Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

maximum session open tables exceeded using table.external record content get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maximum session open tables exceeded using table.external record content get

I created an xdialog form that includes a record list control and a text box. As the user enters lookup data in the text box, the record list is refreshed. The data is being retrieved using table.external_record_content_get(). After doing many lookups, the user receives an error message related to "maximum session open tables exceeded". The table being accessed is a mapped table.

I'm puzzled by the error because the external record content... command does not involve opening and closing a table. I assume this is handled by the command itself. Is there a reason why this message is popping up?

The database is on a server with 3 to 5 users on the database concurrently.

I think the users are accessing the database on the server directly. Would setting up a shadow copy on each machine possibly resolve this issue?

Thanks,
    Bob A.
    Robert Adler
    Alpha Anywhere Programmer/Developer
    Eagle Dbase Solutions, LLC
    http://www.eagledbasesolutions.com/

sigpic

Re: maximum session open tables exceeded using table.external record content get

It is possible that the table.external_record_content_get() is not properly closing the mapped table. If you can reproduce it, it sounds like a bug candidate.

Comment

Re: maximum session open tables exceeded using table.external record content get

Originally posted by boba View Post
      I created an xdialog form that includes a record list control and a text box. As the user enters lookup data in the text box, the record list is refreshed. The data is being retrieved using table.external_record_content_get(). After doing many lookups, the user receives an error message related to "maximum session open tables exceeded". The table being accessed is a mapped table.

I'm puzzled by the error because the external record content... command does not involve opening and closing a table. I assume this is handled by the command itself. Is there a reason why this message is popping up?

The database is on a server with 3 to 5 users on the database concurrently.

I think the users are accessing the database on the server directly. Would setting up a shadow copy on each machine possibly resolve this issue?

Thanks,
      Bob A.
      Hi Bob

Are you still having this issue? My dbase is SQL Server and when I read your message it made me realise that I am using many lookup tables as well and opening them frequently during testing, and I am experiencing the same problem re the maximum number of tables open message

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,

Yes, my users are still having the issue. I did report the problem to Alpha Software. Selwyn Rabins replied that I must be opening a table in my code but not closing it, which isn't the case. Something must be wrong with external_record_content_get() as the message pops up after the method is executed every 10 times or so.

My attempt to solve the issue is this:

dim t as p
        dim l as c
        t.open(tablename)
        l = t.record_content_get()
        t.close

As you can see, I'm opening and closing the table in the code and using record_content_get() to retrieve the data. This method works essentially the same as the first method except that it must be run against an open table. I am waiting to hear from my users when and if they encounter the message again. If this seems to have solved the issue, I will post another message in a week or so.

Take care,
        Bob A.
        Robert Adler
        Alpha Anywhere Programmer/Developer
        Eagle Dbase Solutions, LLC
        http://www.eagledbasesolutions.com/

sigpic

Comment

Hi Bob,
          As Peter suggested
          If you can reproduce it, it sounds like a bug candidate.
          . A bug report that has the best chance of obtaining a fix is one that is reproducible on demand and a sample that illustrates it is the easiest way.

If Selwyn was given a sample that ONLY had the table.external_record_content_get() function and the error occured on demand after using it so many times, then it would have a great chance of being fixed.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
            Hi Bob,
            As Peter suggested . A bug report that has the best chance of obtaining a fix is one that is reproducible on demand and a sample that illustrates it is the easiest way.

If Selwyn was given a sample that ONLY had the table.external_record_content_get() function and the error occured on demand after using it so many times, then it would have a great chance of being fixed.
            Hi Mike

Agree with your idea and efforts in reporting bugs, not sure how easy Bob can reproduce the error in his system, but for me the error is inconsistent. Its been happening on and off for months, its only when I read Bob's blog that the penny dropped because I am using quite a few table lookups

I hope other users appreciate your efforts in collating bugs to be fixed, based on a previous thread from yourself it seems that Alpha arent lightning fast in fixing the bugs once reported which is a shame?

Cheers

Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,
              it seems that Alpha arent lightning fast in fixing the bugs
              Not entirely true. Overall Alpha is very fast...initially when a new version comes out it is simply incredible how hard Alpha works to remedy and put out fixes---but it does tend to become less and less rapid once the version has most of the obvious ones fixed.
              Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Ahh I see, I'll take that one back :).

Have a great day

Jason

Comment

Hi Bob

Was just wondering how your end users were going? If it still seems that the error has been put to bed, I was hoping that perhaps you wouldnt mind sharing the Xdialog form that you designed (or even just the code in the back)? I can understand the code you have mentioned, but I'm just wondering what else exactly was required to get around the max tables error

Many thanks in advance for any additional assistance

Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X