Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windows 7 Home Premium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 7 Home Premium

Your statements do show a sense of entitlement. My answers are, pay the money if you want to upgrade, or just don't upgrade anything, stay exactly where you are so there is no cost, if that's what is important to you. I 'give' Alpha about a thousand dollars every couple years for upgrades to Alpha or software related to Alpha upgrades. There are plenty of other applications that must be upgraded to run on Windows 7, and at a much higher cost than Alpha. Adobe CS3 will cost me about $600.

No one has yet been able to say if an application developed in V8 will run without modification in V10.
    This is an entitlement statement. As suggested, search this board, but it is your job to figure this out because the true answer is upgrading an app from V7, 8 9 entirely depends on the application. Someone else reporting 'success' on their particular application means very little.

I can absolutely guarantee you that NO application will upgrade to V10 with out some modification. To upgrade to V10 without modification would also be a complete waste of money. You want to modify your application when you upgrade to V10.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      I can absolutely guarantee you that NO application will upgrade to V10 with out some modification.
      While sometimes there are modifications required, very careful planning (requires some degree of being psychic - in other words choosing the best functions and methods to use) and good code can work through many versions. My CSDA Code Utility required no new code. The install changed a bit as to the best directories that it went to, but everything else continued to work. There were specific maintenance releases that introduced bugs, but that was temporary until they fixed those.

The web side has changed more extensively, and probably does need modifications in general.

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      To upgrade to V10 without modification would also be a complete waste of money. You want to modify your application when you upgrade to V10.
      On the web side, that is definitely true. There are just too many improvements not to take advantage of them. The desktop may not justify the improvements vs new development costs. But there are many free improvements where code run's faster without any application changes.
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Following all the posts regarding my comments it has now become obvious. Quite a few years ago I purchased Alpha as it was advertised as easy to use and affordable. Both criteria were met and it was with Alpha that I developed my first relational database. In fact i still use it, but that is because it is DOS based. A case of 'if it is not broke, do not fix it'. Then a Windows based Alpha came about and I purchased that and developed applications. If needed, beacuse of advanced features, I upgraded and paid for versions of Alpha. Perhaps good marketing such as free previous version of Alpha on the front of a magazine with a time restricted version of the latest release and I paid/upgraded to that. But data is historic. It seems as if Alpha is no longer the dbm that is aimed at me as a customer. originally it was easy to use and priced at my market and wallet. Although the former may well, and perhaps I wold say IS, true. The latter is not.
        Others can show that will have to spend $1000's or �1000's on other software to cope withh Windows 7. But that is not what I am saying. In my case, when migrating to Vista, the only package I had to upgrade was Alpha. I was warned by Alpha that although my version 'appeared' to work with Vista data integity could not be assured. well for a dbm system, data integrity is important.
        Alpha is ideal for me with reagrd to easy of use for what I do. Over the years it seems as if it has matured to a product which is no longer aimed at me and the market which I represent. Perhaps 'con' a word I used in a previous post was too strong. I have missed the point. For whatever reason, be it Alphas change of target market or a reason which I am sure you can enlighten, Alpha maybe is not for me.
        Now after a further week of migrating I can report that I have met an application that does not work with Windows 7 or to be more precise IE8. Its a free application so that I can print postage stamps supplied by Royal Mail. To date, all my commercial applications work or a patch has been downloaded.
        Of course I also read that if I did pay for Alpha V10, I quote Quote:
        Originally Posted by Steve Wood
        I can absolutely guarantee you that NO application will upgrade to V10 with out some modification.

I am afraid that, as I stated earlier that Alpha was/is easy to use, my code perhaps was not ideal so the thought of having to modify my applicaton to get it to qwork in V10 is another reason why not to follow that route.

Comment

Also to try and make sure other users are aware---IE8 also has a compatibility view....for one or all websites. Which means it also is NOT an issue that should be a show stopper. That is, if it indeed works--am curious if it does for sure for whatever problems are found due to IE8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197
          Mike

Comment

I have no idea what you problem is. Alpha 5 V9 works just fine on my Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7 Home premium. There was one minor glitch with the Amunyi print driver for creating pdfs, but someone posted a fix for that on this bulletin board.

I do have one program that absolutely refused to run on Windows 7 - MICROSOFT Streets and Trips 2007. Microft technical support had no solution but Microsoft was gracious enough to provide me with a copy of the 2009 version which is compatible with Windows 7.

I think that it interesting that Alpha's legacy software runs flawlessly on Windows 7 while Microft's legacy software chokes.

Comment

Did Donjan ever get a reply from Alpha and was the problem resolved?
              It would seem that if he installed V8 or 9 with his legitimate serial number, the licensing shouldn't have been an issue.

I thought you could run legacy programs either in compatibility mode or virtual XP with Win 7.

Comment

Could Alpha Software please put a 'sticky' post, somewhere in the forum, explaining how to configure Win 7 and the various versions of Alpha so that legacy applications work 'flawlessly'? That way the same Win 7 questions would not need to be asked and answered repeatedly.

Comment

If you have any recent AMD chip, or an Intel chip with "virtulization technology" enabled, then you can run Win 7 with XP Mode and Virtual PC. This should solve most all compatibility issues, but I don't know what version number the operating system returns. Go to www.microsoft.com/virtualpc

Bill.

Comment

Kevin - I think I was too harsh earlier. There are definitely two groups up here - those deep in to Alpha to earn their living, where we HAVE to keep up no matter the cost. The other group is trying to maintain existing systems, and occassionally build new systems, but the focus is on the existing systems and running your business.

I'm part of the first group and it is harder to complain about incremental cost, it's just part of the cost of building a business. And Alpha really gives me a lot back due to my focus. But I can see how it would be more painful, more annoying really if I were focused on maintaining an existing system, especially given the changes in OS forced upon us.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Bill, I don't think he can install it on Home Premium - he will have to upgrade to at least 7 Professional

be interesting to see if 4.5 will run with it
                      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                      972 524 8714
                      [email protected]

Comment

Whoa. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium and I'm running Alpha5 Version 8 Professional Edition (not the application server version). There is a bit of confusion about the compatibility mode. I am not using the XP compatibility mode (virtualization) which only comes with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. Rather, I'm telling Windows 7 to run Alpha5 Version 8 as if I'm running Windows Vista. This setting is found by right-clicking the shortcut to Alpha5 Version 8 in the start menu, then left-clicking on Properties.

Here's a screen shot of the properties tab:

If the image link doesn't work, it's http://www.ckistler.us/a5v8.jpg

Just click Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Vista SP2.

Hopefully this will clear up some confusion.

Comment

Thanks Charles!

I also upgraded to Windows 7 recently and and V9 did not run anymore.

I can now run my V9 under Windows 7 again using you suggestions to run it in compatibility mode for Windows Vista SP2.

regards, Ron

Comment

Working...
                          X