Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

auto fill from one field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto fill from one field

Hello,
    I need to put in gender, then have these fields filled in from the man or woman: her, him, she, he, etc. Forgot how to do this.
    Thanks for help.

Re: auto fill from one field

Hi Bruce,

Make your other fields calculated with an if() function.

eg if(left(gender,1)="M","him",her") etc..
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thanks for responding Keith,

I am trying

if(left(gender,man)="his"),if(left(gender,woman)="hers")and it is coming up with Expression does not evaluate to a character expression.

What am I doing wrong.

Thanks again.

Comment

Were you trying to construct

if(left(gender,3)="man","his","hers")

which could also be

if(left(gender,1)="m","his","hers")

left() takes two parameters - character value and number of characters

if(left([gender,3)="man","his","hers")
        if() takes three parameters - logical test, result if true, result if false
        There can be only one.

Comment

Actually I am confused.

I want the he_she field to be like this.

If gender = man then he_she = he; if gender = female then he_she = she.

Etc.

Thanks.

Comment

Code:
            if gender="man" then
                        he_she="he"

else if gender="female"
                        then he_she="she"
            end if

Comment

Bruce

I'm not familiar with how things are in California these days but here in Kentucky we only have two genders.

I translate

as

If gender = man then he_she = he; otherwise then he_she = she. This doesn't allow for lifestyle choices to come into play.

We don't need to worry about the whole word in the gender field. If the left most character in the contents of the gender field is "m", I assume the whole contents of the gender field is "man". With these grantedly parochial concepts in mind I can say

if(left(gender,1) = "m","he","she")

the if() returns one of the two last values ("he" or "she") based on whether the result of left(gender,1) = "m" is true or false.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks for responding: I tried copying and pasting in the fields and there was a response "Expression does not evaluate to a character value. Were there suppose to be some brackets around the words or...?

Comment

Possibly you're having difficulty with the calculated field concept? When you define an expression to derive the value for a calculated field (he_she?) you don't need to assign the value to the field

you just define how the value to be placed in the field should be computed

If gender = man he otherwise she.

The proper way to do this in Alpha is the prior suggested expression.
                  There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartMLMer View Post
                    Thanks for responding: I tried copying and pasting in the fields and there was a response "Expression does not evaluate to a character value. Were there suppose to be some brackets around the words or...?
                    Can you create a screenshot of what you have done? Works fine here.
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Not sure how to put snap shot in. Am using snagit but don't know what to do to insert.

Comment

Not sure how to put snap shot in. Am using snagit but don't know what to do to insert.
                        Start a Reply. click "Go Advanced" to open an advanced message editor dialog. Scroll down. Click "manage Attachments", Upload the attachment; close the upload window; Submit the reply.

Comment

Hi Bruce,

You need to have a field in your table named Gender.

It would be a good idea to have in field rules a choice of Male or Female.

Now in each record the Gender field will be either Male or Female.

As I and Stan have shown you, the Left character of 1 will either be M or F.

If it were 3 characters then it would be either Mal or Fem.

You could simply have a calculated field called Sex, therefor you could have Sex=If(Gender="Male","Man","Woman") or Sex=If(Gender="Male","he","she").

Now you could use the calculated field called Sex with the value of the IF function.

Either way you only need to test for one of the values because in this case there is only a choice of two. Unless you did want to know about a Him_She.
                          Regards
                          Keith Hubert
                          Alpha Guild Member
                          London.
                          KHDB Management Systems
                          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Now you could use the calculated field called Sex with the value of the IF function.
                            Only a programmer would try to find a way to calculate sex....but I did notice the use of the big IF statement so I guess it makes sense! could not resist! :) obviously been sitting here waaay too long!
                            Mike

Comment

I got it. I had to read something and then got what I was suppose to do. Thank you very much. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X