Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

runtime update with fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

runtime update with fields

May be someone can clarify this once and for all. I have looked extensively on the board
    But have missed something as what I have done doesn�t work. I want to update a runtime
    Application on the other machine I have at the office. I have gone and put in some new fields
    And a few new scripts. To upgrade the application I first separated out all the DBF files and FPT and CDX files and then copied what was left into a folder compressed it and put that folder Into the application folder on the runtime machine where I decompressed it and then copied all on top of the application files. I then got everything I had built, new form objects and looks and fields scripts . But all the new fields I implemented are in error. Naturally I have data on the runtime machine that is not on my developer machine. I think I have to copy the dbf file over to the runtime machine to ultimately get the new fields corrected. However, I don�t want to delete or Overwrite data or loose a year or so of data that are in the runtime dbfs. What is the sure fire way to handle this so my new fields can be added to the application without overwriting or losing the data in the dbf files on the runtime machine.
    Thanks for any insight you can lend
    Sincerely George Kenney

Re: runtime update with fields

Hi George,

If you can get to import a script into the runtime machine, create one that writes new fields to an exiting table. Do a search in the Help file for tbl.FIELD_ADD(), this I would recommend as the best way forward not to lose data in an existing table.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

George, you've said some scary things but I don't think you've created any serious problems yet.

First things first - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SEPARATE BACKUP COPY OF EVERYTHING ON THE SERVER.

You said, "Naturally I have data on the runtime machine that is not on my developer machine." However, I'd say that the word "Naturally" isn't applicable at all in this case. It is normally more correct to say, "Naturally there is no actual data on my workstation." (Note the use of the term workstation.)

However, maybe this is just symantics. Let's first clarify terminology:
      Runtime - a copy of the A5 program that does not allow editing of code or restructuring tables. The runtime program could be put on the server as well as a workstation.(FWIW: Previous runtimes didn't allow editing layouts either.)
      Workstation - a computer that is linked to a server and normally uses the data that is stored on the server. The workstation might have a full copy of A5 or a runtime copy of A5 although most workstations are usually set up with the runtime. (I know of several workstations that have the full version. I also know of several servers that have the runtime installed.)
      Shadowed - This is another term that is actually separate from both of the above. A "shadowed" installation can actually be put on the server or on a workstation and can be used with either the runtime or the full version of A5. A shadowed installation is just one where the local data files 'point' to the real data in a different folder. Usually the 'different folder' is also on a different computer but it doesn't have to be. (However, there is also no reason for it to be on the same computer other than, perhaps, testing an installation routine.)

Now, do you INTENTIONALLY have data on the workstations that is NOT EVER to be on the server? This is rare but it does happen in some special situations. Changing table structure is more complicated if you have tables like this that need to be updated. However, I've never seen any server based application where more than one or two "personal" tables were on the workstation. I'm not talking about someone simply "entering data from the workstation" because the normal action in this case is for A5 to see that the .dbf file on the workstation is only a 'pointer' file (187 bytes) that points to where the real data is on the server and then the data ends up on the server.

Assuming you have shadowed workstations with no real data on them (the normal situation), you haven't done anything dangerous up to the point described. Removing the .DBF, .CDX, and .FPT files before copying your updates to the servers was exactly what you should do.

But, while we are talking about copying files around, let me add a couple warnings about the .ADB file:
      1. NEVER copy the .adb file from the server to the workstation. The .adb file is different for the "master" (server) database than it is on shadowed workstations. (Again, note that a workstation doesn't have to be shadowed but it usually will be. If it isn't shadowed but still accesses the data on the server, then there won't be any data files or dd*/se* files on the workstation at all. It may also run slower.) If you copy the one from the server to the workstations, the workstations will not refresh properly - but I don't think this is your problem.
      2. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER copy the .adb file the other direction - from a shadowed workstation to the server. If you do, I hope you have a backup of the original .adb file or are prepared for a fairly complicated rebuild. My recommendation: NEVER copy anything from the workstation to the server unless you are very careful and absolutely sure of what you are doing.

I think your problem is simply one of restructuring the tables on the server before installing the update. Actually, I'm pretty sure that restructuring them now, after the update was installed, will also solve your problem. There are many ways to do this....

One method would be for you to edit the tables that are already on the server and add the new fields - of course, this assumes that you have a full copy of A5 on the server and can halt work on the server temporarily while you update them. This can be done before installing the actual update files. I believe it can also be done afterward (now) and everything will appear normal as soon as the new fields are added. This is probably your easiest and fastest way this time.

Another method some people use is to create a new, empty table with the new structure, append the old data to the new table, delete the old table, and rename the new table to the original name. I believe this pretty much requires the developer to be present (in person or remotely) when making this type of update - but I could be wrong. (I'm sure it could be automated but I don't think most people bother.)

My preferred method is to put the field updates in the autoexec script so they will be automatically updated the first time the new application is run. Then I tell the users they must all close out for a couple minutes while I install the update. The new files are installed and the first user to start the application will update the fields without even knowing it.

Another advantage to this method is that they can install an old backup and it will automatically be updated to the new structure when the application is restarted. Otherwise the old data won't work right with the newer application - as you have seen - and the backup will be difficult at best to work with. And, a backup that can't be used isn't worth much.

Here are sample routines of mine. (There are similar examples on other threads as well. You can also get much more complex but these are the basics and handle 90% of my table structure updates.)
      Code:

[COLOR=blue]'Get the "datapath" so we know where the REAL data is - in case this [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]'is running from a workstation. (In other words, yes, this can be run [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=#0000ff]'from a workstation as well as the server.)[/COLOR]
      DIM datapath as C
      IF a5.Get_Master_Path() = ""
        datapath = a5.Get_Path()+chr(92)
      ELSE
        datapath = a5.Get_Master_Path()+chr(92)
      END IF

[COLOR=blue]'Check LAST table and LAST field updated first. If it has already been done, skip the rest.
      [/COLOR]fld_list = a5_get_fieldnames( "Program_Options.dbf" )
      IF "open_frstf"$fld_list '2009-05-23
        GOTO Updates_done
      END IF

[COLOR=blue]'---------------- Add new fields to PENDING_ORDS table[/COLOR]
      fld_list = a5_get_fieldnames( "Pending_Ords.dbf" )
      '2009-01-226 Add Zipf field.
      IF .not. ( "Zipf"$fld_list )  [COLOR=blue] 'NEVER add without checking to see if it's there first!
      [/COLOR]  new_flds = <<%list%
      Zipf,C,10,0
      %list%
        a5_add_fields_to_table( datapath + "Pending_Ords.dbf", new_flds )
      END IF

[COLOR=blue]'---------------- Add new field to CLIENTS table[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]'When multiple fields have been added at different times, make sure they [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]'are added in the correct sequence. I keep them in the list in case someone [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]'needs to install an old backup that doesn't have those fields yet.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]'This also shows how multiple fields can be added and how the field(s) can [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]'be update afterward if necesssary.
      [/COLOR]fld_list = a5_get_fieldnames( "Clients.dbf" )
      [COLOR=blue]'2008-04-10 Add fields to Clients.[/COLOR]
      IF .not. ( "Cc_Namef"$fld_list )
        new_flds = <<%list%
      Cc_Namef,C,30,0
      Cc_Streetf,C,20,0
      Cc_Zipf,C,10,0
      cc_cvvf,C,5,0
      %list%
        a5_add_fields_to_table( datapath + "Clients.dbf", new_flds )
      END IF
      [COLOR=blue]'2009-02-23
      [/COLOR]IF .not. ( "Rnw_afterf"$fld_list )
        new_flds = <<%list%
      Rnw_afterf,N,2,0
      %list%
        a5_add_fields_to_table( datapath + "Clients.dbf", new_flds )
        'Set the default to -1.
        tpc = table.open("clients")
        tpc.index_primary_put("")
        tpc.fetch_first()
        tpc.batch_begin()
        WHILE .not. tpc.fetch_eof()
          tpc.change_begin()
          tpc.Rnw_afterf = -1
          tpc.change_end()
          tpc.fetch_next()
        END WHILE
        tpc.batch_end()
        tpc.close()
      END IF

[COLOR=blue]'---------------[/COLOR]
      Updates_done:
      [COLOR=blue]'---------------[/COLOR]
      Final note: ALWAYS add new fields at the end of the list. I think a short study of the above code will reveal why.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed that when I did the copy/paste thing for the example, I left it so the example checked for a field in my Program_Options table. This was the last field that was added in my application. However, I took out that portion of the script. It really doesn't matter for the purpose of the example as long as you realize that there would normally be a routine that would add that field. I took that part out because my whole script is now 501 lines long and the Program_Options portion is 212 of that.
      Last edited by CALocklin; 06-27-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your reply your response is pure gold.
        I really appreciate the information
        and it will come to good use.
        I did�t really understand the Adb files or the shadow on a
        network and your response and code is very helpfull.
        I have been working with a developer and a single runtime
        on another machine. In the future I will set up my server
        situation so my solution was to simply to copy back and forth.
        I copied everything new to the runtime except the dbf cdx and
        fpt this updated the look and didn�t affect the data. after that
        I simply zipped the database took it to my developer added the fields and then took it back to my single runtime with a new location for the new database. I used my
        developer at one time to input about three quarters of the data.
        Anyway I didn�t know the ends and outs of updating a runntime.
        and had an Idea there was a simple solution I couldn�t really see. In the end the update is something that has to be carefully planned and executed especially in a server environment which is what I have learned from this as I am sure others will appreciate.
        Thank you
        George Kenney

Comment

Working...
        X