Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5V9 Index Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A5V9 Index Challenge

I agree. Personally, I don't know why anyone would always want the browse index to revert back to the record number order. In this case, they should have a box to check to make that happen.

I read here where people are always editing the autoexec file to do different things and thought that might be an option. I also thought that maybe when it asked for the name of the new browse, you could specify the A5 default browse but I don't know what it's name is.

I submitted a bug report and will post back what happens.
    Last edited by robert; 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Maybe this will be of use.

Code:
      A5_OPEN_DEFAULT_BROWSE( Table_Set_Name as C [, Filter as C [, Order as C [, Description as C [, Options as C [, Show_All as L ]]]]] )
      or the older

Code:
      Browse.view("default browse for [COLOR="red"]table/set_name[/COLOR]@[COLOR="Red"]table/set_name[/COLOR].dbf")
      There can be only one.

Comment

The first looks like something in the A5 browse editor file. I actually tried to edit that file to set the last run query but it didn't work. Not surprised since I didn't really know what code to use.

How would I use your suggestions? Would I have to do that for every table in all the databases I have?

Comment

I also thought that maybe when it asked for the name of the new browse, you could specify the A5 default browse but I don't know what it's name is.
          Not sure what you wanted or what it is.

Its name is default browse for table/set_name@table/set_name.dbf/.set
          There can be only one.

Comment

After you go into the browse layout properties and check the box to use the last run query and then try to close the browse, A5 (it) asks for the name of the new browse.

Thanks for the name, however I don't want to do that for every table in every database that I have. If the folks at Alpha can't fix it in v9, I'll just stick with V8. I may be "cutting off my nose to spite my face" but I didn't create this problem by messing with success. They did. I'll never understand why software companies do this kind of stuff. It's not an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
              I'll never understand why software companies do this kind of stuff. It's not an improvement.
              To all fairness to Alpha, they did a lot of work on browses for version 9 and very possibly broke the feature that you are relying on. Version 9 has been out for some time and I do not remember reading anything about this problem until you brought it up suggesting it is not a feature used by many people. I do hope that you can get the bug fixed in version 9 but being so close to version 10's release I am not sure about that.
              Jeff Ryder

Comment

Since I started this thread, I have tried the suggestions with no desirable result. Yes I can lock into the last index via the box in Properties, but then I do not have the necessary ability to change to other indexs while working within that Browse. We have 5 different indexs applicable for various record views and reports, and need to change from one sort order to another in the browse frequently, with out having to reset from Record Order every time. We have used the indexs to do this in every version as we updated through from Alpha 4 to A5V8. Surely that flexibility still exists in V9??

Comment

I don't have that problem in the new browse that one has to create if you don't want to just change the index in the default browse. In the new browse, everything behaves just as in V8 and before. If I'm going to use V9 (and I don't think I will), I'll just set the index whenever I open the default browse. BTW, here's the response from Mr. Rabins to my bug report-

"yes - v9 adds new features that v8 does not know about.

unfortunately, we have to disagree on whether automatically
                  remembering the last run query automatically is a good thing of a bad thing.
                  we made the decision that it was confusing to users and so we have removed it.
                  the only way to get that behavior is by creating a custom browse.

it seems unfortunate that this one issue overshadows all of the
                  wonderful enhancements in v9 for you."

In a reply to Mr. Rabins response, I asked if there wasn't some simple code that could be added to the browse editor or the autoexec file to fix this even if a patch isn't issued.

I would love for someone else to submit it to Alpha so they realize that I'm not the only one that has a problem. I'm still truly amazed this hasn't caused problems for a whole host of other people.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of script that could be written to set the check box and save as the A5 default browse for a table. Something that could be copied from one database to another like a function that could be run from the Interactive Window.

Robert

Comment

I do intend to send a bug report. Way too much work to create all new Brwse tables, and so I still have to reset from Record order to the correct index at each opening. Thru this process I have developed two more issues:
                    1) I have one Brwse table that has become absolutely locked into 1 index after unchecking every box I can find, the Index Icon is still grayed out and non-responsive.
                    2) My primary database is Ordmain. When I try to pack the table I get a message "Could not pack or rebuild Index's for C:\cdpv5\ordmain.dbf's Dictionary" Perhaps these two issues are related?? Thanks

Comment

Well, now Alpha will have two complaints.

Can you post the problem table with as little data as necessary to demonstrate the problem?

I thought someone would take my challenge concerning writing a script to make this change that we could couple to all databases or write a change to the browse editor. Maybe I'll have to learn how to write code but probably won't because V8 does everything I need.

Comment

Make that three. Even though Alpha might not consider it a "bug", it is different behaviour than all previous versions.

This also affects those of us that create applications for our customers. It means that we cannot simply upgrade them from a previous version, and expect everything to work. Instead, we must alter the app so V9 will work the same as the previous. Since this is not the only issue that has changed in V9, the prospect of upgrading our customers becomes much more than a trivial task.

I wish that whenever Alpha makes a decision like this, they would let us know ahead of time (or, how about asking us in advance??)

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
                          I would love for someone else to submit it to Alpha so they realize that I'm not the only one that has a problem. I'm still truly amazed this hasn't caused problems for a whole host of other people.
                          I think everyone affected by any bug should report it. Sometimes that seems to be the only way to convince them that it IS an issue for many people.

I've had issues with this one and I just got a call from someone else who is having a problem with it. When I got that call, I remembered seeing this post a few days ago.

RE: Selwyn's comment:
                          it seems unfortunate that this one issue overshadows all of the wonderful enhancements in v9 for you.
                          Let's see,
                          - A5 browses have been working one way for over a decade
                          - everyone (or at least a whole lot of people) have set up their apps based on it working this way
                          - now they want to change the way browses work without even telling us? (If they did tell us, it's hard to find.)

AND, they expect us to consider it a minor thing when we have to take the time to search all of our existing apps for this issue fix them? (No, it wasn't actually called "minor" but that is certainly implied.)

I disagree. This is not a minor thing. Things like this waste a LOT of OUR time. When you total up all the A5 CUSTOMER TIME (developer time) wasted fixing things because of a change like this, it's probably far less than the ALPHA SOFTWARE TIME that would have been required to at least give us the option of making it behave the way it used to.

This is one of many things that have been more or less arbitrarily changed either because one developer suggested it or someone at Alpha thought it would be a good idea and nobody bothered to survey the rest of us to find out what kind of problems the change would create. (Or, perhaps, Alpha made some other change and found that it would require more of their time to support the old method and didn't want to take that time.)

Oh, and the suggestion to use a custom browse is over-simplistic in my opinion. I suspect that, whatever Selwyn meant, most people would just assume this means a browse with a specified filter/order. That works well if you only want one filter/order but it would get ridiculous if you had a lot of optional filter/orders the user might apply. Again it's only my opinion but I don't think that's real world - at least it's not my real world.

Suggestion: I tried this - one test on one browse - and it seems to work. Save the current filter to a text file with the OnExit event then read and set the filter from the OnInit event the next time it opens.

OnExit:
                          Code:
                          save_to_file( current_filter_expn()+crlf()+current_order_expn(), a5.get_path() + "\browse_filter.txt" )
                          OnInit:
                          Code:
                          IF file.exists( a5.get_path() + "\browse_filter.txt" )
                           fo_text = get_from_file( a5.get_path() + "\browse_filter.txt" )
                           filter = word( fo_text, 1, crlf() )
                           order = word( fo_text, 2, crlf() )
                           this.queryrun( filter, order )
                          END IF

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                            I think everyone affected by any bug should report it. Sometimes that seems to be the only way to convince them that it IS an issue for many people.

I've had issues with this one and I just got a call from someone else who is having a problem with it. When I got that call, I remembered seeing this post a few days ago.

RE: Selwyn's comment:

Let's see,
                            - A5 browses have been working one way for over a decade
                            - everyone (or at least a whole lot of people) have set up their apps based on it working this way
                            - now they want to change the way browses work without even telling us? (If they did tell us, it's hard to find.)

AND, they expect us to consider it a minor thing when we have to take the time to search all of our existing apps for this issue fix them? (No, it wasn't actually called "minor" but that is certainly implied.)

I disagree. This is not a minor thing. Things like this waste a LOT of OUR time. When you total up all the A5 CUSTOMER TIME (developer time) wasted fixing things because of a change like this, it's probably far less than the ALPHA SOFTWARE TIME that would have been required to at least give us the option of making it behave the way it used to.

This is one of many things that have been more or less arbitrarily changed either because one developer suggested it or someone at Alpha thought it would be a good idea and nobody bothered to survey the rest of us to find out what kind of problems the change would create. (Or, perhaps, Alpha made some other change and found that it would require more of their time to support the old method and didn't want to take that time.)

Oh, and the suggestion to use a custom browse is over-simplistic in my opinion. I suspect that, whatever Selwyn meant, most people would just assume this means a browse with a specified filter/order. That works well if you only want one filter/order but it would get ridiculous if you had a lot of optional filter/orders the user might apply. Again it's only my opinion but I don't think that's real world - at least it's not my real world.

Suggestion: I tried this - one test on one browse - and it seems to work. Save the current filter to a text file with the OnExit event then read and set the filter from the OnInit event the next time it opens.

OnExit:
                            Code:
                            save_to_file( current_filter_expn()+crlf()+current_order_expn(), a5.get_path() + "\browse_filter.txt" )
                            OnInit:
                            Code:
                            IF file.exists( a5.get_path() + "\browse_filter.txt" )
                             fo_text = get_from_file( a5.get_path() + "\browse_filter.txt" )
                             filter = word( fo_text, 1, crlf() )
                             order = word( fo_text, 2, crlf() )
                             this.queryrun( filter, order )
                            END IF
                            Cal, I see how this would be useful for a custom browse layout, but how do you attach the script to the events in the "default browse" created by Alpha Five?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                              Cal, I see how this would be useful for a custom browse layout, but how do you attach the script to the events in the "default browse" created by Alpha Five?
                              You can't! This is just based on Selwyn's suggestion to use a custom browse.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                                You can't! This is just based on Selwyn's suggestion to use a custom browse.
                                Right. I just sought clarification since robert's issue is with the behavior of the default browse which Alpha creates.

Comment

Working...
                                X