Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filter table Lookup - field rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter table Lookup - field rules

hello,

how to filter a lookup table values based on two or more fields?

supposed i have this fields:...

ProdCode:---1001-------------1002----------------1003
    Category:---Hard Disk--------Hard Disk-----------Hard Disk
    Brand:------Seagate----------Western Digital-----Maxtor
    Model:------st3160zzz--------
    Description:160GB SATA-------160GB SATA----------320GB SATA
    FullDesc: (concatenated value of the 4 fields category, brand, model and description)

... and i wanted to search from another field of the table FullDesc containing the concatenated values of category, brand, model and description.

suppose i want to search hard disk 160GB...

filtered value should give prod code 1001 and 1002.

regards
    Last edited by fddizon; 09-30-2009, 04:33 AM.
    Francis

Re: Filter table Lookup - field rules

Francis,
    I don't think you need the fulldesc field. You can build your filter dynamically and filter the values you would like in the 4 fields in combination. Here is an example.
    Mike W

Comment

Mike,

thanks for the response. your routine is very useful for a flat table. i forgot to mention that i was using the lookup for an invoicing system. searching for a product on a child table (invoice details).

as i see it, filter under table lookup will only filter the records based on the filter criteria, but not filter records as you type? you cannot search in between the fulldescription string.

for example:
      Seagate 320gb hard disk st3320zz

suppose i want to type 320gb

it will return 0 records on the list.
      Seagate should be typed first then the 320gb to show the product you want.

is it possible to use a customized search form for the lookup instead of the built-in field rule lookup table?

open a search form, search for the required product, fetch the product code and set it to the embedded browse (invoice details)..

see attached search form that i use to filter records.
      this search form is only capable of searching in between but not on two criteria. haven't figure out yet how to do it.

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
      Francis,
      I don't think you need the fulldesc field. You can build your filter dynamically and filter the values you would like in the 4 fields in combination. Here is an example.
      Francis

Comment

OK,
        I seemed to be not clear or complete on you selection path as you originally described it. Sorry.
        Last edited by Mike Wilson; 10-01-2009, 12:10 AM.
        Mike W

Comment

Mike,

My apology for not making it clear.

i was offered to convert an inventory system created in clipper for a construction hardware store. he said he cannot use the invoicing system because he struggles to search items because the items has same properties but slight different on the other. if he search for instance an angular bar, made, (not familiar with the exact properties) thickness, size etc... he should know the code for him to be able to add invoice item. what he wants is that he can search/type on the lookup like angular bar, thickness, size or angular bar, size.

its the same problem i encounter with alpha's lookup table. no ability to search in between the strings or multiple parts of the string. have you created a search using another form for an invoice detail entries in replacement with the combo lookup table field rule?

thanks
          and regards
          Francis

Comment

Francis,
            I am not sure why you can't just use the query genie? That allows multiword searches choosing whichever field you wish to search on. Other than that, look at this new example with the "search with words" button.
            Mike W

Comment

I am wondering if Francis is not trying to do it from a dropdown field.
              I am attaching the last sample from MIKE WILSON, but I did create a table with a lookup and a form InvoicelineFOrm

Under normal circumstances the more you type in a dropdown the narrow the results are, but you have to start matching from the first character.
              Is there a wild card to force the field to search in the dropdown only the word entered before drop execution.
              EX: In the product table there are 2 entries with the the word "digital" or one with "2800".
              In other words I type 2800 in the dropdown field fulldescription, I should only see the records in the full description to match the entry 2800.
              How to display those selected records from the dropdown?
              Is it possible?

Comment

Jack,

we have the same problem. last night, i created a form to enter invoice items. i have a button to open the form and on that form is a button to open another form with embedded browse with 3 input box below the browse to enter search parameters and a button to apply the filter. the 3 input boxes are session variables needed for the search. the search works fine but after fetching and closing the search form, the invoice item form does not refresh the products description and unit price of the product.

will post my sample later for everyone interested to help.

thanks

Originally posted by JackForman View Post
                I am wondering if Francis is not trying to do it from a dropdown field.
                I am attaching the last sample from MIKE WILSON, but I did create a table with a lookup and a form InvoicelineFOrm

Under normal circumstances the more you type in a dropdown the narrow the results are, but you have to start matching from the first character.
                Is there a wild card to force the field to search in the dropdown only the word entered before drop execution.
                EX: In the product table there are 2 entries with the the word "digital" or one with "2800".
                In other words I type 2800 in the dropdown field fulldescription, I should only see the records in the full description to match the entry 2800.
                How to display those selected records from the dropdown?
                Is it possible?
                Francis

Comment

Without analyzing the problem in detail, I wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to break the "full description" field into separate fields using an Update operation? This would make it easier for the lookups.

since the only separator is a space, names like western digital would have to be replaced by westerndigital using a search and replace operation so that you could separate the names from the size, etc.
                  Last edited by robert; 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

But robert, the first post states
                    FullDesc: (concatenated value of the 4 fields category, brand, model and description)
                    Francis,
                    Your latest sample will most likely be of use in finding a solution....but be very specific in what you want...and what you are currently getting as results.
                    Mike

Comment

Jack,

you are right. im trying to search from a dropdown lookup field.

to all, i tried a workaround and it works sometime, but not most of the time.
                      im at home right now (having 53kbps wifi connection that is very slow, :( ) hopefully i can post my sample that needs refinement this coming monday or tuesday in our office.

regards and thanks
                      Francis

Comment

Francis, you should experiment with using the KEYWORDSI() function in a new indextag specification. If you define the index as

KEYWORDSI(full_desc)

The index will contain a separate entry for each "word" in the full_desc field, and these entries will be pre-sorted ascending (or descending).

So, if your calc field expression inserted a blank space between the concatenated field values, this kind of index would permit you to do a fetch_find based on any "word" in the full_desc field.

-- tom

Comment

I looked at the definition of keywordsi() and keywords()
                          They both seem to do the same, but Tom can you give an example how to use it in the last sample DB posted.
                          Do you create a separate query?
                          Or can you add it to the dropdown field looking at the lookup table?

Comment

Jack, I'm thinking of a progressive lookup that uses a keywordsi() index. Wouldn't that do the trick?

Comment

Seems unduly & unnecessarily complicating a simple matter.
                              Progressive lookup, that has been discussed and beaten to the ground in many other threads, is all you need.

Comment

Working...
                              X