Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

DBF size limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DBF size limits

is there an upper limit to the size of an dbf table, i am generting a new table besed on joined records from two other tables, and when my table is reaching 2.097.161 in size the program, which has been running fine until now, is failing with an error saying that it is trying to move past end of file.

Re: DBF size limits

Database specifications from the help file.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Is that 2MG records or Bytes? We have many, many dbf files well over 2mb in size. see attached.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Henkel View Post
        Is that 2MG records or Bytes? We have many, many dbf files well over 2mb in size. see attached.

Tom
        Tom

What is a MG? I thought it is a car... ;)

I think the limit is 2 GB.

2 MB is a relatively small file..

There is a little confusion from what I've seen... When the bytes of a dbf gets over 2 gb, the file stops accepting new records.

So I suppose you could have a 1 character field in 2,000,000,000 records and you'd be at the limit.....
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Thanks, it is 2GB limit i have reached.

Comment

That happened to me once when I wasn't paying attention to my structure and was just mindlessly appending (this, on a 486-DX2 mind you).

I revisited what I was doing and brought things back into a better-managed file. You might want to consider the same, or describe what you're doing if you need some suggestions.

There are few tables in this world that need to be that big.
            -Steve
            sigpic

Comment

You can also switch to a SQL back-end. I have a 21 GB table in MySQL -- contains approximately 100,000 documents. It's accessed via Alpha and Xbasic.

Comment

Hi can someone enlighten me here ? According to the spec sheet the number of records can be up to 2 billion but the size per record is 19kB so if the limit is 2GB.. Divide the 2Gb by 19kb only yields 109.000 records.. I'm not following here and i think i even saw posts records can go to 3 billion.. What gives ??

Comment

Nothing says you can have 2 billion records and those records can be 19kb each. Those are separate constraints. The file size is 2gb, whether you have 2 billion 1 byte records or 109,000 19 kb records.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Ok... I see it now Thanks Stan Mathews...Is there any way to gauge how many bytes a record consume ?

Comment

One way might be to get the record count of your table and then divide that into the size visible in windows explorer.
                      Another could be to use the .bytes_get() function on the table.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by subroto View Post
                        Divide the 2Gb by 19kb only yields 109.000 records
                        No..
                        It yields 113,025

19K is the max per record. For a smaller size records, the number of the records will be higher..could be in the millions..
                        Question: How can you tell how many KB is a record?
                        Answer: very easy.
                        Right click the table->properties.
                        P.S.
                        That last question I asked not knowing that you already asked the same question.. just figured you might want to know..

Comment

Thank you Gabriel G that's indeed the easiest way... I added a record.. looked at the properties noted the size and subtract that number with the previous size before i added the record and i get 118 byte per record... That's around 17 million records when i hit the 2GB mark I guess it's good enough for my application for now..CMIIW

Comment

Originally posted by subroto View Post
                            looked at the properties noted the size and subtract that number with the previous size before i added the record and i get 118 byte per record..
                            I was going to do that.. the subtraction thing.. when I noticed that alpha tells you at the bottom (in v8, don't know where it would be in other versions) what the record size is. It's all there, so there is no need for any subtractions..

This whole thing got me to thinking..For someone like you and many others who might be pushing the limits of a db, it might be nice to, whenever you get close to your db limit, to issue a warning to the user: You have 10 more records to add, or something like that.. so you don't get in a situation where you get stopped dead in your tracks..
                            So, for example:
                            If your record size is, say, 150
                            Remember, alpha takes a few KB for the table design something like 500 Kb, a 1000 not a whole lot
                            Then you could subtract that little amount from 2 GB
                            Divide the remaining by the record size
                            That gives you the max number of records YOUR db could have
                            When you get close to that number, you start issuing the warning..

Comment

This may be way off base, so disregard if it is not immediatelly helpful.

The only time I've come close to hitting the DBF limit was when I had a corrupted memo file. You might check the file sizes of all the FPT files in your database. Are any approaching 2,000 megabytes? If so, that's almost certainly a sign that the memo file has become corrupted.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                              X