Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V9 Update - What do other Alpha users think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V9 Update - What do other Alpha users think?

Well it has been five months since V9 has had an update. What exactly is happening. They have a version with a new browse, a version with old browse and a version that will let you use a particular active x. Maybe there are others that I'm not aware of but I find this whole scenario ridiculous.

Maybe Alpha have now decided that a version is only supported for 12 months? It would appear so but the most frustrating thing is that Alpha is just ignoring this issue rather than take the bull by the horns and let us know what is happening. I suspect this is because many would be appalled by a decision not to fix the bugs in the current version (9). Will V10 follow the same path? Lots of new features with the potential of many new bugs to be introduced. A year from now will we be complaining that V11 is to be released while V10 is still buggy?

The question I have is what other Alpha users think. Do you think it is acceptable to just ditch the current version knowing there are problems with it?

Is it okay to tell users to buy V10 if you want the bug fixes? They haven't made this statement as far as I'm aware but how would you feel if they did.

Just wanted to find out if others feel a little disappointed about the lack of bug support over the last five months?

Re: V9 Update - What do other Alpha users think?

Geoff,
    lack of bug support over the last five months?
    this point is why I am waiting to form opinions on your questions...I do not know if this is a true statement or not as Alpha may very well have fixed most bugs since March and could still abide by what they have said and give us a last patch.
    Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

I hear what your saying but my point is they have not supported it over the last five months. What are your thoughts about not receiving fixes for the last five months?

What they do in a month or more from now does not change the fact that they have not supported V9 with updates since March. Personally I find the current situation unacceptable. We all know they can provide fixes very quickly if they put the resources to it but I get the impression that V9 has been put aside as faulty and not worth the effort. What's more annoying is they are still selling it in the knowledge they have not provided fixes for problems for over six months.

I find this worrying and wonder if others feel the same way.

Comment

Have to agree with you on this.

These are the release notes for the last v9 patch:

Build 2095-3264 10-Mar-2009

New Browse - You can download the 'test' version (which includes the new Browse code) by clicking on the appropriate link.

IMPORTANT: If you have not tested your applications with the new Browse, we recommend that you do so as soon as possible as we will soon make this the new browse code the official release.

---

Soon as in when?

Comment

I think they still update and fix bugs.. but you have to request for them to be fixed.. this is what build i have (see screenshot)
          Last edited by audrummer15; 08-24-2009, 04:02 PM. Reason: image edited

Comment

Adam,

That may be the one you have, but it is not the one I have and I can't download the one you have from the download site.

Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by audrummer15 View Post
              I think they still update and fix bugs.. but you have to request for them to be fixed.. this is what build i have (see screenshot)
              You are showing the V10 BETA build numbers, not the current V9 Build
              Bill Griffin
              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Thanks for taking the image down.. my bad.. lol but anyways I just updated to v10 beta after the conference, but I had a much higher build than the one you say was the last update, because I got 2 updates in the past month or so before i switched to v10.. You just have to e-mail someone stating your problem, the updates seem more personalized than mass updates.. I don't know why but thats the way it seems.

Comment

Adam;
                  The same here. That's what I was given (3335) for fixes to browse (V9) problems (plus several others) I've copied them to A5(and the runtime) and all seems to function like a "regular fix". Though there are still issues/problems that have not been
                  resolved. A couple of bug-send-ins ago I received the reply "we should fix this as it will be in the V10 browse." So, I don't think there will be any more work done to V9, unless it applies to V10, and can be downloaded from the directory you have, Which apparently has not been made public based on the post from DaveM.
                  Geoff;
                  Not happy, but I can honestly say that since I started using A5 (V8) the browse, at last/least, "appears" to have the bugs worked out of it. (At least with what I'm doing.) V10 does not appear to have any features that make it a must have for our desktop work. That plus I really really do not want to spend any more hours stripping down a particular segement and dupilcating bugs. I asked "customer service" about a last release for V9 before making additional V9 purchases and got the reply, "that's up to dev, sometimes they put out a patch after the new version has been released." Was there one for V8 since V9 came out. ?
                  (or any previous version. ?) Not a snide question...has there ever been. ?

Comment

Originally posted by audrummer15 View Post
                    ...just updated to v10 beta after the conference...
                    Did V9 and the new browse come up at the conference?

Comment

Originally posted by milesjg View Post
                      Was there one for V8 since V9 came out. ?
                      (or any previous version. ?) Not a snide question...has there ever been. ?
                      Yes, I believe the last patch for v8 was Build 1980-3163 27-Mar-08 and v9 was out by then.

I am hoping the trend continues.

Comment

Originally posted by RCarvalho View Post
                        Yes, I believe the last patch for v8 was Build 1980-3163 27-Mar-08 and v9 was out by then. ...
                        I believe you are wrong but can't be 100% sure. I do remember there being the same issues Geoff is raising here and I am pretty sure the only answer was "upgrade to V9."

In any case, the final patch for v8 was far more stable and bug free than the current released patch for v9. Like some others, I have had a couple of pre-release v9 patches that fix specific bugs I submitted after release of the last v9 patch. However, the last one (2217-3268) was not in a patch exe (rather 2 zip files) and my last bug fix was only available with the New Browse version, which of course was at that point not ready for prime time. Now I suppose I could prepare my own patch routine with the zip files, but what am I suppose to do about having to use the not quite ready new browse? Plus I know for a fact that others have had v9 bugs fixed in similar unreleased fashion. So what the heck would be the matter with releasing all these already fixed v9 bugs in a final v9 patch? Primarily for economic reasons, none of my current clients are going to upgrade to v10, so we are left in a position that makes me extremely unhappy with this crazy situation. And this from a Certified Alphaholic who has been a happy A5 user for around 2 decades. I am mad as hell and just about ready to not put up with this anymore!

Raymond Lyons

Comment

In any case, the final patch for v8 was far more stable and bug free than the current released patch for v9.
                          I could not agree more. I have a list of items I'm working through before I can try to update to V9 again. I tried once and in order to not lose all credibility as a developer had to pull it and go back to V8. The only reason I continue is I figure V10 will have most if not all of the same issues as V9 along with the new ones that will certainly crop up.

Do I expect a V9 final roll up patch? No. Not unless enough people make a lot of noise and the folks at Alpha decide to quiet the storm. I have V6, V7, V8, V9 and the V10 beta. The pattern I've seen is once a new version is released, the old one is dropped. You may still get "private" patches and I've received them in the past. You may also get a "this is fixed in Version xx" and then you're on your own.
                          Jim Coltz
                          Alpha Custom Database Solutions, LLC
                          A5CustomSolutions.com
                          [email protected]

Comment

I have always been a big believer in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. I have 4 apps running in V9 and all are running without a problem. So even if Alpha came out with a final rolloup patch I would be very hesitant to download it. Maybe, just maybe, the majority of Alpha users are not having the same problems that many of you are having and Alpha is reluctant to release a general patch which may cause problems for some who are having none? Don't know. I hope you all find satisfaction from Alpha, which I think you will.

I do know that I will be upgrading to v10 when it comes out, not to fix any existing problems, but to benefit from the very cool, very quick new features.

Bill
                            Bill Griffin
                            Parkell, Inc

Comment

Personally I would like V9 to continue with bug fixes for about another year while V10 comes in to vogue. I like V9 and am not ready to go full V10 on all projects. From a marketing standpoint, I would keep V9 healthy and available for purchase. I seem to recall Richard saying that would be the case, or maybe it was just support, not the ability to purchase.

I think 'unworkable bugs' depends on what you are building and your technique. Like Bill below I have no problem with any V9 application. But I probably don't deploy the same features as someone who does have significant showstopper bugs. I don't like how the embedded browse behaves, and a couple Grid options don't work at all, but that's all I've experienced in v9. The jumpy embedded browse is hard to avoid, but the Grid issues I work around.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X