Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Image Selector Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Selector Help.

Hi Guys,

Please see attached mini sample app.

I will have a selection of images in the library, I would like the user to be able to click a radio button to choose which image they want to store in the record. The selected image will then be used in reports.

As I dont want to bloat the table, I will only want to store the file ref.

What is the best way to do this?

All help greatfully received.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Re: Image Selector Help.

Keith,

I'm confused. You have an image file reference field at the top of the form. You have two images next to the radio button.

I would like the user to be able to click a radio button to choose which image they want to store in the record.
    Choose between which of the three images?
    There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Your confused, so am I. I was hoping to start off simple and go from there.

The idea is that the user will have a choice of one image from each of a different category. Lets say there will be 5 images in each category. All the images will be displayed on the form but are not in the record. I would like the user to be able to click a radio button in each category and that will save to the record, the image reference.

I will then be able to use that reference to display the image in a report. Well thats the idea.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

All the images will be displayed on the form but are not in the record.
        Won't all five image file references have to be already stored in the record in order for them to appear on the form?
        There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

Won't all five image file references have to be already stored in the record in order for them to appear on the form?
          No. I will be setting those images as part of the layout design.

They will only be there so the users know what image they will be selecting and will be used on the report.
          Regards
          Keith Hubert
          Alpha Guild Member
          London.
          KHDB Management Systems
          Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Becoming clearer, but....

Your images on the form are bitmaps from the <addin> library. As such they are not available to be referenced in an image file reference field. I suppose it is possible to

capture the choice via the radio button
            read the bitmap from the library
            create a bitmap (or other type) file from the library bitmap
            save that bitmap somewhere
            change the image file reference field to use the new file

Seems like a lot of work.
            There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan,

The images on the form are there only as an image. They will be added to the form as any other image. I only put those images into the sample app to keep it small.

The data behind the radio button is what will be key issue.

What I have done is create a table with all the images needed (see attached). So what I'm thinking now is have a value saved in the table from the radio button choices. This value can then be used in a lookup calculated field on the report.

How does that sound? Is it do-able like that, or would you have a better recommendation?
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Keith,
                I don't know if this will help, but we keep images of employees and clients in separate folders on our server. Each is uniquely identified with either an employee number(employees) or a case number(clients). They are stored as .jpg files in hidden folders. When requested, we just use the employee number or case number to do a bitmap load onto the form where we want to see the person. We create employee/client ID cards in this manner. We have some code in the on_printinit event to drop the .jpg onto the report

Code:
                'Date Created: 15-Mar-2005 04:04:52 PM
                'Last Updated: 05-Mar-2009 11:25:30 AM
                'Created By  : Tom Henkel
                'Updated By  : Thomas Henkel
                dim filename1 as C
                filename1 = "f:\PHOTO"+CHR(92)+alltrim(BADGENO)+".JPG"
                sigfile = "S:"+CHR(92)+alltrim(BADGENO)+"s.JPG"
                IF FILE.EXISTS(filename1)
                	bitmap6.bitmap.filename = filename1
                  ELSE
                  	bitmap6.bitmap.filename = "f:\PHOTO\blank.jpg"
                END IF
                IF FILE.EXISTS(sigfile)
                	bitmap1.bitmap.filename = sigfile
                  ELSE
                  	bitmap1.bitmap.filename = "f:\PHOTO\blanksig.jpg"
                END IF
                We have signatures stored in a hidden folder as well. That is the reference to sigfile.

What I am thinking is that if you have a imited number of images, then you could load them to the radio button select on your form from the folder. You already know the identifier, so you can then just place the selected identifier into your table. When needed for a report, just drop the image using the on_printinit code.

BTW, the drives mapped as "f" and "S" are only available to selected people, and blocked to all others. Lest someone tells me that this is too open for fraud.

Tom

Comment

I didn'topen any zip files. Sounds to me you are WAY over-thinking this.
                  Put the images on buttons, click a button, OnPush event assigns the image reference name.
                  Have to have radio?
                  OK, get a radio and associate it with the buttons.

Comment

Hi Gabe,

The reason I want radio buttons is that user can only select a single image in each category.

How would you store the image file ref in the radio button?
                    Regards
                    Keith Hubert
                    Alpha Guild Member
                    London.
                    KHDB Management Systems
                    Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

You could make the radio buttons populate dynamically with the file names and images.

Comment

Hi Gabe,

Please can you show me how to fill a radio button dynamically with the file names and images.

I want to save in the field the Image path reference. This is the field that will hold a value from the radio button. This same field will be used to print the image on a report.
                        Regards
                        Keith Hubert
                        Alpha Guild Member
                        London.
                        KHDB Management Systems
                        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Will do.. later.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                            The reason I want radio buttons is that user can only select a single image in each category.
                            You don't have to wait on me for this.. you don't need a radio button. You could do it as I said earlier with a bunch of buttons with the images on them. The user could push 10 buttons, it wouldn't matter, only the last button pushed will determine what image file to use.

But if you gotta have the radio, just give me a little time to do this. It would help if you could attach a zip file with the desired images. It will save me some time.

Comment

Hi Gabe,

I appreciate you idea, sounds interesting. At this time I did not want to give the user the choice of clicking buttons. Click radio button and the choice is visable and the reference is saved in the record.

I have attached Care Symbols. I would be using them for each category they belonged to. ie Wash symbols for a Wash field symbol. etc.
                              Regards
                              Keith Hubert
                              Alpha Guild Member
                              London.
                              KHDB Management Systems
                              Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Working...
                              X