Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sets seem to be very slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sets seem to be very slow

Hi all; I am new to Alpha Five, have only been using it for a couple of months. I am particularly interested in the Active Link aspect of it. I have made a couple of apps that access tables on a Microsoft SQL Server (2005), and have discovered the following. Individual active link tables appear to perform pretty well in browsing. Any time I create a set, performance is badly degraded. The tables in the set I am working with are not large: the primary table contains approximately 16,000 records, the other 2 related tables contain around 30,000 records each. they are joined on a field called WorkOrderID. The field is a keyed field on the SQL server in all 3 tables. I can duplicate this same setup in Access 2007, and performance is great, so I am sure there is no problem with the server. This same server has many other tables that are much larger, but I just want to work with some smaller ones for now. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve performance, I am all ears. Or if this is a known bug, let me know that too. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Sets seem to be very slow

I do not have a need nor do I work with activelink tables right now.

I do believe you had to generate a connection string to connect these tables to alpha. May i suggest you post your connections and how you set up your sets.

maybe a couple of the people doing a lot of this can come to your aide better?

Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Lew,

First off....welcome to the board!

The discussion in the post below just recently appeared in the app server section. Some folks mention that using views in SQL and then connecting Alpha to that SQL view is a snappier way to go. Perhaps the link below can help some. I have only lightly played with MySQL and Alpha so I cannot offer first hand advice. But, hopefully this will help some.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...light=sql+view

Also, you might do a search on the board about the buffer setting on your activelink tables...I seem to remember something about that from days gone by here.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

DaveM: I will post the connection strings tomorrow when I get back to work.

jkletrovets: I will try setting up some views on the SQL server, and see if that yields a better result. I'm not sure where you set the buffer settings, but will look for that also and try adjusting.

Reading through the forums, people seem to be helpful. I come from a background of Clarion, but haven't worked in it for a while. Prior to that Clipper (if anyone remembers it lol).

Comment

Yeah Lew....you will find the folks on this board are quite helpful and there are some folks with some BIG TIME knowledge of Alpha on here that are very willing to share that knowledge.

I have been helped many times here. One of the biggest assets Alpha has is this message board....so drop back after if you have more questions. More than likely someone will be able to help you.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I can't seem to find an option that will allow me to change the buffer settings on an Active Link table. Does that option not apply to Active Link tables?

Comment

Hi DaveM; here is the connection string
              {A5API='SQLServer',Server='SUADR',Trusted_connection=yes,Database='livedb'}
              It was generated by Alpha Five when I connected to the Active Link tables.

Comment

Lew,

I think I threw you off by using wrong terminology. It is the fetch limit I was thinking about. I have only played with ActiveLink tables so I am just going from past readings here.

But, this thread may be of some help. I'll look a little more.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Lew

Here is some more info that might be of help..

http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...LinkTables.htm

Search on Fetch on that page and there is some info regarding its use in active link tables.

Sorry I could not be more definitive with my answer...just trying to get you going in a possible direction for a good outcome for you.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by cx600 View Post
                    jkletrovets: I will try setting up some views on the SQL server, and see if that yields a better result. I'm not sure where you set the buffer settings, but will look for that also and try adjusting.
                    What is the result of the view testing ?

I would think that is the best way to proceed. That way more of the work is done on the server prior to sending the data to client.

Additional parameters can be manually typed in to the SQL connection. Where they are used or not is something to verify.
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD
                    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I created a view on the SQL server, but had some trouble getting it layed out the way I wanted in Alpha then. Basically, there are 3 tables: The WorkOrder table, the WorkOrderLabor table, and the WorkOrderText table. Each work order can have multiple labor and text records associated with it. The best layout for my purpose would be to have 3 browses on a form, and when I scrolled through the WorkOrder browse, the other 2 browses would show the associated entries from the Labor and Text tables. It doesn't seem like I can achieve that using a view from the SQL server. Maybe some of you veteran Alpha Fivers can tell me if this idea is just not easily implemented.

Comment

Hi Lew,

Yes, given that scenario...the view appears to not be the best solution. I guess play around with that Fetch Limit I mentioned. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Also, there was another thread recently that connecting directly to SQL (without activelink) could yield dramtic performance improvements if the fetch limit does not do the trick for you.

Sorry I couldn't offer more definitive help.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

I also found that sets significantly degraded the performance of active link tables. What I've done instead is to make direct calls to SQL and populate Xdialogs. That works more or less instantaneously but unfortunately it entails a fair amount of programming. You can get some guidance by looking at "List Views Master-Detail" in the "Learning Xdialog" reference.

Comment

Peter; thanks for the reply. Looks like I will need to learn xbasic very well if I am to use Alpha Five for accessing SQL databases the way I hoped. I am somewhat disappointed that it can't be done "the easy way," which is why I selected Alpha Five in the first place.

Thanks again for all the help here guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X