Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sorting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sorting question

Dylan, yes, I understand now. You don't care if there are multiple matches as you iterate through the possibilities... you just want the last matching distributor. Right?

Comment

exactly :D

Sorry I didn't put it that simply before...I have a tendency to make things over complicated for myself

Comment

OK, see if this works for you.
        Mike W

Comment

Ok tried that but when I do the search it returns the same value all the time. And if I enter let's say 7 digits, it doesn't look for a distributor that matches it up to as many digits as the closest one has. So it's not doing the process of elimation I was talking about.

Also when i do 978 in the begining it returns another value, then when i entered in one value for some random one exactly as it is in the list, it returned with "no match found".

Can you explain what you did in it and also how I would implement it as a web based project.

The idea is I want to upload the attached excel sheet into the database, then let the program insert the correct distributer next to the isbn for a product sold. Then print it off as another excel sheet with this info in.

Attached is the document we recieve from Amazon , this is what I want to get back from Alpha but with the right distributors added next to their respective book

Comment

Getting a little confused here but would this possibly work.

You have a table of your distributors and their code that you are looking for in the imported data. If you sort these by a decreasing value for this code you would get a list that would have the longest and highest value distributor codes at the top down to the shortest and lowest value distributor codes at the bottom.

Your imported data should have flag field in it that is false to begin with and a field for the distributor code. Now starting with the first distributor code from distributor code table above, filter the imported data with the first code (highest/longest code) and that doesn't have the flag equal to true. These should be all untouched records with the longest possible match of the distributor code. Update the distributor code field in the filtered data and set the flag to true. Now continue down your whole list of distributors until done.

After this has been done I would do a check for any records that have the flag field set to false as this would mean you don't have any code that matched it. The rest of the records should now be identified.

Hopefully I understood your problem correctly.

Comment

Problem with the above is before it matches up, I need it to remove the first 3 numbers (978), then take the remain 10 digits and find the distributor prefix within it and match the ISBN up with the correct distributor, then add that distributor next to the correct ISBN and print off in a report that shows all needed data in the above attached excel format and include the distributor for each purchase.

Comment

Dylan,
                my example works appropriately. The entry number is the ENTIRE 13 digit isbn number. Put in the entire isbn number and it will find the distributor (see attached pics).

The reason that you might have gotten a no match with some is because they are not in the example you first provided. For instance Alban, bookpoint and CUP are not. Try 9781854245748 though and it will return Lion because it is in there.

What you are asking for is NO problem, but you have to have ALL the distributors in a table to look them up.

Later:
                OK, I know the problem. I changed the isbn_prefix to character and 06642 = Alban needs to be 6642, so it didn't find it.
                Last edited by Mike Wilson; 06-24-2009, 04:47 PM.
                Mike W

Comment

ahhhh, sorry never knew i had to do that, thats great, thanks for that

How complicated will it be to put that into practice as above in a web solution?

Comment

Dylan,
                    Your data is not complete and unless it is, it is hard to get you to your endpoint.

In the .xls zip desp 18.06.09, it lists the publisher as Hodder for many records. The publishers data list you posted has one entry for Hodder = 7195. There is no correlation between all the ISBN's in the desp 18.06.09 xls that has Hoder as the publisher and 7195. So it is tough to verify accuracy with the data files that you have posted with these descrepancies.

But, nonetheless, attached is an example. I took the desp 18.06.09 file and saved as a .dbf table named Orders. I made a script to empty the Publisher value from the table. I made a script to repopulate the publisher field BASED ON THE PUBLISHER TABLE THAT YOU ORIGINALLY PROVIDED. The results ended up different, from the values at the start and I am believeing it relates to the differences in the publisher data.
                    Mike W

Comment

Thanks Mike, all your help is much appreciated.

The publisher that get's given to us from Amazon is irrelative. All that needs to be matched up is the ISBN to the list of distributors in the first excel file and then exported as an excel file again with the distributors listed next to their respective orders.
                      Can, instead of removing publishers and adding distributors in place, can we rather add another column called distributor and then populate that next to the publisher column?

Another thing I have notice which could be causing problems is the one distrubutor's prefix is 007 and not just 7....this can cause issues as I've found out by trying your first example. Is there a way of over-coming the automatice removal of the 0's before other numbers?

Comment

OK,
                        I have amended the example to have it closer to what you describe. The orders table will hold the new orders that you wish to match with distributors, with the distributors present in the publishers table (these might want to be made more confluent in your permant app so not to create confusion). The product_sold() function uses the Orders table as a source, record-by-record uses the isbn of the Order's table finding a match with a distributor, and writes the order info and the distributor info to the products_sold table. This batch, I have thrown in the concept of being an "invoice" and generate an invoice number for the batch. The function then offers the user the choice to run the ps_export() function that exports that "invoice" as an excel file named by the "invoice number", or wait to run the export later.

Check it out and see what you think. Don't wory about 007. It was an issue in the first example, but the remaining examples returned the field to a numeric type. The field is a numeric field and 974007 resolves to 7 when extracted.
                        Mike W

Comment

Working...
                        X