Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Many tables in database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many tables in database

I am trying to develop an office management system that will provide not only the ability to track and/or process internal procedures BUT also provide support for external clients. This is a CPA firm that needs to track a number of internal procedures such as tax return status and W2 filing status etc. Each of these are seperate tables. In addition, there are services provided to various clients that also require separate tables. Some of the services for the clients includes mailings etc. I am setting up a menu that will access to any of these functions. What is the best way to handle the data? I know I need to add the table etc., for each function/client to the master database but do I keep them in their individual folders or do I take them out of their folders. I am getting warnings that some of the things that I am trying to do, could cause problems when I try to set this up on the client's system. This whole process requires very strict naming conventions so that I do not mix my apples and oranges. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Many tables in database

Barry,

I can see where you are going to some degree. May I make a few suggestions? You may have better ones come along, but years have helped me.

1 you can have as many companies as you want sharing a table by doing your home work now. A field with a designation code for each company can help. I have designed my software so one app can contain up to 99(could be more) car dealers at a time. each table in the app has a field for the company, so you only see the information associated with that company. A user is given permission to only be in that company or companies.

I disdain the use of folders other than the ONE(there are occassions where this is different). Also if you make changes in anything, you have to make changes to all the folders. A simple field rule change may have to be done many times? Add a field to a table and have to do it many times??

If you make one set of tables(properly done), it will be more simple all the way around and solve many future headaches.

I have in most tables:
    user name
    company number

company table has all info about each company and a user may be associated with more than one company or not. I also have permissions set up so a user may only be able to view certain areas, but cannot add or edit anything.

It takes a little longer initially, but sure saves a lot in the end.

Reason why I did it is: bills ford may also be Bills hyundai and 5 other dealerships with seperate records. a salesperson may work from 3 of the stores and the f&I may work at 1-2 or 7 of the stores. They may all be within and area of 1 big city block. They may also have a used car operation 5 miles down the road. Bills used cars has to be added. Each can pull it's own reports and the owner can also. The owner can pull combined reports from the whole operation. That is 8 complete dealerships?

Everything is in one server at one dealership that is backed up 1 time a day onto a cd. It is also sent to an online server just in case.

My 2 cents is cast.

Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Dave! I was not sure about having many tables like that but to A5 a table is a table. All I have to do is keep the the names straight! Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by webspinner View Post
        All I have to do is keep the the names straight!
        Check it out!

http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/A5_...onventions.htm

Cal gives some good advice.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Unlike Cal(I respect his ability and methods to the highest), I prefer no underscores and short definitive names in any place I use them. I do not expect my end user to see the names of fields or (in most cases)forms/reports/etc. I should be the only one keeping track of those.

I am not sure you got the point above about the not duplicating tables for each customer. I would not! I would only have one set of tables that would hold all client data if it is possible. It is possible either way. Of course, use your own judgement.

Where possible, I would use one table for summarized/collected or derived info. It is simpler. In other words, instead of making a table with tax return info and another for something else. I would make one table with the ability for all.

coid = company id
          dateinp = date intered or appropriate
          field(s) for taxes =
          field(s) for other =

I have one table that holds Insurance agents, Gap companies, Warranty companies, banks for lrnding, Banks for payoff, and a little more. None of these are really related but many tables is a lot harder for me.

Good Luck

Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

The other point about using fewer tables is that if the system is networked, the load time on the workstation will become increasingly longer as the number of tables grows, even in a shadowed environment. Response time could become an issue.

Tom

Comment

May I say, as above. I don't care for underscores. I never use spaces either. Prefering very short names all the way through the app.

Invoice report is better as invoice_report and even better as invorpt. My opinion only.

Heed Cal's and other's(mine too) advice in most any case, then, go do what you want.

Good luck.

Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
              X