Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Cursor position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cursor position

I have an issue with the cursor position in a browse on a form.
    Attached picture shows a form to enter payments received on invoices.
    The browse is based on the parent with the name field retrieved from a child.
    In this form all fields except the last one are read-only and only the last field has a tab stop. As such the cursor stays in that field. In this last field the amounts received are entered. Based on amount received, some fields are updated and that seems to work correctly.

When entering a value in the first line and pressing TAB, the cursor jumps to the second line. When entering a value in the second line and using TAB, the cursor stays in that field. Repeating this process for the third and following records results in the cursor jumping back to the second line.

I have been reading many posts but don't see a solution for this behaviour.

Does anybody know how to remedy this?

Thanks,

Jo Hulsen
    Jo Hulsen
    Dommel Valley Solutions
    The Netherlands

Re: Cursor position

You might go to View/Settings/data entry and select modeless. I don't know if that will fix your problem but it's worth a try.

Comment

Robert,

Thanks for the tip. I checked that setting but it is already modeless.

I am using the latest build 2095-3264.

Regards,

Jo Hulsen
      Jo Hulsen
      Dommel Valley Solutions
      The Netherlands

Comment

Well, you can try modal but I don't think that will do it.
        Second, you can go to Records/advanced/follow changes and see if that helps.
        You can also check the field rules for that field to see if "auto advance after field..." is checked.

What's really confusing is when you say it actually jumps backwards to a previous record. How is this field indexed?

Comment

Robert,

Thanks.
          Tried all you suggested and more but all lead to the same result that the cursor is jumping back to the second record in the browse.
          A filter is involved to select unpayed invoices, took that out but no result.

I realized it might be difficult for many of you to judge the contents of the picture as it is in Dutch, that's why I changed that to English headers.

The set involved uses referential integrity, maybe that could be a source of the problem?
          The index is on Pupil nr.

I will try to create a new set and see if that leads to some kind of solutions.

Regards,

Jo Hulsen
          Jo Hulsen
          Dommel Valley Solutions
          The Netherlands

Comment

I'm curious whether you're using the "new" browse control ?

-- tom

Comment

Originally posted by DVSOL005 View Post
              The browse is based on the parent with the name field retrieved from a child.
              Are you saying that, in the browse, you have fields from the parent and others from the child table?

Comment

Tom,

I am not using the new browse as I had problems with that before and submitted a bug report around 21st of March.

Jo Hulsen
                Jo Hulsen
                Dommel Valley Solutions
                The Netherlands

Comment

G.

Yes, to be more specific only the name field comes from a child. But anyway when I take that field out the form shows the same behaviour.
                  Just tested that to make sure!

Jo Hulsen
                  Jo Hulsen
                  Dommel Valley Solutions
                  The Netherlands

Comment

Some years ago there was a problem if a browse had only one column. I wonder if having only one tab stop could be an issue. You might try giving another column a tab stop and just making it read only. If that works you might submit it as a bug.

Bill.

Comment

Bill,

Thanks for the tip.

I believe I tried that before but will give it another try to make sure.

Jo Hulsen
                      Jo Hulsen
                      Dommel Valley Solutions
                      The Netherlands

Comment

Jo, maybe it's time for you to post a stripped down version of your database so we can look over your shoulder?

Using AlphaSports I created a new form based on the Products table. I embedded a browse object in the layout. It has 3 columns, Product_Id, Description, Cost. The first two columns were made read only. "Tab stops" for the first two columns were removed. Pressing TAB or ENTER after editing any existing cost field value moved focus to the next row, with cursor positioned in the Cost column. So, my little model seems to be working correctly. How is it different from yours?

I'm using the new browse object with build 2095_3264

Comment

Sorry, I can't help you here since this seems to be a v9 issue which I don't have that is unless I am misunderstanding your question.

The way I understand your question:
                          1-You have an embedded browse in a form based on a set
                          2-The embedded browse has fields both from the parent and the child
                          3-All but the last field (column) are read only
                          4-Only the last column has a tab stop
                          5-As a result, when you tab from the last column you expect the cursor to move to the next record which it does from the first to the second record but gets stuck on the second record.

In v8 if you try to uncheck tab stop from a column, alpha automatically makes it a tab stop. In other words, alpha does allow you to skip columns. I don't know if you can do that in v9, thus I have nothing to contribute here.

Comment

is the pupil nr field updated when you put the payment in the other field.? Just trying to see if indexing might be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                              Sorry, I can't help you here since this seems to be a v9 issue which I don't have that is unless I am misunderstanding your question.

The way I understand your question:
                              1-You have an embedded browse in a form based on a set
                              2-The embedded browse has fields both from the parent and the child
                              3-All but the last field (column) are read only
                              4-Only the last column has a tab stop
                              5-As a result, when you tab from the last column you expect the cursor to move to the next record which it does from the first to the second record but gets stuck on the second record.

In v8 if you try to uncheck tab stop from a column, alpha automatically makes it a tab stop. In other words, alpha does allow you to skip columns. I don't know if you can do that in v9, thus I have nothing to contribute here.
                              G

1 through 4 are correct.

As for 5, just tabbing from one record to the next one works perfect as long as no value is entered. It's when a value is entered in the last colomn that the odd behaviour appears.
                              Example of events and observations:
                              -enter value in record one and TAB;
                              -the cursor jumps to the last column of record 2;
                              -enter value in record 2 and Tab;
                              -the cursor stays is the last column of record 2;
                              -TAB to record3;
                              -enter value in record 3 and TAB;
                              -cursor jumps back to last column of record 2.
                              etc.

Even if you cann't help I very much appreciate the fact that you did spent time to look into this issue.

Thanks & regards,

Jo Hulsen
                              Jo Hulsen
                              Dommel Valley Solutions
                              The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X