Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to have a contact details table with several telephone numbers and addresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to have a contact details table with several telephone numbers and addresses

Hallo,

I have a table that will be used as a contact manager. I want to be able to add several phone numbers, e-mail addresses, physical and postal addresses and also be able to choose the type like cellphone etc. How is it possible since one contact can have several numbers or other people with contact numbers where one might find them also.

Thank You

Re: How to have a contact details table with several telephone numbers and addresses

David,

Your approach is what a commercial quality contact manager provides: the ability to accomodate as few as one or as many as necessary addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc.

Note that this approach is very different than the free or the available for sale version of the Alpha Contact manager. You will need to use sets with 1:M relationships between person and addresses, for example.

You will need to decide how you want to display the 1:M relationships on your form. One option is to use a browse or another tab -- which is what Alpha creates when you allow it to create a default form. But who wants a tab for a single phone number?

Another approach, which I have used, is what commercial software such as SAP and Centerbase CRM do: display the default or most commonly used address or phone number and present all records with a separate dialog form.

A screenprint showing multiple phone numbers is attached.

Bob McGaffic
    Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Re: How to have a contact details table with several telephone numbers and addresses

Thank You Robert. It is a great help. Would I have to use a ID or some sort of field in the sets that would link both the tables?

Comment

Absolutely!

I have attached a zip file of my contact application that should give you a very good start. I hope at some point to add this to the code library when I am finished with it. I need to complete the profiles tab, but you'll get the idea that the functionality surpasses most toy contact applications, Alpha's included.

Hopefully, you'll agree that my approach is getting closer to commercial quality software. Take a look at how I handle company, certainly not like Alpha does in its contact manager. Alpha acknowledges bugs in the use of field specific bitmap buttons which appear only when the field has the focus. For example, click on a postal address and write a letter to that address, click on a phone number and dial the number, etc. However, Alpha says these bugs will not be corrected until version 10.

The learning curve has been a steep one, and I am generally happy with Alpha as a development tool. Right now, I'm debating whether to continue my Alpha effort or give up the ghost and move to SugarCRM. Sugar is the product that Alpha missed the boat to develop several years ago, but the concept is solid: finished applications that are easily customizable -- and the fact that a non-trivial version is available for download free, doesn't hurt!

My debate arises because I want my application to do a lot more than just contact management, so I'll still thinking through whether to proceed with Alpha now that I've got the hang of it or to explore extending SugarCRM.
        I was able to purchase three books on Amazon.com which provide its full data model, etc.

However, Sugar doesn't model its database using best practices. For example, it creates separate fields on the contact record for home, mobile, work, other, etc. phone numbers, which is not what you and I are trying to do. (Mark Bain, SugarCRM developer's manual, PACKT publishing).

Speaking of references, you might want to check your library or Amazon for The Data Model Resource Book, Vol. 1: A Library of Universal Data Models for All Enterprises by Len Silverston-- and chapter 2: People and Organizations in particular.

In the attached screenprint, you'll see what happens when I click on the phone number field; the bitmap image to click on to dial the phone number (Google chrome icon) appears to the left of the wrong field -- nickname.
        So I added another temporary button for DIAL just to show you what you are getting into with Alpha. Despite all the care and attention you may give to your form design, Alpha will constantly mar the appearance of your application because of its developer sloppiness. I ask you, how much effort would it have taken them to left align the type-in field with the label and checkbox in the screenprint?

Bob McGaffic
        Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Hi Robert, Thanks a lot. You have a beautiful application going. Do you think Alpha is difficult to work in? I have bought the program to write an application for my business. Contact management is part of it but I am a debt counsellor and there are not many good programs available to do the necessary calculations so I decided to try Alpha since I read on the internet that it is one of the good programs available.

I also have another question. Stan answered the question but I am still a little bit in the dark. I am currently creating a database table and the problem is that I want to use the first 3 letters of the surname of a person and if there are 2 surnames that is the same that it numbers itself with the 3 letters and an added number 2 etc. Furthermore I will have several files for one person and will have a separate table for that. In the end I will need the numbers to look like this:
          Surname: Flemming
          FLE1/0001, FLE1/0002, FLE1/0003

Person 2 Surname: Flemming
          FLE2/0001, FLE2/0002; FLE2/0003

Stan gave me an answer and said that I should not use an auto increment field rule. Here is the link to the answer of Stan. http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...=concatenation . I hope you can help me with this as well since I am very new to Alpha and need to at least get my feet of the ground.

Thank you for all your help so far.
          Last edited by Dolphin; 06-29-2009, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Stan gave me an answer and said that I should not use an auto increment field rule.
            Not quite. I said you couldn't use the Alpha autoincrement field rule because that's not the the way it works.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Stan sorry, I am not trying to be funny. This is all very new to me and I don't understand all the new names and I will try the example you gave me. I am trying to understand how these things work that I can actually make it work without messing up my data.

Comment

You may have to go with two fields to accomplish what you want.

Consider..

Begin first record with surname Flemming
                You want to create a field value for this record FLE1/0001
                The /0001 is based on the count of values FLE1 in the table, but that value doesn't exist until the record is saved.
                There can be only one.

Comment

David,

I think you are going down the wrong road. The easiest to work with keys are autoincrement character.

Let Alpha Five do the heavy lifting to find the records of interest. There's no need for the kind of intelligence in the record key that you are attempting.

The reason why I sent you my zipped application was to also show you there is no need to resort to complex schemes. But a lot of the techniques to make this work with Alpha Five were learned unfortunately not from the documentation, but from a collective swell group of guys who helped me master some of Alpha's subtleties--name members of this forum.

Take a look my application for the contact's File As field. Please note that sometimes I may want to look up a contact on the basis of Lastname + Firstname, but I would never even consider building table keys with such concatenations.

In short, don't do it.

Bob McGaffic
                  Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

David,

I think you are going down the wrong road. The easiest to work with keys are autoincrement character.

Let Alpha Five do the heavy lifting to find the records of interest. There's no need for the kind of intelligence in the record key that you are attempting.

The reason why I sent you my zipped application was to also show you there is no need to resort to complex schemes. But a lot of the techniques to make this work with Alpha Five were learned unfortunately not from the documentation, but from a collective swell group of guys who helped me master some of Alpha's subtleties--namely members of this forum.

Take a look my application for the contact's File As field. Please note that sometimes I may want to look up a contact on the basis of Lastname + Firstname, but I would never even consider building table keys with such concatenations.

In short, don't do it.

Bob McGaffic
                    Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Thank You. I will take what both of you said in consideration and change my thinking on this a bit.

Comment

Hello Bob,

I'm a newbie to AlphaFive. Currently looking at v10 for future use. One of our intended uses for Alpha is a contact manager. I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded your MyApplication.zip for a look after finding this thread in the Forum. It looks much better than the Alpha examples I have seen so far. My queries are:
                        1. Have you updated this to v10 or, 2. how difficult will it be for me to do this?
                        My thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
                        Ron S

Comment

The easiest to work with keys are autoincrement character.
                          This has been crossed many times and I disagree. Numeric is easiest for me as it seems to have less problems after about 20000 or so records. Also, it is easier to take it to sql if you ever decide to. There is no work involved in adding O's to the front. Been on numeric since version 3.

My users NEVER see the incremented field. It is not for their use, so why confuse them.

This is said with all due respect.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hello Mr. WebCommerce,

Yes, I have updated to Alpha Five V10. The update was painless and you should have no problems with it.

If you are really interested in do a contact manager correctly, you may want to check this out:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Acce...5304079&sr=1-1

It may save you from reinventing the wheel.

I found that I could not easily accomplish what I wanted to do in A5V10 with an activeX control (hierarchical grid outlining) using XBasic, and so have reverted back to MS Access 2010 with Visual Basic and its working like a charm.

I'd be happy to send you a video link if you wish. This capability (recurisive hierarchies with drag and drop) was going to be very painful to implement with A5V10. I don't have Selwyn level programming skills.
                            Bob McGaffic

Comment

Hi Bob, thank you for the comments. Yes I would appreciate it if you can send me the video link.

Comment

Working...
                              X