Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Backup problem after upgrade to v.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup problem after upgrade to v.9

After I have updated my alpha 8 to version 9 my backups have name and path names truncated. This is an example for the backup file name:

Old usual backup name: Fleming1.zip
    New backup name: FLEMIN~1.zip
    (as you can note it's not just truncated but fully uppercase)

I am afraid the problem can be on the installation process.
    In fact I did not uninstalled the previous version before installing the new one. I tought it was recognized by the installer but not.

Another thing this fact made is that the icon of app is still blue as the old alpha and not green...(naturally this is not important!)

How can I solve all this?

thanks to all

Re: Backup problem after upgrade to v.9

What OS are you using?
    If you go to control panel\programs are both versions of Alpha listed?
    Did you install from a disk or a download?

Comment

Using Win 2000 and now I just have v.9 because I uninstalled the 8 version.
      The setup was the file sent from alphasoftware after the purchase. It was saved and then launched.

I think it's really strange. But I guess I am so unlucky because my alpha are always making strange jokes to me...

Comment

Are you sure there is only one version of Alpha showing in the Programs portion of Windows Control Panel? It sounds like V8 is still installed but, even then, v9 should have taken control either way.

Have you downloaded the latest updates?

If you go into control panel and look at file associations, I suspect you'll see that V8 is the default for the .alb files. Change it to V9.

Comment

Is this zip file being saved to the same folder as before? Did you move it around between disks or folders? Did your look at it with an 'older' program?

Comment

The file is at same place and I'm looking to it normally with windows explorer. Alpha file is associated with alpha 9 but the icon is still blue.

I fount that I still have some folders coming from alpha 8 but I don't know if I can delete them and if this can solve the problem!

Example:
            In C: I have the folder "$AVG8.VAULT$"
            I have an "Alpha Software" folder with just the folder inside "Alpha Five Version 8"
            In the folder "Programs" I still have the "A5V8" folder!
            Inside there is a "JavaScript" folder and several other files.

Naturaly in programs folder I also have the "a5v9" folder.

hope I gave you more infoes for solving the problem..
            Tks Luca

Comment

I think that this is due to some quirk in the configuration of your computer rather than a problem with Alpha. Long filenames can get lost if the files are accessed by older programs which only recognize 8-character MS-DOS filenames or if stored on disk drives which only recognize MS-DOS filenames.

Comment

I have to agree with you on the file naming.

Lucasushi- Did you go to Windows Control Panel and see if both Versions 8 and 9 are installed?

The $...$ file should be temporary and can be deleted. All the other v8 folders can be deleted provided they don't contain your personal database files. I wouldn't do this until I was sure that you checked the control panel to see if V9 is installed and V8 is not showing as installed.

Does Win 2000 have a file associations entry in Windows control panel where you can change them? If V9 is correctly installed, the association should have been changed automatically.

Comment

In the control panel I can confirm that only v.9 is installed and file association is correct.
                  Now I just can delete all alpha 8 folders. Presume the uninstallation wasn't complete because v.9 was installed before? maybe he use some files in that folders?

Maybe I need to upgrade my os?

Comment

Are you backing up to your C: drive or to someplace else?

Win2000 is ancient but it should work ok. Have you installed all the MS updates for it?

Comment

Not sure what the problem is but here is some info that may help you in deciding what it isn't:

1. You can have a copy of every version of A5 (and even A4 which was for DOS) running on one computer and they will not interfere with one another.

2. When you uninstall any version of A5, it will only uninstall the files that where originally installed. There are a number of other files and folders that can be created while using A5 and those files will not be uninstalled. However, they can be deleted after running the initial uninstall.

Another thing this fact made is that the icon of app is still blue as the old alpha and not green...(naturally this is not important!)
                      It may not be important to you but it's probably significant in relation to your problems....

3. If you are seeing a blue icon, then it is probably getting it from the Alpha5.exe file an A5v8 folder. This could be in the folder where the full version is or in a runtime folder. It is also possible to have multiple folders with the full version - not likely, but possible. The v9 file does not even have a blue icon available.

My recommendation would be to simply re-install A5v9 right over top of your current v9 installation - no need to uninstall it first but you can if you want. Don't forget to run the latest update if your installation file is older.

If you are comfortable with it, you could also delete the A5v9 registry info at:
                      HKey_Current_User/Software/Alpha Software/Alpha Five 9.0
                      Just delete the whole key and everything under it before re-installing v9.
                      (Actually, you could just delete that registry key and try re-starting v9. That will normally work but it may not help if the problem is in your installation. So, in this case, I would delete it before re-installing v9.)

Comment

The blue icon is the reason I kept going with this thread because when you install version 9, all the icons should be green, even with V8 installed. Like yourself, it implied that V8 is still in use even though he said he uninstalled it.

I agree that you could just reinstall V9 however I'm thinking (just like you) that he (or Alpha) is using a .exe file from the old V8 folder. It might be more simple to go into the A5V9 folder and create a shortcut with the Alpha5.exe file there and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                        X