Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Active link table arguments without dialog box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active link table arguments without dialog box

Hi all.

Sorry for long explanation of my problem, but I can't explain it shorter. I have started to use Alpha Five V9 Platinum a month ago.

Suppose I have SLQ table named ARTICLES, say in FIREBIRD database. It is a table in which I intend to save articles for several firms, in which every firm has its own list of articles. Simplified, this table have next structure:

ARTICLEID Numeric This is ID for article row
    FIRMID Numeric This is ID of firm which are articles
    ARTICLENAME Character This is article for FIRMID

I decided to make application with data of several firms in one database, and I can,t change that because it is important for my users.

In the begining of application I have a form for loging in user and then another form with browse for selecting firm. After that form with browse I have value for FIRMID of selected firm, which I put in GLOBAL variable glFIRMID. Next I open third form with many buttons for working with selected firm's data. One of them is intended for opening form for entering articles for selected firm.

After that I created Active Link Table based on ARTICLES table. During creation process I formed SELECT statement: SELECT * FROM ARTICLES WHERE FIRMID = :argFIRMID. Also, Alpha formed INSERT statement: INSERT INTO ARTICLES (ARTICLEID,FIRMID,ARTICLENAME) VALUES (:new.ARTICLEID,:new.FIRMID,:new.ARTICLENAME).

When I click on mentioned button I get dialog box prompting me for value for argument argFIRMID. Well, as I already have that value in glFIRMID variable, I would like not to get that prompt but to transfer my global variable value to SELECT statement as value for argument. I read some messages and texts about SQL::Arguments but did not succeded. I tried several combinations but without result. Now I do not know how to do that (what code to write) and where (in what event of what object) to put that code.

Same thing is with INSERT statement. Can I write that statement with :glFIRMID instead :new.FIRMID ? How to pass glFIRMID to INSERT statement ?

This is big step for me but I am totally stoped, I can't go further. I will have many other tables with same problem.

Thank you in advance.

Dordije.

Re: Active link table arguments without dialog box

Hi,
    I have not used Active linked tables but imagine the same tactic is used as with Passive linked tables which I have used....you basically have to add the argument with script instead of adding it at runtime as you are doing. Check out this link from the help file and it should be what you need I think...

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...nts__Add().htm
    Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike,

I visited text you pointed me to, but I still need to do thing with active linked table, in real-time.

Meanwhile, I tried opening my form (which is based on active linked table ARTICLES), with command:

f = form.view("frmARTICLES","","","","",args)

I found this in some other thread, and I think it will solve me the first problem with SELECT statement.

Still I am searching to find solution for passing global variable value to INSERT statement. How can I put some value to :new.FIELDX argument of INSERT statement ?

Thanks, Dordije.

Comment

Dordije.

Here is a function I wrote to change the password for a login ID where the ID and password are stored in an active SQL table. I do a select to find the ID and then do an update. Pay attention to the dim vArgs and vArgs.add command.

Code:
        FUNCTION ChangePassword AS V ( )

'Change password
        	DIM SHARED vLogin as C = ""
        	DIM SHARED vOldPwd as C = ""
        	DIM SHARED vNewPwd1 as C = ""
        	DIM SHARED vNewPwd2 as C = ""
        	DIM SHARED vResult as C
        	DIM SHARED vOKflag as L = .F.

vResult=ui_dlg_box("Change Password",<<%dlg%
        {Windowstyle=Gradient Horizontal Middle}
        {font=arial,10}
        {region}
        Login:| [.16vLogin!okchk];
        Old Password:| [%p%.16vOldPwd!okchk];
        New Password:| [%p%.16vNewPwd1!okchk];
        Reenter New:| [%p%.16vNewPwd2!okchk];
        {endregion};
        {line=1,0};
        {region}
        <*15&OK!OK?vOKflag> <15&Cancel!CANCEL>
        {endregion};
        %dlg%,<<%code%
        	IF a_dlg_button = "okchk" THEN
        		a_dlg_button = ""
        		vOKflag = (vLogin!="" .and. vOldPwd!="" .and. vNewPwd1!="" .and. vNewPwd2!="")
        	END IF
        %code%)

IF vResult = "CANCEL" THEN
        		end
        	END IF

dim vConn as SQL::Connection
        	dim vArgs as SQL::Arguments
        	dim vSql as c

'open an sql connection
        	IF .not. Vconn.Open("::Name::MySqlServer") THEN
        		ui_msg_box("Error","Could not connect to database. Error reported was: " + crlf() + vConn.CallResult.text)
        		end
        	END IF

vSql=<<%sql%
        Select emplogin, emppassword 
        from employee  
        where emplogin = :login 
        %sql%

'add variable arguments
        	vArgs.add("login",vLogin)

'run query
        	IF .not. vConn.execute (vSql,vArgs) THEN
        		ui_msg_box("Error","Could not execute SQL for a database. Error reported was: " + crlf() + vConn.CallResult.text)
        	END IF

'check for valid login and password
        	IF vConn.ResultSet.GoToRow(1) THEN
        		IF vConn.ResultSet.data("login") <> vLogin .or. decrypt_string(vConn.ResultSet.data("password"),"XYZZY") <> vOldPwd THEN
        			ui_msg_box("Change Password Message","Login failed.  Password not changed.",UI_ATTENTION_SYMBOL+UI_OK)
        			vConn.close()
        			end
        		END IF
        	ELSE
        		ui_msg_box("Change Password Message","Login failed.  Password not changed.",UI_ATTENTION_SYMBOL+UI_OK)
        		vConn.close()
        		end
        	END IF

'check for match in new passwords
        	IF vNewPwd1 <> vNewPwd2 THEN
        		ui_msg_box("Change Password Message","New passwords do not match.",UI_ATTENTION_SYMBOL+UI_OK)
        		vPptr.close()
        		end
        	END IF

'encript password
        	vNewpwd1=encrypt_string(alltrim(vNewpwd2),"XYZZY")

'time to update password
        	vSql=<<%sql%
        UPDATE employee 
        SET emppassword = :newpassword  
        WHERE emplogin = :login
        %sql%

'add variable arguments
        	vArgs.add("newpassword",vNewPwd1)

IF .not. vConn.Execute(vSql,vArgs)
        		ui_msg_box("Error","Record was not updated. Error reported was: " + crlf(2) + vConn.CallResult.text,UI_STOP_SYMBOL)
        	ELSE
        		IF Vconn.AffectedRows() < 1 THEN
        			ui_msg_box("Error","Record was not updated." ,UI_STOP_SYMBOL)
        		END IF
        	END IF

'Now, close the connection
        	vConn.close()

END FUNCTION
        Last edited by jaryder; 06-18-2009, 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
        Jeff Ryder

Comment

Jeff,

thanks for sharing your code. You used Xdialog-style for working with tables. In this moment I am not good with that way of making dialogs. So I decided to use A5 designer to create forms and browses, based on active link tables. Your code will teach me to do things in your way.

I made form frmARTICLES based on active link table ARTICLES, with SELECT and INSERT statements as I described (created by A5; I only added WHERE clause, during creation process of that form).

Yesterday i put this code in button for opening form frmARTICLES:

OPTION STRICT
          DIM mArgs As SQL::Arguments
          ON ERROR GOTO Error_Handler
          mArgs.Add("argFIRMID",glFIRMID)
          FORM.view("frmARTICLES","","","","",mArgs)
          END
          Error_Handler:
          script_play("Error_Handler_01")

It seems to me that this will work what I want: to open A5 designer generated form frmARTICLES with data that satisfy WHERE FIRMID = :argFIRMID clause. I am not quite sure about it because I need more time to test it. If this will work, then I only need solution for INSERT statament.

But if this will not work, I must make forms (dialogs) using Xdialog-style mechanisam.

Thanks, Dordije.

Comment

I positively realized that this command:

FORM.view("frmARTICLES","","","","",mArgs)

did the job, but only for SELECT statement for a form based on Active link table ARTICLES. SELECT statement is:

SELECT statement: SELECT * FROM ARTICLES WHERE FIRMID = :argFIRMID

It accepts argument from mArgs and WHERE clause in SELECT statement works well.

I think that A5 lacks deeper information about Active link tables and its whole mechanisam.

I still do not know how to touch arguments in INSERT statement. I am talking about forms created by A5 forms designer and based on Active link table (not for xDialog created forms). When I Edit Active table Link definition , A5 permits me to edit SELECT, UPDATE and INSERT statement. In INSERT statement A5 puts its arguments in form :new.FIELDNAME. For example, A5 created for me statement:

INSERT INTO ARTICLES (ARTICLEID,FIRMID,ARTICLENAME) VALUES (:new.ARTICLEID,:new.FIRMID,:new.ARTICLENAME)

Suppose I have value for FIRMID in global variable glFIRMID. I do not have that field on form, because I catched this value somwhere earlier in application. Is there are any way I can pass this value to INSERT statement when working with form based on ARTICLES table ?

Thanks,

Dordije.

Comment

Dordije,
              I am just starting to use SQL so i was interested in your question re using a global variable in the insert statement of the Active link definition. After numerous attempts I have come to the conclusion that this is not possible.

However, it looks like you have the destination field in the active link table so you can get the glFIRMID variable into the FIRMID field by using field rules. (you could do it with a form level event as well but I prefer field rules for this type of action.)

As you have found, (I read in one of your posts), you cannot use a global variable in the default value field rule. (you can for a normal dbf table but not an active link table. I don't know why. Maybe it is a bug.) But we won't let that stop us. :)

In either the OnEnterRecord or CanSaveRecord record events place this code.

Code:
              t=table.current()
              dim global glFIRMID as C [COLOR=Blue] 'could also declare this variable on the 'big V' button while the table is in edit structure mode[/COLOR]
              t.FIRMID = glFIRMID
              As is implied the OnEnter will only trigger once and the CanSave will fire on every save so you can pick your poison.
              The CanSave is used instead of the OnSave because then the record is still in enter mode and table pointer is still on the record where we want the data. If the OnSave is used you would need to open the table again find the correct record and put the record in change mode.

When the record is commited the SQL table will have FIRMID inserted along with everything else.

Hope this helps. I am just learning this side of Alpha as well so no guarantees that this is the best way. It most certainly is not the only way.
              Tim Kiebert
              Eagle Creek Citrus
              A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim,

what you proposed is BINGO ! Great fo me and thank you ! That really works good !! I used this in CanSave event of embedded browse:

DIM t As P
                t=table.current()
                t.FIRMID = glFIRMID

Also, I without any problems used global variable glFIRMID dimmed early in Autoexec script. I did not needed to declare it on the form I worked with.

Your conclusion: "you cannot use a global variable in the default value field rule. (you can for a normal dbf table but not an active link table. I don't know why. Maybe it is a bug.)" really deserves some explanation of A5 employee members who participate in this message board. I still think that they must give us some more text about active link table mechanism.

Thanks again !

Dordije.

Comment

Working...
                X