Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgrading Users Runtimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Users Runtimes

Hi All,

If i need to upgrade my clients with the latest Runtime builds you would expect that it should be simple to copy the new build over the top of the existing old version but if i do this when trying to run the engine it generates the error message.. see attached.

It is OK if the latest build is a clean install to a new folder but this then requires that all existing shortcuts need to be edited and sometimes they may have several apps running from the same engine.

Anyone else tried to upgrade their users Runtime builds?

Michael

Re: Upgrading Users Runtimes

Hi Michael,

Why do you think you need to install the latest patch of a runtime, if your app is running perfectly smoothly?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

I'm assuming that the only time you should upgrade is based upon your current application build. The Run Time installed by should always reflect your current distribution build. Only update the runtimes when you distribute a new build is how I do it. Ryland

Comment

Why do you think you need to install the latest patch of a runtime, if your app is running perfectly smoothly?

I am sure there must be a way of avoiding the errors when overwriting the Runtime files and this is why I have posted, hoping someone knows how.

Michael

Comment

ahh - ok I understand. I have only one main app that is integrated. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion.... Ryland

Comment

Hi Michael,

It is generally accepted that "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

I realise why you asked the question, but as I understand it, you only need to update the runtime, if there was a bug in the full version of Alpha you were working with, on the application you developed and installed on a clients machine, which is something I'm sure you would not have done.
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Michael, your experience here may be more than mine, but I've always assumed one would either:

a) uninstall, then reinstall (the runtime); or

b) run the runtime patch against the existing installation.

When you "copy the new build over the existing" are you actually running the installation program, or are you merely copying?

Comment

The user downloads an .exe and it runs via Astrum installer and ideally i want the users to always overwrite the Runtime without the need to ask the user to uninstall (They may inadvertantly uninstall the wrong app and loose their data). I can easily install giving them Runtime1 and Runtime2 folders so leaving existing applications and shortcuts in place but I would prefer to overwrite using a single up to date engine clean from past bugs for all of their applications and because in the future i may need to update applications with new features from the new browse etc ....this is why I am asking if anyone knows of way to overwrite.

Surely there must be a method to overwrite the old runtime engines with later versions in the same way that we download from the Alpha site the latest builds and overwrite the existing engines.

Michael
                Last edited by Michael Humby; 04-10-2009, 05:47 PM.

Comment

What am I missing here? There is a runtime patch for every full version patch. What's the problem with just running the runtime patch on the runtime machines just like you do on the development machine? I do it all the time, with no problems whatsoever. The patch gets the runtime install folder from the registry (I assume) so you do not even have to worry about different machines having the runtime installed in different places.

On an entirely different subject, I am with you on reasons other than something being broken for wanting everyone on the same A5 version you have done your latest development and testing on. New patches not only fix things mentioned in the release notes, they often fix other things not mentioned, plus they add new features that you may have taken advantage of in the app's latest build. Keep in mind that if you run into problems with a new patch, it is a simple matter to just roll back by re-installing an older patch version.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Michael,

Does Astrum run the runtime patch exe you download from Alpha? Runtime patches overwrite all the old stuff as far as I know.

Comment

What am I missing here? There is a runtime patch for every full version patch. What's the problem with just running the runtime patch on the runtime machines just like you do on the development machine? I do it all the time, with no problems whatsoever. The patch gets the runtime install folder from the registry (I assume) so you do not even have to worry about different machines having the runtime installed in different places.
                      Can we do this? I don't think we can on client's PCs unless they have the full version of Alpha installed (and this is very unlikely).

I think my original post has become side tracked. All I want is the ability to distribute different applications to existing customers and overwrite their Runtime folder on their PCs with the latest build regardless of how many of my applications they own. In other words lots of different applications supplied over several years and a single up to date runtime engine. (I do not want their PCs cluttered with different builds of runtime)

They may have purchased an application two years previously developed in an old build and now I may be upgrading their existing application and also supplying another new application so it would be far more logical if they have a single runtime engine installed.

Presently, if I try to overwrite their runtime with a later build, the runtime will not run. I need to know if there is a way to overwrite existing runtime engines with a new build or is this just NOT possible because of Alpha licensing issues.

I am off to the golf course now.

Michael

Comment

Just to confirm... you have multiple apps installed for 1 client all using the same runtime folder on 1 PC. I didn't get that from your original post. So... all your apps MUST be at the same runtime level.

Anything to do with Vista? From the info I read in the runtime builder in Alpha5, the location for the runtime folder is under \Program Files. If you're running Vista with UAC On this could be the problem. I've not installed a couple of apps on one PC yet but it's not hard to test, but I can't do it under Vista with UAC ON.

Comment

Michael,
                          Just tell your clients to point their browsers at
                          http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...chDownload.ASP

and they can download and run the patch. They don't need the full version to do so.

Comment

Peter,

Thanks for your advice, i am amazed that a non full version user can do this.

Unfortunately, this will not meet my needs for various reasons and also i have introduced the Alpha branding utility into my runtime installs.

Ideally, i would like my custom install routines and downloads from my website to simply copy the new runtime build over the old files.

Do you think this is possible by perhaps by omitting to overwrite specific key files?

Michael
                            Last edited by Michael Humby; 04-12-2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Humby View Post
                              Peter,

Thanks for your advice, i am amazed that a non full version user can do this.

Unfortunately, this will not meet my needs for various reasons and also i have introduced the Alpha branding utility into my runtime installs.

Ideally, i would like my custom install routines and downloads from my website to simply copy the new runtime build over the old files.

Do you think this is possible by perhaps by omitting to overwrite specific key files?

Michael
                              Are you saying you are trying to fully hide "Alpha Five" within you application? If so, that is not fully possible (or at least practical) no matter what you do, as some error messages and other minor things will still reveal Alpha Five being under the hood. Plus all the A5 patches say is that it is an Alpha Five V9 patch--hardly a big deal, I would think, though I suspect you disagree. You can even rename the patch file something like "My App Patch.exe" and put it on your web site or send it out on your CD. These runtime patches do exactly what you want in all other regards with no worries about messing things up, other than the possibility you may occasionally have to roll back to previous patch if the latest patch runs into a problem that your testing did not reveal. That too is a no brainer. You should never have to re-install all the runtime files the way you seem to want to do. All you are doing is asking for trouble. That said, I suppose there would be a way to do what you want, but I for one would not wastre a minute trying figure it out and test it. It's the old cost vs. benefit thing and to me there is virtually NO benefit.

You could also try to get Alpha to put out a version of the patches that do not say anything about Alpha Five--probably easy enough to do but given the underwhelming demand for such a thing, I doubt that they would do it. But you could put it on the Wish List on this forum and see what happens.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
                              X