the tree, several Alpha functions look downwards and do not run. Previously I would name the runtime A5v9Runtime but since I renamed the engine folder and dropped the A5 to read V9runtime so that is is always alphabetically below my application it works fine.

Michael

Comment

Hi Cal,

Can you test it without firewalls and Antivirus programs? They may be shutting down Alpha's access to the email operations.
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                  Cal,

This is a long shot, but I have found with certain versions of Vista if the Runtime engine is above the application folder in the tree, several Alpha functions look downwards and do not run. Previously I would name the runtime A5v9Runtime but since I renamed the engine folder and dropped the A5 to read V9runtime so that is is always alphabetically below my application it works fine.

Michael
                  Where is your copy of A5v9 installed? In the default under Program Files?

Comment

Originally posted by csda1 View Post
                    Hi Cal,

Can you test it without firewalls and Antivirus programs? They may be shutting down Alpha's access to the email operations.
                    Tried that. No help.

Comment

Cal:
                      Here is a 1/2 ass suggestion simply because I just don't spend much time with Vista, but somewhere in the crevices of my memories I remember something about problems with email and Vista that has to do with where Microsoft saves the email files and that you have to delete and change that location. A process that needs further details and caution. Your best bet is to go to Microsoft message board. I bet you could spend a whole week sorting through this issue, but I doubt if it is an alpha issue.

Comment

Can you create a stipped down database with just one failing email process? We can all try it.

Comment

Cal,

You might try disabling UAC (User Access Control) on the machine that is generating the error.

We had a similar problem when we first converted some machines to Vista and this solved our problem.

Tim

Comment

Tim:
                            Thanks.. I was struggling to remember this UAC thing.. which any Vista user needs to be aware of and most likely turn it off.

Comment

Yes... UAC turned off here... I always forget that and no emailing problems. A VB app my users install fails under Vista, not nicely either... no nice message from Vista about security, just fails.

Comment

Working...
                              X