Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email Locks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Locks up

Is anyone else having problems with sending a report via email? I've created buttons via action swcripting on various forms and every one ends the same. Click the button and the entire app locks up. I can close out the app but the lockup remains in memory cause as soon as I try to work with the app, no matter what I do, the app locks up again.

The only way to erase the memory is to reboot the computer. The app works fine until I press the send an email button.

I've tried all kinds of things over the last 2 days but can't find the cause. Perhaps a few of you could create a button with action script to email a report and see if it works.

My system is a Vista Home Premium, 64 bit.

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Re: Email Locks up

Kenn,

I have just tried what you suggested and it worked without any problem. I have Vista Business Edition. I have selected default mail which is Lotus Notes and have not configured the built-in email tool.

What settings have you used for email? (View - Settings - System -Email).

Al
    Alasdair MacTaggart
    Glasgow
    UK

Comment

Originally posted by Al_MacT View Post
      Kenn,

I have just tried what you suggested and it worked without any problem. I have Vista Business Edition. I have selected default mail which is Lotus Notes and have not configured the built-in email tool.

What settings have you used for email? (View - Settings - System -Email).

Al
      I have 2 profiles set up in View Settings. Everything there is pretty straight forward. One is set for MS Outlook on my work notebook and the other for my personal workbook.

While in form view, clicking Tools->Email, the email template comes up and that may work. Unfortunately I tried to print/save a report to File but that locks up as well.

I don't know how A5 interacts with Vista or if/where they are files/settings to change, etc. I've tried creating a button on a blank form but it locks up the system as well. When I reinstalled A5v9, I uninstalled it first but the uninstall does not remove all files in the registry. To get a clean reinstall, I need to know which files and their location to remove all references to A5. Anyone know where the files are located in the registry?

Thanks,

kenn
      Last edited by forskare; 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,

I am using an e-mail button in a small app and that works fine.
        I use it to send a PDF and to attach product photos.

Have been trying this with outlook and that works fine, but today I found out that using the e-mail on an end user computer with multiple profiles under outlook causes problems.

I don't care much which system is used to send the e-mail as long as it gets the job done. As a work around I selected the A5 mail client. Also I use a pop3 acount and some configuration needs to be done first of all in the action scripting; very likely the problem can be found there, otherwise the e-mail client should start.
        Can you access the task manager and kill A5 instance(s) instead of reboot?

If you like we could compare and check settings?

Regards,
        Jo Hulsen
        Dommel Valley Solutions
        The Netherlands

Comment

Ken,

I have now tested on a slow Vista Business laptop with both the internal client and the default client which is Outlook, both test went fine.

The e-mail function I use in action scripting is from the category Reports and the action is Send a layout via E-mail.

Perhaps you might have a different function?

Regards,
          Jo Hulsen
          Dommel Valley Solutions
          The Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by DVSOL005 View Post
            Ken,

I am using an e-mail button in a small app and that works fine.
            I use it to send a PDF and to attach product photos.

Have been trying this with outlook and that works fine, but today I found out that using the e-mail on an end user computer with multiple profiles under outlook causes problems.

I don't care much which system is used to send the e-mail as long as it gets the job done. As a work around I selected the A5 mail client. Also I use a pop3 acount and some configuration needs to be done first of all in the action scripting; very likely the problem can be found there, otherwise the e-mail client should start.
            Can you access the task manager and kill A5 instance(s) instead of reboot?

If you like we could compare and check settings?

Regards,
            I use either the task manager or clicking the big red X twice gets me out of A5. Unless I reboot, when I open A5, pressing on any menu item will lock it up or 3-4 clicks in design or view will lock it up.

I created a single table database with 1 record and 1 form. While I was creating a report, A5 frose as if it were on an iceberg. I also used Cclean but that didn't change anything. My next thought is to remove all aspects of A5v9 including files in the registry. I also have the v9 app server and v9rt installed so I'll remove those as well and reinstall v9.

kenn
            Last edited by forskare; 08-12-2009, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DVSOL005 View Post
              Ken,

I have now tested on a slow Vista Business laptop with both the internal client and the default client which is Outlook, both test went fine.

The e-mail function I use in action scripting is from the category Reports and the action is Send a layout via E-mail.

Perhaps you might have a different function?

Regards,
              I set up a profile with settings and also created a button with nothing more than the default settings or the lack there of, very bare bones. Still locks up. This is what I think of my opportunity to learn a new trick. :p

kenn

Comment

I may be closer. I uninstalled A5v9, A5v9RT and the A5v9 App Server and then deleted a ton of stuff in the registry. Upon reinstalling v9, the installation hung up while installing the code libraries. After the installation was completed, I opoened the app and pressed the button I created for the Email. A window popped up and the dialof title was "Printing". AAbout 5 seconds later another dialog popped up saying Alpha could not find the printer.

OK, what in the world does the printer have to do with sending an email. Were the dialog texts programed wrong? Or, is there something amiss with A5? Something that when used on my computrer trips the circut breaker?

I downloaded the latest A5v9 file from Alpha's web site so the install was done with the latese v9 .exe file.

Now What???

kenn

Comment

Ken,

Are you able to create other pdf? Sounds like this may be related to the Amyuni print driver that creates the pdf report. I seem to remember that there are issues with Amyuni its use with 64 bit machines. I don't remember how this was resolved.

With a quick search I was not able to find the links, but perhaps it is too late at night and someone else can help with the links or you will have better luck with a search of the board.

John

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                    I may be closer. I uninstalled A5v9, A5v9RT and the A5v9 App Server and then deleted a ton of stuff in the registry. Upon reinstalling v9, the installation hung up while installing the code libraries. After the installation was completed, I opoened the app and pressed the button I created for the Email. A window popped up and the dialof title was "Printing". AAbout 5 seconds later another dialog popped up saying Alpha could not find the printer.

OK, what in the world does the printer have to do with sending an email. Were the dialog texts programed wrong? Or, is there something amiss with A5? Something that when used on my computrer trips the circut breaker?

I downloaded the latest A5v9 file from Alpha's web site so the install was done with the latese v9 .exe file.

Now What???

kenn
                    Ken,

The dialog is correct, at that stage a print to a pdf printer is produced and the next step is that the mail client will be opened.

John has pointed you in the right direction, must have something to do with the Alpha Five printer (Amyuni).
                    Do you happen to have another PC available so that you can test and compare? You just need Alpha Five V9 to test. I guess you are aware that you are allowed to have two installations under one license.

Best of luck,
                    Jo Hulsen
                    Dommel Valley Solutions
                    The Netherlands

Comment

Now with a little more sleep check this thread http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...t=print+driver

Jeff Kletrovets writes

Hi All

Here is a solution I just found on the Amyuni Forum and IT WORKED!!!!! I can now print to PDF files using Alpha5 Version 9 on my Vista 64 Bit machine.

I modified it slightly to pertain to Alpha from what was on their forum.

1) Make sure that you are logged in as a user with administrator rights.
                      2) Select Control Panel, and click Printers.
                      3) Right-click the Alpha Five Printer icon
                      4) Select the Ports tab, then click the Add Port... button.
                      5) Select Local Port and click the New Port... button.
                      6) Enter NUL: for the new port name and click OK. Close the Printer Ports window.
                      7) Ensure that the NUL: port is selected in the Ports list.
                      8) Select the Advanced tab.
                      9) Select the Spool print documents radio button to make the options below it clickable.
                      10) Clear (uncheck) the box labeled Enable advanced printing features.
                      11) Select the Print directly to printer radio button again.
                      12) Click the Apply button, and then click OK.

Comment

Thank you Jo and John,

I followed your instructions and got it working on my notebook but I still ge the printer error 41 on my work notebook. I checked the printer properties and our MIS did get things changed there. I need to take a closer look at it. Maybe they missed something?

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Ken, no ideas on the printer/e-mail issue but I might be able to save you some time re shutting down and re-booting the computer in cases like this.

Press Ctl-Alt-Del to get the Task Manager and then select the Processes tab - NOT the Applications tab. I've seen cases where no A5 applications show on the Applications tab but as many as five Alpha5.exe processes were running.

WARNING - Some users don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that there is a difference between the Applications tab and the Processes tab. Maybe they just don't know what a 'tab' is. I had one guy who kept insisting there were no Alpha processes running but I was pretty sure there were. I finally got smart and asked him how many icons there were in the Task Manager and what color they were. As soon as he started telling my the color of the first one I told him, "Stop! There are NO icons in the processes tab. You are still looking at the Applications tab. Look just above the top of the list of applications and find the tabs that say Application, Processes, Performance, Network, and Users then click on the Processes tab." He finally got it! He deleted the Alpha5.exe processes that were running and everything started working again.

Comment

Your suggestion works well, it helps me a lot and it is very convenient that it makes my work easier.

Comment

Hi Cal,

Thanks for the tip. Never gave it a thought that A5 would still have a few processes running but I guess it like uninstalling A5, not all files are removed so one never gets a 'clean' uninstall.

kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X