Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

newbie passive link issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie passive link issue

I am building a tracking data base for sales orders received in, entered into QuickBooks to go out to our mfg. floor, and track product thru all stages of production. After messing around with the QODBC I have found it to be a pain. So I have created a report in QB to export all needed data in excel file (customer, product, due date, etc.) I have a passive link table (Transfer) in Alpha. I now need to link this (transfer table) with multiple(customer, product, and sales order)tables so that inventory, customer, quote tables can be used in the standard set fashion. I am trying to bring data in to populate customer, product, and sales order tables. And only update data that is new or changed within the excel file thru the transfer table. I have tried mapping and sets to do this, but I must be missing the boat because this does not function for me correctly. The sets i have built seem to be only one way parent table (transfer) does not populate child table for some reason. Am I just missing some thing right in front of me?

Re: newbie passive link issue

Originally posted by ketoman View Post
    I am building a tracking data base for sales orders received in, entered into QuickBooks to go out to our mfg. floor, and track product thru all stages of production. After messing around with the QODBC I have found it to be a pain. So I have created a report in QB to export all needed data in excel file (customer, product, due date, etc.) I have a passive link table (Transfer) in Alpha. I now need to link this (transfer table) with multiple(customer, product, and sales order)tables so that inventory, customer, quote tables can be used in the standard set fashion. I am trying to bring data in to populate customer, product, and sales order tables. And only update data that is new or changed within the excel file thru the transfer table. I have tried mapping and sets to do this, but I must be missing the boat because this does not function for me correctly. The sets i have built seem to be only one way parent table (transfer) does not populate child table for some reason. Am I just missing some thing right in front of me?
    I found that using QODBC is the answer to the type of issues that you are raising.

Working with QB data is not like working with most other databases. But then again I don't drive a car like I fly a plane, and I certainly don't fly a plane like I drive a car.

So what are the issues that you have with QODBC that are causing you trouble?

What flavor of QB(year/country/line of business) and what version of QODBC do you have?

edit: Maybe you should download a trial of QReportBuilder. It's an Alpha5 application written to report from QB. It'll help you understand what QODBC does to help with QB data.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

First we are a small company one copy of 2009 QB prem. MFG edition, in accounting office, I am writing application in another office, server is Linux based. QB will not run or even let the company file reside there (just another of proprietary BS of QB). QB must be linked directly to the accounting pc with QODBC and found that the RDS client server does not work on a regular basis due to the fact the client cannot find the RDS server 95% of the time. I have found the fix to this is to change our network structure. That is not going to happen. The server works for all other software except RDS system. It is very fast and very stable. We need only one way data out of QB and into Alpha. The data needed is basically everything found on the QB sales order page (which is a set made from many tables and sub-tables)this seems to be an amazingly tedious task to link. Which is why I opted for the excel route. If there is a better way I am all ears or eyes in this case. I am mfg engineer who believes in keeping things simple.

Comment

To connect to QB with QODBC I have found the most reliable way is to have a copy of the QB client software on the windows machine that is running Alpha and QODBC.

Then I can connect either with the QB company file that is currently open by QB.

Or provide the actual company file name to the QODBC driver and connect without the QB program being open. This is slower at connection time, but more flexible for unattended access.

Here is some additional information that you may find helpful.

Have you looked at QReportBuilder?
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

I have tried the demo, and this is how I found it does not work correctly with our system. Also the fact I would have to purchase another QB prem Package $400 + the Qodbc $150. Then change network around? On top of Alpha Five that the sales rep told be connected directly to QB. This just makes no sense what so ever. I need solid data 12 fields filled into Alpha to alleviate double entry into two programs which is what we do now. QB and Filemaker. And the ability to update this information. I am not trying to write back to QB. Is there anyone who has successfully done this.

Comment

I have tried the demo, and this is how I found it does not work correctly with our system. Also the fact I would have to purchase another QB prem Package $400 + the Qodbc $150. Then change network around? On top of Alpha Five that the sales rep told be connected directly to QB. This just makes no sense what so ever. I need solid data 12 fields filled into Alpha to alleviate double entry into two programs which is what we do now. QB and Filemaker. And the ability to update this information. I am not trying to write back to QB. Is there anyone who has successfully done this.
            Keith

I'm doing this all of the time... From what I'm seeing from your responses, you are not hearing what I telling you to do.

And what does filemaker have to do with this? This is the first that you've mention it.

Slow down and do what I've mentioned previously.
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Al

I appreciate your help,
              maybe I am missing something. I have tried till I am blue in the face to use RDS and QOBDC and cannot maintain connection. The alternative you said was keep everything on one PC that is also impossible for me. I have one copy of QB being used by accounting (second copy is not an option for us at this point)so RDS and using file on accounting is my only option. I only mentioned FileMaker because that is our current system I am leaving, to come to Alpha and I do not want to have the same problems with Alpha as I did with Filemaker.
              (having to double enter everything once in QB and once in Filemaker)

I am trying to create a system where we enter data in QB and have it sent to Alpha for use there. And have it refreshable

Do you feel that it is easier to use QODBC, vs just saving a Custom Sales Order report in an excel file and passive link to an Alpha table.

Comment

Al

I appreciate your help,
                maybe I am missing something. I have tried till I am blue in the face to use RDS and QOBDC and cannot maintain connection. The alternative you said was keep everything on one PC that is also impossible for me. I have one copy of QB being used by accounting (second copy is not an option for us at this point)so RDS and using file on accounting is my only option. I only mentioned FileMaker because that is our current system I am leaving, to come to Alpha and I do not want to have the same problems with Alpha as I did with Filemaker.
                (having to double enter everything once in QB and once in Filemaker)

I am trying to create a system where we enter data in QB and have it sent to Alpha for use there. And have it refreshable

Do you feel that it is easier to use QODBC, vs just saving a Custom Sales Order report in an excel file and passive link to an Alpha table.
                Yes, you want to use QODBC to read the tables from QB rather than get the data from the reports.

You are still making too many assumptions on how this will work when you don't have it working yet.

If only one copy of QB is available, then the refreshing can be done with that machine.

If cost is a factor, then your company will live with having a refresh done overnight. (Unless accounting is working 24/7). It may also be refreshable during the day. I don't know the volume of data per day and the amount of data in the QB company file.

I get the feeling that the value of this process is not understood.

I still don't know what version of QODBC you are using.

When someone continues to use the 'impossible' word and doesn't try what I suggest, I'm lost on how to help. You've really boxed yourself in a corner. You need to move out of that box or you won't get anywhere.
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Albert Einstein

Comment

The current version of QODBC Driver for QuickBooks is 10.00.00.265 I do not think this is a problem. I believe it is more the RDS system between client /server and the way it searches for server. It does not use IP address just DNS. At the moment I have connection to RDS server. And I see how I can access QB tables. But now do I do a passive link table ( sort of just a hand off table) or do all my tables more or less connect passively to their respective QB tables. Say I want to connect Sales Order in QB to basically a duplicate table in Alpha

Comment

The current version of QODBC Driver for QuickBooks is 10.00.00.265 I do not think this is a problem. I believe it is more the RDS system between client /server and the way it searches for server. It does not use IP address just DNS. At the moment I have connection to RDS server. And I see how I can access QB tables. But now do I do a passive link table ( sort of just a hand off table) or do all my tables more or less connect passively to their respective QB tables. Say I want to connect Sales Order in QB to basically a duplicate table in Alpha
                    You should use the passive linked tables to hold the data from QB. Passive linked are essentially imported tables.

I use the listid from QB in Alpha table to tell me which record in the QB table to connect to.

An easy way to manage that is to build a set where the QB PL table is the parent and the Alpha table is the child linked by the listed.

For dramatically improved performance only bring the columns (fields) from the QB tables that you need. And also only bring across only the rows (records) that you need. (where clause)

Watch out.. You'll actually make this work and enjoy it... ;-)

I don't use the RDS method so I can't help in improving it for you. I have too much fun with the direct method because I've found that it works. I like when it works.
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks, I will try this out

Comment

Working...
                      X