Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Payment function for canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment function for canada

Hello,

I have noticed that the Payment and Payment2 functions built into alphafive are based on the American Calculation method (monthly compounding).

In canada the compounding is done a bit differently (semi-annually)
    I have not found a way to apply that change in alphafive.

Has anyone created such a function for Canadian users, or is there a way to edit the existing function and adapt it to our needs ?

Thank you for all help

Re: Payment function for canada

I have also noticed that the function does not accept 45 days to first payment with any way to get a correct figure.

i had to write my own funtion for payments. It was not easy and would not work for semianual(I think).

Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply Dave,

Is there a way to view the code of the function built into Alphafive, so that we have a starting point for writing our own function ?

Or maybe could we see the code of your function to help us out ?

Thanks again, any further advice would be appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by gauvain65 View Post
        I have noticed that the Payment and Payment2 functions built into alphafive are based on the American Calculation method (monthly compounding).
        Jean-Pierre,

It doesn't seem to me that Alpha 5 is necessarily based on monthly compounding. Suppose that you have a loan of $100,000 compounded semi-annually for 30 years at a rate of 1.5% every 6-month period (3% per year). Then we have:
        Code:
        ?payment(100000,.015,60)
        = 2539.342743
        So the semi-annual payment of $2,539.34 would be needed. If you want monthly payments (but still compounded semi-annually), simply divide this by six for six equal installments of $423.22.

My 2 cents.

Steve

Comment

I don't know what their code is, but here is what I have that will give a payment based on 30 to first that conforms to regZ.

Code:

t = years
          n = peryear
          N = n*t
          r = mrate/100
          R = r/n
          P = mprinciple
          dim a as n
          dim b as n
          R=(mrate/100)/peryear
          a=P*R*((1+R)^N)
          b=(1+R)^N-1
          pmtonapr = a/b
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

It been some time since I've attended an accounting course but my old HP 12 c gives a semiannual amount of $250.20. Total over 60 paymentrs $15,011.81.
            In Alpha

?payment2(10000,.015,60)
            = 253.934274271092

The interest rate varies for the number of payments per year. If the interst is 3% per year the semiannual compounted interest rate is 1.5%. If payment is monthly the interst rate is 0.25%. At least that's how I recall it works.

Comment

Jean Pierre:
              I think you are confusing payment() with FV().

In payment() or any amortization function there is no compounding.
              What exactly are you trying to do?

Comment

Thank you for all replies,

Sorry if I am not very clear...(not an accountant :))

what we try to do is create amortization tables for mortgages, some of them being US, and some being Canadian. Since the calculation method is slightly different between the two countries we need to have functions for each scenario.

The aplhafive built in PAYMENT function works for US based mortgages, but not for Canadian based.

So we now try to figure out how to build that specific function.

The problems are:

1) calculation of monthly payment is different
                2) calculation of interest is different
                we need to reslove both of them

Hopes this helps clarify things a bit

Comment

Doug,

The difference between what Alpha provides and what you saw in your accounting class is the difference between an "annuity due" and an "annuity immediate". The $250.20 figure from your class assumes that the payment is made at the beginning of each month (immediate).

On the other hand, the Alpha functions assume that you pay the payment at the end of each month (due). I think there are ways to use the Alpha functions for an immediate annuity with some adjustments (e.g. add the would be interest to the initial balance and add one to the number of payments). But I haven't yet determined what that would be.

Regardless, Alpha should be more descriptive in their help file on the assumptions. Likewise, it would be helpful if they had more parameters to allow for the variations in assumptions (e.g. immediate vs. due; APR rate vs. effective interest rate; etc.).

Gabe:

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                  In payment() or any amortization function there is no compounding.
                  There IS compounding within the payment() function. It assumes that interest is applied every "period". That means compounding every period. Hence, in the example I posted in my previous post, by using 60 periods (2 periods every year), I got the results for compounding semi-annually.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by gauvain65 View Post
                    The aplhafive built in PAYMENT function works for US based mortgages, but not for Canadian based.
                    As I've mentioned above, the Alpha functions have nothing to do with a US standard. They are simply compund interest functions which only are bound to laws of mathematics.

If you want semi-annual compounding, make the number of periods twice the number of years. Also, make the interest rate to be whatever rate applies every six months. Then you get from the payment() function what the semi-annual payment would be. If you are paying monthly, divide that SA payment by six (no compounding in the intervening months).

Steve

Comment

You need to be very careful here. If you are going to be determining mortgage payments for a bank or lending institution you need to work with their accountants and use their formulas and service fees. Watch out for rounding errors. Several years ago I had a mortgage with a bank. The bank was accused of overcharging interest. At the end of the year the bank rounded accounts to the nearest penny. Over several years this error compounted. The bank ended up in a class action suit. A law firm walked away with hundreds of thousands and I and other injured parties received nothing, not even the penny or two they may had overcharged us.

Comment

Steve,
                        You said it better than I. My orginal formula was for a loan of $10,000 you used $100,00. What I find interesting is Alpha gives us an answer of :

?payment(100000,.015,60)
                        = 2539.34274271092

HP 12 C gives an answer of:

Is either of these solutions correct?

Comment

Steve:
                          Alpha's built in payment function evidently presumes payment will be made at the end, not the beginning, of the period and does not give you an option for the latter.

Perhaps it's just semantic, but compounding i.e. paying interest on interest, is not part of amortization. In an amortization function, the interest is calculated based on the remaining balance at the end of the preceding period after principal is deducted. There is no interest charged nor paid against interest.

I suppose "compounding" is used here loosely to mean how often the interest is calculated. That's fine. The monthly payment on a mortgage (Canadian style) on a loan of $100,000 with semi-annual compounding rate of 10% annually amortized over 30 years with equal monthly payments would be: $862.67 . Calculated American style, would be: $877.57.
                          Last edited by G Gabriel; 08-28-2009, 05:15 PM.

Comment

For what it is worth this is the answer in excel:
                            (2,539.342743) This answer agrees with Alpha.

Excel help file explains how to use the formula.

Comment

Which version of Excel do yo have?
                              The one I have does not have Canadian calculation.

Comment

Working...
                              X