Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Untie labels from fields in report design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Untie labels from fields in report design

I am a new Alpha Five user, so would you excuse me if I'm asking maybe a stupid question.
    I have some difficulties in following the video training, due to different behaviour in my installation from the one on the teacher's side.
    In particular, when the teacher drags'n'drop multiple fields onto a report in design mode, I see he can easily take ONLY the lables (with a rubberband box) and move them to the header, while I can't because in my case the labels remain firmly tied to the data fields.
    The only chance I have is:
    1 - stop the video
    2 - select the labels one by one with two different clicks - the second untie the label from his own field
    3 - move them - one by one - in the header section
    Is there a parameter to globally specify a different behaviour of Alpha Five?
    Thanks
    Fabio Mantovani
    Last edited by alfatrading; 11-14-2009, 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar
    Hourly rate: 50 - If you look: 60 - If you laugh: 70 - If you tried yourself before: 100

Re: Untie labels from fields in report design

The options should be on the top of your drag/drop list, though for Titles Only it may not be obvious that it is even there. See below.

Comment

Hi Fabio,

Also you can control whether to group or un-group by selecting a number of controls and click the active icon on the toolbar, shown in the red box.

See attached.
      Regards
      Keith Hubert
      Alpha Guild Member
      London.
      KHDB Management Systems
      Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thank you all, guys.
        Hourly rate: 50 - If you look: 60 - If you laugh: 70 - If you tried yourself before: 100

Comment

Quite strange I answer to my own question, but to be of any help to others reading this post in the future, I found the place in which to operate the permanent change:
          View / Settings / Styles -> Automatic group fields & titles
          See also the thumbnail

Comment

Fabio,

But does this do what you asked about in your original question? It does not for me. Maybe I misunderstood the original question. Then again, for me the "Automatically group fields and titles" under settings does not appear to have any effect at all. So either I am missing something, using a weird version or this is a bug.

Comment

Hi Raymond,

It seems that the choices from the Drag Drop List override the Settings.

What you can use from the Settings is the Spacing.

I would like to see how to set the Label to default to Bold.
              Regards
              Keith Hubert
              Alpha Guild Member
              London.
              KHDB Management Systems
              Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Hubert View Post
                It seems that the choices from the Drag Drop List override the Settings..
                Which means there is no point in having that option in settings. It should be removed, either that or which overrides which should be reversed.

I would like to see how to set the Label to default to Bold.
                Uh, mine does default to bold. Yours does not? I don't think I have anything special set in mine. [Later: Ah, ha, you mean on forms. For me the default for field labels on reports is bold but not on forms. However, on forms if one does not have labels grouped with fields one can lasso the labels and use the Text Toolbar to quickly make them all bold.]

Ray

Comment

Ray, Keith,
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Keith Hubert
                  It seems that the choices from the Drag Drop List override the Settings..

Which means there is no point in having that option in settings. It should be removed, either that or which overrides which should be reversed.
                  The settings for grouping is for forms not reports.
                  Mike

Comment

True for me also.
                    When I found that option in preferences I though I was through the issue, but didn't test it.

The right choice is either to place the fields with lables, ungroup them and then select the labels for moving them in the header

or

using the options in the toolbar, choose the labels, place them and then choose the fields and do the same

One final question: HOW DOES STEVE WORKINGS DID THE TRAINING VIDEO, INSTEAD? :)
                    Because in his installations everything works the way it should!
                    Last edited by alfatrading; 11-17-2009, 04:30 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by alfatrading View Post
                      ....using the options in the toolbar, choose the labels, place them and then choose the fields and do the same
                      Once the report layout is created (with a header) I believe you have to do it this way (as above) as the header and detail are separate areas.

One final question: HOW DOES STEVE WORKINGS DID THE TRAINING VIDEO, INSTEAD? :)
                      Because in his installations everything works the way it should!
                      Maybe Steve was using the Quick Report option when creating a new report? Actually, from your original post it does not appear that Steve is using the Quick Report option, so I have no idea what magic he might be using. You might try contacting him directly with the question, as it seems he is not reading this thread.

Comment

No, he was using a blank report, dragged fields to the detail section, 'magically' select the labels (top row) with a rubberband and then drags the label in the header.

I'll try to get this attention on this thread with a personal message.

Comment

Fabio,
                          I am not understanding where the problem lies....what is it that you want to do and cannot?? Take a look at the small video attached where I show the basics of fields/titles/grouping.... Maybe we can get closer to understanding what it is that is confusing you!! :)

Video is on the quiet side as am the only one awake here!! Also, not all that adept at creating these yet--cuts off at the end.

Edit--regarding choosing more than one title that has been grouped when multiple fields are brought over....do the same as I did in the video by placing focus on the titles with a lasso instead (left click, hold and drag a selection rectangle to have just the titles become "highlighted/in focus"....then drag the titles into the header or wherever.
                          Last edited by MikeC; 11-18-2009, 12:59 AM.
                          Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X