Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help on can you do a multi-browse within a form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on can you do a multi-browse within a form?

Can you do a form that has a different inserted browse within the form and is using a different database than the current database you are in? Another words I have tried to use within a current database using an already designed browse inserted in the form and would like to insert an already designed browse from a diffrent database... I know how to do the first one but cannot figure out how to do the second one... I didn't know if I was just wasting time because it can't be done or not??? Would love the answer on this if possible and if it is how do you do it??? Tired and frustrated... Many thanks on the help in advance...

Re: Help on can you do a multi-browse within a form?

Do you mean different database or different table?

I think you are asking the same question asked here two hours ago.
    There can be only one.

Comment

I am wanting to be able to use 2 different designed browses created in different "dbf" database files to be inserted in a single form...

Comment

You can do this as explained in the link in the link provided.

Create a set. The linking expression for the unrelated tables can be any expression that evaluates to true.
        There can be only one.

Comment

I started to do that but I didn't know how to get around the different link issue because there are not to links within the 2 browses that are the same... Do I create a dummy set to do this?

Comment

That's what Stan is saying. Create a dummy set -- link the tables using an expression. The expression does not have to relate to anything, it only has to evaluate to True.

For instance, 1=1 is an expression that evaluates to True but is not related to either table. Use that as the linking expression between the two unrelated tables.

Does this make sense?

Comment

The only thing is I have created a dummy and a dummy1 with a numeric field in both named "equal" and the field size is 1...
              Once that is done if that is correct, what do I select for the next pat to link them... My choices are passive link, new mapped table, or new set... Or none of the above because I am still confused...
              Thanks much!!!

Comment

Create a set with the table upon which your current form is based as the parent.
                In this set, link the "unrelated" table to the parent.

The linking expression for the parent side of the link is 1=1
                The linking expression for the child side of the link is 1=1

Save the set.

Right click on your form name in the control panel, choose Copy To...
                Select the new set as the destination.

You will now be able to create an object on the new version of the form, browse type. The table for the browse can be the "unrelated" table since it is now part of the set.
                There can be only one.

Comment

I guess I am stupid!!! I created a set called dummy and dummy1 with edit structure having a name called equal and a numeric of 1... Then I created a blank form in dummy and then saved it as form_browse... Then I right clicked on the form "form_browse" and chose copy to and selected the dummy1... Then I opened either form and tried to do a browse inset from the tools menu and I get the same choices, dummy and nothing else... I missing it big time...
                  Sorry... Wish I understood this better...

Comment

Let's take it from the start.

What is the name of the table which is the basis for your current form?

I have tried to use within a current database using an already designed browse inserted in the form and would like to insert an already designed browse from a diffrent database
                    This table?

would like to insert an already designed browse from a diffrent database
                    What is the name of this table?
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Stan I appreciate your help on this... I am not sure what you are asking for... Here is what I am trying to do... I have a database with a already browse made in a database named ltr_ids.dbf and another already made browse made in a database file named stadium user.dbf. I just noticed that the database file doesn't have the _ between stadium_user.dbf... Anyway I wanted to create a form that would allow both different titled browses to be inserted on the form at the same time instead of going back and forth between databases... I tried to create a dummy_form.dbf and then another dummy_form1.dbf and link the 2 together so I could create another form that would allow me to insert the 2 different titled browse databases... It's apparent I do not understand what it is you and others are trying to get me to do. I usually do pretty good but this time I am in the dirt... I do good with examples if there is such a thing... I am all ears to what you suggest I should do...
                      Thanks in advance...

Comment

Create a set with ltr_ids.dbf as the parent and stadium user.dbf as the child.

As you begin creating the set Alpha will ask you for the parent and child. When you have selected these two tables you must specify the linking key. In this case you will specify the expression 1=1 in both sides of the set creator.

Save the set with an appropriate name.

Go to the forms tab and start a new form based on this set. You can choose to include fields from the parent on the form, or not. The default will be a form with fields from the parent and a browse of the child.

You probably want a blank form.

On this blank form you can use the object menu to place a new object, browse type. Do this and specify saved browse and choose one of your saved browses and size to taste. Do the same thing again and specify your other saved browse.

Save the form.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks I got it finally!!!! It works great!!! Many thanks for your help!!!

Comment

Just one more question... Why will it not let me sort by different fields? Example I want to sort parant by frequency and the child by channel... It puts child in a enter mode and won't allow you to esc or do anything... Very confusing...

Comment

I've never worked with such a set so I can't say what the issue might be. Attach a sample here and we'll look.

For my own enlightenment and to better help others later.....

What was your stumbling block with the description of the set as first laid out? IOW, what part of the "instructions" as to how to create what you needed didn't make sense, to you, and led you on the path to

create a dummy_form.dbf and then another dummy_form1.dbf and link the 2 together so I could create another form that would allow me ...........
                              There can be only one.

Comment

Working...
                              X