Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Splitting a table - how do you do it exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting a table - how do you do it exactly?

Hi,

I'm trying to re-build our dog training club's membership database, orginally in Access 2003, eventually with A5 v10 but am currently experimenting with v9.

The database currently has three major tables; member, dog and payment. Our membership, however, is per household and as there can be more than one handler in one household, I've decided to separate handler portion from member table.

Sounded easy enough but I can't seem to find instruction on how to split a table into multiple tables within Alpha 5.

Could someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you heaps.

Maki

Re: Splitting a table - how do you do it exactly?

There really is no "split the table" routine.

There are probably a lot of missing details here because the details of each specific application are unique. So, here is just a basic outline:

Step 1: MAKE A BACKUP! (This is ALWAYS rule #1.)
    Step 1a: (This is my personal rule) Don't delete that backup until the application has been in production for at least a month and preferably longer. Unexpected things can happen - and Murphy says they are more likely to happen if you delete the backup too soon. (Think about that a minute.)
    Step 2: Determine what fields need to be moved into a new table.
    Step 3: Run a 'Copy' operation* to copy all records from the current table to a new table. (The Copy operation will create the new table.) You will probably want to copy the Field Rules and Indexes as well. (Hmmm, I've never tried that when only copying a subset of the fields - not sure how it will work.)
    Step 4: Open the new table to Edit Structure and add any other fields that might be needed. (Maybe none - can't tell without knowing what you have and what you need.)
    Step 5: Open the original table and remove the fields that were copied to the new table.

WARNING: There is probably a linking field that was copied to the new table and needs to remain in the original table as well.

*To start a Copy operation, right click on the table in the A5 Control Panel, select Create Operation ..., select Copy Records and follow the instructions.

Comment

Thank you, Cal, for the posting.

I read your instruction, thought through a little more and figured simple splitting wasn't going to get the results I wanted. Sorry!!:o

The situation is like this:

The memebership table started out as an ordinary one; with fields such as
      -Surname
      -First name
      -Address
      -Suburb
      -State
      -Postcode
      -Phone number
      ..... etc

We soon realised that there were often times when people put more than one record in enrolment application form's fields, such as "Surname", "First name", "Mobile phone no." and "Email". So fields like "Surname 2", "First name 2", and so on, were added to the same table to accommodate secondary handler's info but this, as all database expert can tell, wasn't a smart move and I would like to normalise the table by taking out fields like "Surname", "First name", "Mobile no.", "Email" and put them in another table.

I'd since realised that simple splitting would make the new table with duplicate fields like "Surname" and "Surname 2" and that wasn't what I wanted.

I'm going to have to have records in both "Surname" and "Surname 2" in one field "Surname" in the new table, at the same time add prime and foreign keys to each record.

It might be easier to create a table using MS Excel first...
      I still consider myself beginner to databasing and am more comfortable using Excel.

I'd still appreciate other suggestions.

Thanks & cheers,

Maki

Comment

Hi Maki,

Having done this a few times,

1 make the backup as stated earlier - most important thing you can do.

2 duplicate your table completely to a new name(indexes, records, etc)

3 delete all unused fields in the new table and the old table. That will leave what you want in each table.

Now: the hard part:

you want one table with an address field(call it what you want) only like 123mainst34448 as a header table. The same field needs to be in each table you use in the set you need to build. Yes this is a bit advanced. Your customer table will connect to the set as a one to one on . Each handler in the handler table will also connect by this number as a one to many. The animals will do the same as a one to many. You can also connect the anilmals to the handlers by way of another field you make on a one to many connection. Same set or a different one.

I would have one table as header with st numb, address, city, st, zip, and connect field. The connect field would be a calculated field like "trim(address)+trim(zip)". this field would connect and fill the other table fields as you add records within the set.

This way your people table is connectable to the header and to the animals. Your animals are connectible to the header and handler depending on the sets. Suggest you read the help files dealing with sets.

The way I laid this out should give you all the flexibility for now and in the future. Or, you could do it other ways.

Please let it be known how it works out?

see attached example? unzip in a folder somewhere?

Last edited by DaveM; 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
        X