Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Totals Inconsistent on Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totals Inconsistent on Report

I Have a very complex report - I have attached the files and its the only report in the database. I Set it up so when you run it, it runs just one project - The subtotals for the PO Lines for each category don't always add up correctly. I have tried every scenario in changing my codes and even started from Scratch. It works on most of them, but around page 5 or 6 they start to be all wrong - this is for the Purchase Information on the right side of the report - this report only prints to 11x17 paper (if your printer can handle that size)- so you may have to change the setting so you can view on the screen.

Re: Totals Inconsistent on Report

Leah,

i think you forgot to state the username and password to open your database attachment.

:)

Originally posted by Leah View Post
    I Have a very complex report - I have attached the files and its the only report in the database. I Set it up so when you run it, it runs just one project - The subtotals for the PO Lines for each category don't always add up correctly. I have tried every scenario in changing my codes and even started from Scratch. It works on most of them, but around page 5 or 6 they start to be all wrong - this is for the Purchase Information on the right side of the report - this report only prints to 11x17 paper (if your printer can handle that size)- so you may have to change the setting so you can view on the screen.
    Francis

Comment

Try writing all the calc field expressions without nesting previously defined calc field expressions.

Comment

Sorry - thought I took the password off - its 19bart59

Comment

This Total does not have embedded Calculated Fields -

Comment

This Total does not have embedded Calculated Fields -
            Which specific calc field does "This Total" reference?

And ... even more importantly ... which specific values are wrong on this report, and what should they actually be?

This is a very complex report. You are familiar with it. How about spelling out the details so that others can begin to learn how it works, too?
            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 07-31-2009, 10:54 AM.

Comment

This report totals all the PO info for each Budget Item. Its on the Right side of the report. If you look at the first page Line1 F 1 - there are 2 line items and it totals correctly - but when you look at Page 6 - 2 A 3 - it totals correctly, but then you go to 2 A 6 - (starts on page 4 end on page 5) and it should be 19566.28 and is showing 17889.58 - It would be easier to figure out if the difference I could pinpoint to something - but I can't - then it seems from that point forward the totals are incorrect.- again with no specific reason why

Comment

This report totals all the PO info for each Budget Item. Its on the Right side of the report. If you look at the first page Line1 F 1 - there are 2 line items and it totals correctly - but when you look at Page 6 - 2 A 3 - it totals correctly, but then you go to 2 A 6 - (starts on page 4 end on page 5) and it should be 19566.28 and is showing 17889.58 - It would be easier to figure out if the difference I could pinpoint to something - but I can't - then it seems from that point forward the totals are incorrect.- again with no specific reason why
                Well, that's some of the information needed. How about the specific calc field names?

Comment

The one that is giving me the problem is : CALC->tot_po_lines_Po_line_total_for_Budget_line_no - And I have tried every combination of the groups -

Comment

The one that is giving me the problem is : CALC->tot_po_lines_Po_line_total_for_Budget_line_no - And I have tried every combination of the groups -
                    I don't understand your grouping structures. Especially, 'Budget_fulllineno'.

Please explain the grouping definitions from top to bottom (first to last), describing how the records will be grouped and what table & field is used in each group break definition. e.g. at the moment I can't find the field that's used to define the group break for the 'budget_fulllineno' group, and I'm wondering if that group is necessary. I would think you would want to use the group footer for the 'PO Line' group to generate the total of a field in the PO_Lines table. What purpose does the Budget_fulllineno group serve?

Comment

Leah

Your group SubCat is sorting on one value and breaking on another expression.

Watch the length of the overall sort also. That 240 character limit was worked on, but I haven't proven that there is something yet in the length of the sorting string isn't still effecting the sorting/totaling results...

Did you copy some of the calc fields from one footer to another? I'm seeing some total() that has suspect grouping.. (ie the 3rd argument in the function)
                      Does this structure come from QB?
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al- The SubCat Group is not the one causing the issue. And the fields aren't even close to the 240 limit. My break on this group is just parsing the field into its parts and my sorting uses the same field. It is possible my Grouping on the total() is wrong - I have played with every combination to try and make it work.

Here is the breakdown of the Groups:
                        The Groups:
                        This report is based on our Budgets with the PO Information for purchases made against the Budget Item. The Budget Category consists of 3 fields � Budget Line NO, (Main Category- Always Numeric)Budget_line_sub_no(Sub Category- Entered as A or maybe A.1), Budget_Fullineno(Calc field that combines the two as Example 1.A.1)

The report Group Budget_Line_no is the main group and based on the same field - Usually no PO info except default stuff
                        Group SubCat is actually the next Category- as I explained above it gets me my first break in the Category - i.e. the A in 1.A.a, Group Budget_Fulllineno is the Budget_Line_sub_no that is calculated in the description and if its Say A.0 it will skip it because the A was the SubCat, if it�s A.1 it will only show the 1. The PO Line - which each line of the PO is assigned a Budget Line item that is linked to the Budget(1-many) is the PO Information for that Group Budget_Fulllineno

The main idea of this is to keep track of what we have issued PO�s for against each Budget item � and be able to see the detail of them, as well as see how much for that line item we have spent, and balance.

Hope this makes sense � It took a lot to get this to work correctly to this point � now if the totals would just work correctly it would make my day.

Comment

I just tried one thing and it seemed to help the one total - I have been fighting with, but creates another problem - which hopefully is easier to figure out (I think this is why I created a Group on PO Line_NO) - now my Receipt Total doesn't calculate correctly -

I was trying to put the Total of a Line Item for the PO that had been received to Date - since it could come in at different times, there could be multiple receipt records for each PO _line and hence the Total - any suggestions on making this work by moving this whole thing to Detail??

After looking at these calculated fields so long, my brain doesn't seem to be thinking clearly

Comment

Leah, if I understand you correctly, the records in your Budget_Fulllineno group are not necessarily a sub-set of the records previously grouped by SubCat. Right? That would explain the problem. As you nest these grouping levels each succeeding group break must be a self-contained sub-set of the previous groups collection of records.

Comment

Leah

Simplify - divide - conquer

Break this into smaller pieces that work and then combine.
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD
                              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Working...
                              X