Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Drop down list problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop down list problem

I am using drop down lists to fill in a number of fields on forms in my application, I have suddenly started to notice that when I type something into one of these boxes, if I get a match it is always displayed off the bottom of the drop down list which is very annoying and means that I have to scroll the list down before I can select the correct item! Is there any way to force the matching item to appear at the top of this list instead?

See 2 screen shots for example first shows item disappearing off the bottom of the list second shows result after scrolling down a bit.

Has anyone else noticed this and have a work around?

Many thanks,

Alastair

Re: Drop down list problem

If there is a match, I am not sure why you have to scroll at all, just hit Enter. But OK... another approach..Use a progressive lookup.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ht=progressive
    Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply, the reason I don't want to press enter is because the displayed list contains part numbers initially, followed by a description, which means as I start typing in the text I am after there could be a number of items selected; usually over 20 or more, so pressing enter wouldn't necessarily select the correct item and having to scroll downwards each time is a real pain - I am fairly sure in my distant memories of doing something similar using Access (sorry about my language!!!) that it used to display the first matching record at the top of the displayed list which makes much more sense when you think about it.

Alpha Fives first selected record is displayed off the bottom of the displayed list and a whole list full of items which don't match the text you are after take precedence? Surely there must be something wrong, this can't be what Alpha intended - its not logical????

Comment

what about using a progressive lookup?
        Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yes, I tried your example but it is more complicated than I really want. I have a working example of what I wish to do - which I am happy with except this problem with the positioning of the first result - off the bottom of the table???

I was wondering if anyone else had a solution that solved this, the way I am using it, rather than coding a new solution.

Could this be a bug? If so has anyone reported it?

Comment

Well this doesn't seem to be causing anyone else a problem, judging by the few responses, so perhaps it is time to try a different solution?

Mike, I have looked at your example regarding progressive lookups above and I like the way it works, although I don't pretend that I understand the code you have produced... Would there be an easy way of incorporating your solution or something similar into my application?

My app. is based on the Alphasports DB which came with Alpha Five ver 4/5 and my order screen which the problem is occuring on is a highly modified version of the Alphasports DB order screen. In the latest version of this database the orders screen can be accessed through the top button from the main menu. I think they call it "Invoices" the code would have to work on the field called description. Can you give me some ideas on how I would go about this?

Comment

My example in the above referenced thread has a button on the form having progressive lookup created with action scripting. You will have to study that and use that and make the appropriate changes to address your applications tables and field. That's about the best I can do without an example of your application in hand to demonstrate that for you.

Sorry for the delayed response. I am on vacation.
              Mike W

Comment

Thanks for your help Mike, I was just wondering if I could seamlessly introduce this into the way I fill my form, but it seems not...

Comment

I was just wondering if I could seamlessly introduce this into the way I fill my form, but it seems not...
                  Maybe you could use the embedded xdialog super control. I've not used it as I've only just upgraded to V9 but it might be worth a try.

Comment

Yes, I think maybe there is a way, but instead of pressing a push button to do this I want to do it when a column in my child table gets focus.

At the moment I select a field and a drop down list opens automatically - I think it uses field rules, as I type in the first few characters of the part number it starts to narrow down the items that match.

See this link for a short video example:

http://screencast.com/t/bD86wPj5w7L

Could the progressive lookup be setup to work like this?

Comment

Yes. position the dialog to open under the browse field using {position=x,y}, remove the caption with {nocaption}, remove the buttons, and have the browse close when the item is selected, which I know can be done, but I am not the best with a_dialog_button methods and syntax, so I would have to play with it, and grind out how to get that to happen. But it is doable.
                      Mike W

Comment

Mike, I am Still thinking about the repercussions of this!

At the moment I am using field rules to lookup and post values using these rules to update stock values based on the value selected in this field. If I use this progressive lookup method it looks like I will have to switch off the field rules? Am I right about this, or is there a way around this as I do not want to lose this functionality.

The field rules that I am using are virtually the same as those in the Alphasports database - Invoices form.
                        Last edited by Alastair; 06-29-2009, 07:39 AM. Reason: edited for readability

Comment

Alastair,

It might be worth contacting Alpha as it doesn't seem normal windows behaviour to have it at the bottom. This might be something they can solve relatively easily by having an option when setting up the lookup whether to show at the top or bottom. Not sure you would get it into V9 but there is a chance it might be added to V10.

Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff,

Yes, that was what I was hoping/thinking when I started this post, I have looked at the properties of this field but cannot see anything that looks relevant, I was wondering if anyone else could suggest anything...

The only suggestion so far is this progressive lookup which looks like it will do the job, but only if it will work with the existing field rules as well?!

I must admit I don't think the way this works at the moment is at all logical, I did report it to Alpha but I haven't had a response so far, perhaps seeing as Version 10 is imminent Version 9 is not as important anymore???

Comment

How did you report it? I mostly send bug reports even though sometimes it is debatable whether something is a bug or just designed to behave differently than you would expect. Although it can be argued that the lookup was designed to behave this way I would ask them to clarify the reasoning since other windows applications do not work this way.

hmmm. Thought I would have a play with some other applications before I posted this reply. It seems that some work on the basis that if the search term can be seen on the current display (browse) it doesn't shift to the top but moves the selected record pointer to it. However if it cannot be seen then it does bring the search term to the top. Not sure how well I have explained that but hopefully you will get my drift.

So up until now I hadn't really looked at the lookups in my own db so I did. I found that Alpha5 is behaving as I would expect bringing my search term to the top and making it the selected record. The only time it doesn't seem to bring it to the top is if the browse is showing the last of the records. All in all it is operating how I would want it to with the data I have tested it with (customer list).

Comment

Working...
                              X