Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Desktop version-Inline frame???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop version-Inline frame???

To All:
    is there a way to have all forms to open in an in-line frame on the main form, much like the web app.

The forms would show where the buttons are now on the JPG.

I have to many forms to show and hide forms.

That way you could keep the left menu showing and still see all of the forms.

thanks
    Carlie crimmel

Re: Desktop version-Inline frame???

Charlie (or is is Carlie now? :) ),
    Are you saying you want to get rid of your buttons on the Main Menu and have each form open where they were....or to open on top of the existing buttons....or to open in a specific area apart from the buttons???
    Mike

Comment

Mike,

Not to put words in Charlie's mouth, but I think what he wants to do is click on the tree menu at the left of his form and see the selected form or report in the area where his buttons appear.

This is a very common requirement. I sure would appreciate an Alpha expert's opinion on this, but I have a couple of observations:

1. Because the menu tree shows all of Charlie's forms and reports, would the Alpha form's set have to include all tables in his application?

This is obviously impractical. For the life of me, I can't understand Alpha's thinking on this one. I think they really painted us into a corner.

I did what I think Charlie wants in 5 minutes using Microsoft Access as shown below. I know Alpha's capabilities are awesome, but come on, why can't we do something as simple as this:

Code:
      a.  Create a form frmMenu with an unbound subform.

b.  Create frmTestA, frmTestB, frmTestC all based on different
          tables

c.  Create a "menu" at the form's left using buttons for 
          FormA
          FormB
          Form C

d.  Place this code behind each button, shown here for FormA
          Private Sub FormA_Click()
             Me.ChildForm.SourceObject = "frmTestA"
             Me.Refresh
          End Sub

e.  Execute the form -- Note that the form remains the same, 
          only the subform changes.  Note there is no clutter of 
          dialog forms jumping up all over the place.  

f.  Click on button/menu tree for Form A-- Form A is displayed

g.  Click on button/menu tree for Form B-- Form B is displayed

h.  Click on button/menu tree for Form C-- Form C is displayed
      How do we make something this simple happen for Charlie?

Having said that, let me suggest that Charlie may be barking up the wrong tree on this issue.

I'll explain later; I'm writing this from the library and its closing time. Hint, hint: take a look at Dave's form posted on last week's Interface thread. See any problems if Dave and Charlie were doing a project together?

Bob McGaffic
      Pittsburgh, PA

Comment

Hi Bob,
        Assuming you are correct in guessing exactly what Charlie is wanting, why not use the Form by Expression feature?

Here is an example I gleaned a while back from Peter Greulich...

Mike

Comment

To all:
          Sorry, it took a couple of days for me to get back on this posting.

I have taken out everything except cash disbursements and cash receipts.
          Only those two items will work from the top menu bar, the side tree control or the buttons.(Also, login and exit work)

Start the program
          Login in with my lastname as the password.
          There are two options.
          Version 1 is using a super control on the main menu
          Version 2 uses a script to populate the navbar tree.
          Both versions use the table called category 2 to build the tree and both versions use the same forms.

To go to control panel, select exit and then the control panel option.

Version 1: The tree is hard coded and cannot be moved. The forms are controled from the form properties-Window Top,Bottom,Left,Right(2.6,1.1,8.5 and 6.5). All forms open in the button area of the main menu.

Version 2: To go to Version 2, Logout and then select Version 2.
          Version 2 uses a script to populate the navbar tree and it is docked on the left and can be shown or hidded(With buttons on menu)
          When you open Cash Disbursements or Cash receipts the menus are to far to the right,because of the panel docked on the left.

If I could use an in-line frame so that the menus would always open in the same place, then i would not have to control this with the form properties.
          And both versions would look the same.

Both versions use the same table and forms.I only want the locations to be different on the screen.

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

the cosetup table is missing so the autoexec does not complete. not sure if that will affect the testing
            Tim Kiebert
            Eagle Creek Citrus
            A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

It shouldn't make much difference, but attached is a new zip file

Comment

Mike and Charlie,

Thanks for posting your sample databases.

Here are the problems I see with both:

1. Mike -- you are using conditional forms. But your forms are based on a single table. Yes, this is pretty straightforward.
                Charlie's application is using a lot of unrelated tables.

Can you make this scenario work:

Table A is information about Apples (Scientific name, best recipe use, etc.)

Table B is about Balls (Size, weight, sports specialty, etc.)

Table C is about Castles (Country, City, Year built, condition, etc.)

Each of these tables have a corresponding form as follows:
                Table A has FormA
                Table B has FormB
                Table C has FormC

Can you make this work with Alpha Five with a single form calling the appropriate subform depending on the menu choice? One very nice thing about your example, Mike, is that the forms are displayed as subforms without any of the Windows title bar, etc.

Charlie -- I see what you're doing but it still looks like a struggle to me. I do not like the Windows title bars and your need to use a dialog form and placing it approximately in the right position on the screen.

I played with this issue over a year ago, and even when I changed the window from Dialog to Toolbox, the appearance was still klutzy.

That's why if the appearance of the application is important, I think you best best is the menu on one form (like my first makeover) and the called forms in full screen display not dialog windows. It will look a lot cleaner.

Bob McGaffic
                Pittsburgh, PA
                Last edited by rmcgaffic; 07-12-2009, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                  A different request needed a different approach is all-actually a combination of a couple--I added a conditional object and placed subforms on it...do not think there is a limit to how many conditionals you can have so should work....it would be one big set I am thinking in Charlie's case.

Check out the Master3 form. 3 separate tables with forms based on them---added them to a set with Forms table as parent but only linked on expression as totally unrelated. Although form changes are done with the OnPush of a button it could be done other ways.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                    Hi Bob,
                    A different request needed a different approach is all-actually a combination of a couple--I added a conditional object and placed subforms on it...do not think there is a limit to how many conditionals you can have so should work....it would be one big set I am thinking in Charlie's case.

Check out the Master3 form. 3 separate tables with forms based on them---added them to a set with Forms table as parent but only linked on expression as totally unrelated. Although form changes are done with the OnPush of a button it could be done other ways.

[ATTACH]21602[/ATTACH]
                    Hi MikeC I am trying this with the latest version and my subform is not allowing me to select another table other than the one the main for is bound to.

What am I missing?

Comment

Gena,
                      I am trying this with the latest version and my subform is not allowing me to select another table other than the one the main for is bound to.
                      First, what latest version are you referring to? Version 9 or version 10? And what builds as they will change sometimes on a daily basis......

Not being able to see how you have set up your database, I cannot but guess as to what the problem might be.

Are you referring to the sample I gave or something that you have created?

If your creation then....
                      Do you have a set of the tables in question?
                      If so, how did you link them?
                      Are you using the conditional as I did or a tabbed form or a...

Many other questions likely.

A sample would eliminate most.

The more information one can give the easier and more specific a response/solution can be---and the best way to give the most information is to provide a sample that illustrates the problem! :)
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X