Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

MAPI e-mail problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAPI e-mail problem.

I think something has gone wrong with my computer - not A5. Today I discovered that any attempt to use email_client_external() in A5v7, v8, or v9 will fail with the following message:

MAPI error - ()

Of course, this is when attempting to open my default e-mail program - not A5's internal e-mail.

I know this was working recently. The only thing I can think of that has "changed" is that I temporarily set Mozilla Firefox as my default browser - then set it back to IE a day later.

Any ideas?

BTW - the same happens with email_client_auto()

Re: MAPI e-mail problem.

No ideas. Just confirming that I get the same thing in v9 and I have not changed anything on my XP computer except whatever MS does when it auto updates windows. But I always use Firefox as my default browser and it updates from time to time.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Maybe it is A5?? Someone else contacted me with the same info.

Yet I know this was working in v7 just a few months ago and now it doesn't. Since there haven't been any new updates to v7 I have to assume something changed in Windows!?

Is there any other way to open the user's default e-mail program - preferably with at least the e-mail address included?

Comment

This seems to work:

sys_resolve_url( "mailto:[email protected]?subject=Fred&body=This is some body text." )

Later:

Here's the actual line of code I used. Without the urlencode(), the body text won't work with multiple lines. Obviously you'll have to change a few things for your own situations but perhaps since it's a bit more complete it will help others.

sys_resolve_url( "mailto:" + email_addr + "?subject=" + "Vehicle status - " + trim( tpp.Vehicle_status ) + "&body=" + urlencode( stext ) )
        Last edited by CALocklin; 07-18-2009, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
          I know this was working recently. The only thing I can think of that has "changed" is that I temporarily set Mozilla Firefox as my default browser - then set it back to IE a day later.
          Any ideas?
          email_client_external() uses the DEFAULT email client you choose. When you made IE your default browser, Firefox (and it's email) is no longer the default and evidently alpha can't find any other default email client on your system and hence the error message.

From your Windows Control Panel you could check to find out which email client is set as the default, if any. Set it there and retry email_client_external().

Comment

Actually, changing the browser had no effect on the default e-mail program. That was one of the things I checked when I did it. Both IE and Firefox are set to use Thunderbird. That is also what shows up when setting it from the control panel.

Are you saying you tested it on your system and it works?

I'm thinking something changed with the Windows MAPI routine that affected A5 since everyone else who has reported (2 people!) say it's not working on their system now either.

However, despite the problems with email_client_external() and email_client_auto(), the sys_resolve_url() seems to work perfectly. (Although I haven't tested it with CC, BCC, or Attachments yet.)

Comment

Do you have Office 2000 installed on our system?

Comment

XP

Comment

Well, sys_resolve_url() doesn't quite do the job. It handles everything well enough except attachments. I can't find any way to get attachments to work.

I tried adding:
                  &attach=<filename>
                  &attach="<filename>"
                  and the same with &attachment, &attachments, and &addattachments

I searched the internet and can't find any indication of a way to make this work.

Can anybody confirm that email_client_external() or email_client_auto() IS working on your system?

I'd like to know for sure if this is the result of a Windows update, something in A5, or something different about certain systems that can be fixed. In other words, is there some way I can fix this or do I have to tell my customers that I can no longer add attachments to their default e-mail programs. (Yes, I know I can still send attachments using A5's internal e-mail but most of my customers want to keep using their default program.)

Comment

Can anybody confirm that email_client_external() or email_client_auto() IS working on your system?
                    It is working here using V8 and V9. However, it is loading MS Outlook Express as the default when in reality Thunderbird is my default mail program.
                    Windows XP Pro, updated with the latest patches.
                    Jim Coltz
                    Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
                    A5CustomSolutions.com
                    [email protected]

Comment

Well, sys_resolve_url() doesn't quite do the job. It handles everything well enough except attachments. I can't find any way to get attachments to work.

I tried adding:
                      &attach=<filename>
                      &attach="<filename>"
                      and the same with &attachment, &attachments, and &addattachments

I searched the internet and can't find any indication of a way to make this work.

I'd like to know for sure if this is the result of a Windows update, something in A5, or something different about certain systems that can be fixed. In other words, is there some way I can fix this or do I have to tell my customers that I can no longer add attachments to their default e-mail programs. (Yes, I know I can still send attachments using A5's internal e-mail but most of my customers want to keep using their default program.)
                      Well, no, but I can confirm that it has never worked for me when using Thunderbird with attachemnts, going back at least to v7. You might want to search this board for "MAPI" (and look at http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...highlight=MAPI especially where Arron said he fixed something, though it never worked for me).

Alpha has been informed of this problem numerous times, and the last I heard was that Alpha (probably Arron) was saying it was a Thunderbird problem that they could do nothing about. Somehow I don't believe that given that seems to work with attachments with every other program on the planet, and when Thunderbird has bugs they usually fix them eventually. I believe this is another instance of "whatever it is, it is not worth the time and trouble to deal with it, especially since only a few user have complained" (but behind the complainers are how many others are there?). Like your customers, mine strongly prefer using their default email program, but I have had to use a mix of the default and A5, at my expense and to my customer's chagrin.

If you find a solution to this, please let use know.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Thanks Jim and Ray.

Jim - at least I now know that it seems to work with Outlook.

This thing is now starting to sound familiar. It's very possible that attachments never worked with Thunderbird for me either. I thought it had but after additional research and some time for my memory to dig back in history, I'm thinking you are correct.

This particular app has some users that send attachments and some that don't. It also has some that use the default email and some that use A5's email. And, of course, some customers use Thunderbird, some use Outlook, and some only use things like Yahoo mail. (And it sure is fun trying to explain to them why they can't use Yahoo mail directly from my application!) Add to that the fact that this script hasn't been edited since 2004 and you can see why remembering what does what can be difficult.

I still think the email_client_external() command worked with Thunderbird as long as there were no attachments. And, I'm pretty sure that, at the very least, the command with only a "sendto" argument was at one time able to open Thunderbird and enter the email address. But, I could be wrong.

So, my solution will be either:

Do nothing since it is working for current customers.

- or -

Since I don't know what current customers might change in the future and I don't know what future customers will want to do:

- First, modify 36 places in 11 scripts/functions to add the option of using sys_resolve_url() whenever Thunderbird is the default email and the user is NOT sending "default" attachments. (If they want to attach their own, they can.) This, of course, is no small effort because I will have to convert the various arguments in email_client_external() to a single string to be used in the new command.
                        Then:
                        1. Find out if the user is set up to use the default e-mail.
                        2. Check HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Clients\Mail\(Default) to see if the user is using Thunderbird.
                        3. Check to see if the user is sending "default" attachments (photos) to any of his/her customers.
                        4. Warn user if 1, 2, and 3 are all true - tell them they will have to change to the "internal email" method or switch to Outlook.

Man, I sure look forward to spending all that time on this. Especially since I will be able to charge $0.00/hr for it! At least we can say that Alpha made a real attempt to fix this and it seems to be a Mozilla issue.
                        Last edited by CALocklin; 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Apparently Mozilla has changed something. I found this warning message in a seldom used script:

Some versions of others, like Netscape and Mozilla, do not properly read the e-mail address so the complete e-mail message with address and subject has been saved to the clipboard - this will allow you to simply paste the message into your e-mail then cut-and-paste into the Send-to and Subject as necessary.
                          If you have something besides Thunderbird for your email (Outlook, Opera, etc.), I'd appreciate it if you would copy and paste the following into your Interactive Window and hit Enter - it should open your email program with an email to me that tells me what email program you are using and has a few HTML formatting commands and links to see if they will work. I'll post the results.

This should be all on one line:
                          Code:
                          sys_resolve_url( "[EMAIL="[email protected]?Subject=Email"]mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Email[/EMAIL] Test&body=This%20was%20emailed%20from%20" + registry.sys_get( "HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Clients\Mail" ) + "%3Cbr%3EThis%20%3Ci%3Eis%3C%2Fi%3E%20%3Cb%3Esome%3C%2Fb%3E%20multi%3Cbr%3Eline%0D%0Abody%20text%20and%20a%20%3Cbr%3E%3Ca%20href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaimsdc%2Enet%2Fastrum%5Fshortcut%5Fdef%2Epng%22%3Elink%3C%2Fa%3E%3Cbr%3Eand%20an%20email%20link%3A%20%3Ca%20href%3D%22mailto%3ACALocklin%40chartermi%2Enet%22%3Eemail%20me%3C%2Fa%3E")
                          Hmmm, it might be good to leave a note here about what e-mail program you used so others don't need to waste the time.

Comment

Hi Cal,
                            I get an "Out of memory" error. I use Outlook Express on this PC.
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                              Hi Cal,
                              I get an "Out of memory" error. I use Outlook Express on this PC.
                              Oh, great! That worked perfectly in Thunderbird. I hate to bug you with this but how about something simple without all the HTML stuff:
                              Code:
                              sys_resolve_url( "[EMAIL="[email protected]?Subject=Email"]mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Email[/EMAIL] Test&body=" + urlencode( "This was emailed from " + registry.sys_get( "HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Clients\Mail" )))
                              Or, another thought is that the e-mail type name was not encoded in my original. This will fully encoded the body text:
                              Code:
                              sys_resolve_url( "[EMAIL="[email protected]?Subject=Email"]mailto:[email protected]?Subject=Email[/EMAIL] Test&body=" + urlencode("This was emailed from " + registry.sys_get( "HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Clients\Mail" ) + "<br>This <i>is</i> <b>some</b> multi<br>line" + crlf() + "body text and a <br><a href=\"<A href="http://www.aimsdc.net/astrum_shortcut_def.png\">link</a><br>and">http://www.aimsdc.net/astrum_shortcut_def.png\">link</a><br>and an email link: <a href\"<A href="mailto:[email protected]\">email">mailto:[email protected]\">email me</a>"))
                              If neither of these works, I guess I'll have to stick with sys_resolve_url() for Thunderbird and email_client_external() for Outlook. Trying to set up a generic app for e-mail is getting really painful!

Comment

Working...
                              X